PDA

View Full Version : Masters of Hung Gar / Update

South Paw
09-22-2001, 01:14 PM
Do visit the site of the EHGA to see a text with pictures on the famous masters of Hung Gar

web page (http://www.ehga.org/eng/masters.html)

South Paw

Ben Gash
09-22-2001, 11:26 PM
Um, I'm sorry Southpaw, but the dates don't add up.
IF Nan Sil Lum was destroyed in 1720, and Even if Luk Ah Choy was 19 (the earliest he could have gotten there from that story) and only trained there for 6 weeks, he would have died in 1759. Now even if Wong Kay Yin started training at birth he would have been 88 years old when he fathered Wong Fei Hung.

"Weapons are the embodiments of fear,
the wise use them only when they have no choice"
Lao Tzu

South Paw
09-22-2001, 11:51 PM
Thanks Ben. It has been told to us before. We are working on a proper text.

If we believe these stories to be true then these dates are surely in conflict with eachother.

Do you have any suggestions?

South Paw

bean curd
09-24-2001, 09:26 AM
regarding these dates etc, may i ask what your source of referance(s) where, it may explain why it has been written the way it has

South Paw
09-24-2001, 04:11 PM
The sources are mentioned within the text.

Another source tells us that the Southern Shaolin Temple was burnt in the 32nd year of the Emperor Qian Long (1768) by Ching soldiers and Wudang experts.

Apart from this story the date 1768 makes more sence. But then we are also one generation short!

Therefore the lineage often is seen like this:

Luk Ah Choy
I
Wong Tai (Father)
I
Wong Kai Ying (Son)
I
Wong Fei Hung (Grandson)
I
Etc.

This is actually the lineage as we find it in the Book Gung Gee Fook Fu Kuen, and sometimes is shown on Hung Gar websites.

Example:web page (http://www.fuhok.com/lineage.htm)

South Paw

CPS
09-24-2001, 07:44 PM
Considering Wong Keiying died in the second half of the 19th century, I think Wong Tai should be added indeed. Maybe there are some more people in between that we do not know of, since the time span is pretty big.