PDA

View Full Version : 18 Lohan Fist

HuangKaiVun
09-08-2002, 10:55 AM
Does anybody know what the original 18 movements of Shaolin Kung Fu were?

David Carradine and his sifu Kam Yuen have written that there were originally 18 martial movements of Shaolin kung fu. Over the years, they were expanded to 108.

I'm interesting in finding out about the original 18 postures - and seeing how they apply to today's setting.

GeneChing and other Shaolin disciples, your input would be greatly appreciated.

NorthernShaolin
09-08-2002, 11:21 AM
HuangKaiVun,

Is it specifically LoHan or is it Shaolin you are asking? Which one?

GeneChing
09-09-2002, 11:29 AM
We published it in our NOV 98 issue, which I believe is sold out.

Lao_Peng_You
09-09-2002, 09:39 PM
This may or may not be helpful, but the 18 "temple" movements are Qi Gong postures that focus on bringing Qi to the skin through proper posture and breath. The form of it that I know seems to have been modified from the original that Da Mo tought, but I'm not sure that the original is still known. These postures are also the first *set* tought prior to more *advanced* ShaoLin postures. These movements are not martial unless you think adding silver to what had been golden is such.

The 108 LoHan are something completely different. These are sequences of attack and defense methods. They very much reflect Northern ShaoLin in movement and stance, and probably more recently developed than 18 temple movements.

I guess you could say just about anything was developed from the 18 temple movements.

This is my understanding.

HuangKaiVun
09-10-2002, 10:26 AM
I sent a PM to you, GeneChing, with my address.

Now that Lao_Peng_You has posted that the Songshan 18 movements are qigong movements, I'm REALLY interested in seeing the style.

My personal fighting style is based on simple, rudimentary motions that I then assemble to form more sophisticated techniques. Hence I have this feeling that I'll find the Songshan 18 EXTREMELY useful.

In fact, I've created my OWN "18 Lohan Fist" for myself - 9 hand moves, 9 foot moves. I shall compare the Songshan 18 to my own.

GeneChing
09-11-2002, 11:27 AM
The version that we published was by Deru, a layman disciple, and it was a fighting form. It's the only version of that I have seen. Most of the monks that I worked with would group the jibengong into 18 movements, which served as a symbolic version of the 18. Of course, since there are more than 18 jibengong, the groupings differed from monk to monk and even within certina monks over time.

Nick Lo
09-12-2002, 05:35 AM
:D :p :D :p
*Laughing so hard I peed myself on that one*

So much ammunition... so little time.... starting to seem pointless if they still blunder around after getting shot... oh well, maybe a ricochet will find it's place someplace useful.

In the mean time.

BUWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHH

This is asian in the field, Nick Lo signing off for now...

GeneChing
09-12-2002, 09:14 AM
"starting to seem pointless" indeed.

HuangKaiVun
09-12-2002, 11:34 AM
Yeah, it'll land somewhere useful - like Hawaii.

I WILL go there and challenge you in person, Nick Lo. But if you don't give me an address, I won't know where to find you.

On the other hand, you know where to find me. "Huang's Kung Fu Academy", Chandler Arizona. If you want details, I shall be happy to steer you here.

I want to see how my 18 Lohan fist does against you, Nick Lo - and maybe the Songshan 18 as well.

The Willow Sword
09-12-2002, 03:08 PM
dont let this lowlife mealy mouthed mutherfuker get to you.
he will never show up to your kwoon much less let you know where he is. i doubt he is in Hawaii anyway,,hes probably in some trailer in arkansas makin his daughter go down on him so that she is able to borrow the car for the evening.

MRTWS

GeneChing
09-13-2002, 11:03 AM
We also did the entire Xiao Lohan form in 4 parts in Kungfu Qigong. I published a lot of info on the 18 Lohan ans their symbolism as part of the piece. To complete the series, here are the issues you need.
http://store.yahoo.com/martialartsmart/kunmag20juli.html
http://store.yahoo.com/martialartsmart/kunmag20sepi.html
http://store.yahoo.com/martialartsmart/kunmag20novi.html
http://store.yahoo.com/martialartsmart/kunmagjanisk.html