PDA

View Full Version : Private Lessons?

phoenix-eye
09-07-2002, 03:57 PM
Who takes private lessons or restricted class (no more than 5 persons) here? If so, how much do you generally pay and is it worth it?

I am going to get a restricted class lesson from Sifu Kwong Wing Lam next weekend and am really looking forward to it.

qeySuS
09-07-2002, 04:06 PM
Never been to a Kung Fu private, but i´ve been to a BJJ private once, it was a half hour private and it cost me 50$.

That's the norm for BJJ, 100$ for an hour and 50$ for half.

Tvebak
09-07-2002, 04:12 PM
My xingyi class is rather small...so often we will be less than five people attending.
Its really great to have so much time with the teacher.

friday
09-07-2002, 04:49 PM
ive been to private lessons ...
abt 5 times a wk for...2mths
hohoho
i didn't pay an hourly rate
actually i didn't have to pay at all
but in hk its customary to pay a red envelope. i ended up paying $3000 HKD out of my own initiative its more a respect thing and a thankyou for their teaching
also he is my sifu disciple thingy.
and when u include that i spent an average of 3-5 hrs training aeach day there hmmm...approx 40days training x 4 hrs a day = 160hrs training
about 600$AUD hmmm..
thats about $3.75 per hour
peanuts hehe but good sifus that are willing to accept almost nothing are hard to find :P that kinda training i got ...prob worth $50 an hour

friday
09-07-2002, 04:49 PM
btw i forgot to say...most of the time it was just me and him :)

iron man
09-08-2002, 06:29 AM
For me it costs $40 for an hour class but it always goes to almost 2hours. Plus its just me and my brother and if i get more people it will be alote cheaper.

AdrianUK
09-09-2002, 04:11 AM
Privates

I had a private Wing Chun lesson for £25 an hour about a year and a half ago, currently I take private escrima lessons (1-to-1) at £15 an hour and they are more than worth it !

Peace
Adrian

kungfu cowboy
09-09-2002, 07:38 AM
Private lessons above the 15-25 dollar per hour range are El-rip-off-o's.

friday
09-09-2002, 08:01 AM
doesn't that depend on what currency u are talking about?

kungfu cowboy
09-09-2002, 09:47 AM
US Dollar

Prairie
09-09-2002, 11:48 AM
I believe that private lessons are most beneficial to those with objectives that are different from the majority of the regular class.

Some of these objectives may be:
--learning a form that most of the class isn't (for competition, amusement, or training)
--development of skills that most of class isn't interested in
--accelerated learning
--more work in areas of specific difficulty

*note: the above objectives are inter-related in a greater sense

I can't think of any more possible objectives at the moment.

I have had private lessons in the past and hope to again in the future. They have been amazingly beneficial. However, I expect that I would think otherwise if I didn't have a purpose with them.

fa_jing
09-09-2002, 12:00 PM
Private or semi-private (one other person) 2 hours at 50 bucks. Half of that goes right to the Kwoon owner for help with the rent. It's alot but it's worth it. We get to see ourselves on tape and stuff. The advantage is the one-on-one instruction and the fact that I don't have to show up more than once a week to make progress. And my sifu spars directly with us. Still, this can only go on for so long - it hurts too bad to pay that much for what is basically a hobby.

kungfu cowboy
09-09-2002, 12:49 PM
Do you get to keep a hard copy of the tape?

fa_jing
09-09-2002, 02:28 PM
Yes, he transfer's some of our sessions to tape, especially the sparring which we almost always tape when we do it. We don't tape the entire class.