PDA

View Full Version : What's your view on this?

Royal Dragon
09-06-2002, 07:12 PM
http://www.anyboard.net/rec/royaldragon/posts/1150.html

SifuAbel
09-06-2002, 08:16 PM
Pure marketing, there is nothing new or evovled about such things.

SevenStar
09-06-2002, 08:59 PM
It's not new or evolved, but it is becoming a style. muay thai + bjj = shootfighting. vale tudo is another. They are only doing what the CMA have been doing for years - crosstraining. There's nothing wrong with it, and it's a necessity if you're going to be proficient in the ring, and is helpful on the street as you will be proficient in all ranges. MMA and CMA are merely two means to a similar end as far as combat goes.

dre
09-06-2002, 09:08 PM
Really? I don't think so. To add to one range detracts in another. Porficient in all, maybe, expert at any? Doubt it.

I love being the Devils' advocate.

SevenStar
09-06-2002, 10:05 PM
I've got to disagree with that. If that were so, CMA should be half ass as they train long and short ranges. so, if you practice longfist, your chin na sucks, right? if you practice muay thai, your long range sucks? the only way one detracts from the other is if you give precedence to one, in which case, the one you give precedence to would dominate, naturally. In any event, experience in all of the ranges is better than none. If you don't grapple and get taken down, you're done. if you don't work the clinch and you fight a shuai chiao guy, you're done. no sense fighting on a wing and a prayer.

"To fight without hope of winning is the act of foolish men" can't remember who said that....

SevenStar
09-06-2002, 10:08 PM
what will detract however, is training differing styles that work the same range, if the principles are drastically different. If you train say, judo and shuai chiao, you should be okay. But if you train muay thai and longfist, something's gotta give somewhere.

No_Know
09-07-2002, 12:07 AM
To study Up, does not men that one cannot study down. As long asone is using a system that incorporates the study of Up And Down.

Mixed Martial Arts cannot be becomming a styly of it's own due to lack of formalization.

Not all would have the same mix. Therefore no format to Mixed Martial Arts. Therefore no new style ~ No style unto itself.

Nick Monticello
09-07-2002, 05:00 AM
Other than that, MMA is becomming a style. It's only a matter of time before some one learns all the core styles thier entirety and begins teaching them as a single system. The his top students will do the same, and so on and so on and caplaow, MMA is a standardised martial art. It's going that way.

Everyone will have their own sub style of it too, but it's all MMA. America's first real martial art (Except for Kenmpo)

Oh and someone go to RD's site and say "Something" so he stops crying for attention :rolleyes:

He's got this same post on all the major forums.

Wilson
09-07-2002, 08:00 AM
To study Up, does not men that one cannot study down. As long asone is using a system that incorporates the study of Up And Down.

Or, if you think of the duality, there is not up without down. So therefore, when you study up, you are actually studying down. Ooops, to philisophical.

As far as this thread goes, I do think that fighters are becomming more proficient at MMA. I don't agree that a new "superior" martial art will emerge from this however. Look at the old boxers. They used to hold their hands with the palms towards their face. Someone changed that and was successful, now most boxers hold their hands differently from the past. Same thing is happnening in MMA. CMA has been around a long, long time. There is still room for refinement I'm sure. I'll let you know after 40 years or so of practice though.

SevenStar
09-09-2002, 08:28 AM
When is RD not trying to drum up hits to his site? :) I think MMA can definitely be termed as it's own style though. there is no lack of formalization, it's merely loose. look at all of the various styles of longfist. Isn't it all still longfist? some systems don't have any of the same forms common, and some have common forms but do them differently. it adheres to longfist principles though and is still longfist. The framework of mma is that you need a stand up style and a grappling style. If you study karate and judo, youfall into that frame. muay thai and bjj, boxing and sambo, etc. end there is even more structure within that. the grappling styles are different, but share many similarities

TkdWarrior
09-10-2002, 09:59 PM
well in earlier days shaolin students(monks) used to study different style of MA's so they wer obviously cross training...which is very important,
even outside shaolin students was crosstraining most of times, and streets in china was like that...they provided that kind of enviornment, but today the things hav changed, we try to master only one art and closes our eyes to others...

if u take one art it's no way complete in itself,
Like TKD(my Art) for example we do all sort of grappling but it's tough when some wrestler shoots down and take me down...
but for the person who's doin savate this wont be much prob.
technically speaking TKD should be able to tackle shoot downs but TKD'st(normally) r not good enough kicking low
same with savate they find little bit of probs against boxers...
it goes for almost every art, every art has its pro n cons...
now for instance taking my xample simple leg shoot down from grappler can be tackled in TKD style by just lowering ur stance(includes big stances) from there u can go for short range weapons like punches, elbows, head butt and shoulder(if u know how??hsingYi ppl)
u'll find every method in ur art but of course u hav to improvise urself...

-TkdWarrior- :cool:

SevenStar
09-11-2002, 11:18 AM
"now for instance taking my xample simple leg shoot down from grappler can be tackled in TKD style by just lowering ur stance(includes big stances) from there u can go for short range weapons like punches, elbows, head butt and shoulder(if u know how??hsingYi ppl)"

Have you tried that against a grappler? remember that while doing the double leg, he has forward momentum which you have to either evade or stop. Also, since a grappler would rather fight from a clinch or on the ground, you may not have as much time as you think to lower your stance. Once you are off balance, all of those elbows have lessened effect, as you are being driven backwards.

Kristoffer
09-14-2002, 07:26 AM
i dunno what to think of this.... I 've learned never to assume anything.