PDA

View Full Version : A good internal & external Kung Fu

still_logicz
09-08-2002, 01:29 PM
Does anyone know of any Kung Fu that is both internal and external?

dre
09-08-2002, 02:10 PM
Lots of Kung Fu has elements of both.

Hau Tien
09-08-2002, 02:11 PM
I can't speak for other branches, but my branch of Seven Star Praying Mantis has a fair amount of internal work, the further you go into it...

And obviously it has external...

Braden
09-08-2002, 02:36 PM
Do you mean 'that has both internal and external training methods'? In this case, they all do.

Do you mean 'is both an internal art, with all that implies; and an external art, with all that implies'? In this case, then there are none. It's like asking for a fruit that is both an apple and an orange.

BSH
09-08-2002, 09:11 PM
Braden:

I disagree, but it is probably due to our different definitions of external and internal.

You likely define internal and external so that they must be mutual exclusive. I personally believe that there were many Chinese Martial Arts systems that included both internal and external training. But few survived to be taught in its original form.

They exist, you just have to look for them.

Braden
09-08-2002, 09:34 PM
"I personally believe that there were many Chinese Martial Arts systems that included both internal and external training."

Didn't I say exactly that in my post? :confused:

The Willow Sword
09-09-2002, 07:24 AM
is a very good internal and an even better external martial art.
pakua is also a good internal/external martial art.

In effect the others here are right. there are elements of internal/ext to just about every Kung fu system out there. i tend to go with those styles that focus more on the internal, since what you do comes from within it is better,in my opinion, to start there and work your way out. it is a harder and longer path,,but in the end has the better results,so they say.

MRTWS

mantiskilla
09-09-2002, 09:14 AM
www.lungyingjingjung.com:)
________
HINDUISM ADVICE (http://www.religionboard.org/hinduism/)

Sho
09-09-2002, 12:03 PM
Originally posted by still_logicz
Does anyone know of any Kung Fu that is both internal and external? In the first place, I personally would pick Xing Yi or Bagua if they were available.

Sho
09-09-2002, 12:08 PM
Oh wait, that wasn't the question. Sorry. :eek:

But if we're talking about a system which has both internal and external elements more equally than just any system, I would say Xing Yi and Bagua.

Just my two cents.

HuangKaiVun
09-09-2002, 12:15 PM
It's all in the teaching.

That said, I'll say that traditional Uechi-Ryu has elements of both - if one wants to go so low level to separate the internal from the external.

Kumkuat
09-09-2002, 06:18 PM
pick any external art. In my experience, those are the only styles that claim to have both external/internal. I haven't heard the internal arts claiming that. The internal arts just say they're internal.

David Jamieson
09-09-2002, 08:32 PM
Shaolin

peace

dre
09-09-2002, 08:37 PM
Duh! *slaps forehead* Why didn't I say that?

gazza99
09-09-2002, 09:11 PM
I have had many "external" stylists tell me that at the high levels of their art it is supposed to become internal.

So it seems logical to say that the internal arts begin where the external arts end.

Gary

apoweyn
09-10-2002, 07:33 AM
just out of curiosity, what would be the right way to take that?

Royal Dragon
01-25-2003, 02:34 PM
I go by the power generation.

External:
Power is generated by the limbs. Torso is a uniteing aspect connecting the lower and upper body. It plays little in power genration, but alot in power transfer.

Internal:
Power is generated by the torso. limbs play very little in power generation, but alot to serve in the transfer of power.

There are both Hard and soft external styles.

There are both hard and soft internal styles.

In the internal styles, hard and soft are a measure of relaxation or tension, not the common hard force on force or redirection/blending with force definitions used in external styles.

Exapmle of a soft internal style - Taiji Quan

Exapmle of a HARD internal style - Southern Mantis.

I'm sure you all get the point.