PDA

View Full Version : 3 sectional staff?

Jeff Liboiron
10-01-2001, 04:13 AM
Hey peoples, i recieved a 3 sectional staff for my birthday, and have nooooooo clue how to use it, i would really appreciate it if any of you could give me some tips, or places where i could get some info, thanx alot :-)

Felipe Bido
10-01-2001, 04:46 AM
Well, it's been a lot of time since I don't practice with one, it was my favorite weapon, though it's very hard to handle at first.

You can use them first by grabbing one of the sections (of the sides) with one hand, and use it like a whip.

There's a technique called "snowflakes falling from the tress". You move the staff, circling over your head and then sweeping the ground with it.

In another technique, you take two sections of the staff, the middle one included, and you circle the one that's left. Also, you can twirl (sp?) them, like a normal staff, grabbing the middle, with one hand or with both (With one hand you can get hurt, be careful).

Or...close the three sections and use them as one single stick, to block.

It can be used in countless ways, and it's very dangerous when they bounce back after you deliver a quick strike. Be careful

I may have some old notes about 3 sectional staff lying somewhere. If you wish, give me you e-mail address and, if I have info on it, I'll send it to you.

Un ratón no pone su confianza en un solo hoyo.

[This message was edited by Felipe Bido on 10-01-01 at 07:56 PM.]

dunbarj01
10-01-2001, 05:33 AM
Practice outside Jeff, otherwise you might damage the ceiling. :D

Something that might help is to learn the staff form (if you don't know it already) - not the Wing Chun dragon pole but something like the Shaolin staff with a flexible pole. The form is fast and might help your hands develop good agility.

BTW, I didn't know Wing Chun used the 3-section staff. Is this the case? :)

"That would be me. I've been swimming in raw sewage...I love IT!" - Frank Drebbin, Police Squad.

Jeff Liboiron
10-01-2001, 05:36 AM
no wing chun doesn't use it, but hey, it can't hurt exploring it right :-) that's always been my attitude :-) if i like it i'll try it, doesn't matter if it's in "my" art :-)

-Peace to the martial world

Jeff Liboiron
10-01-2001, 05:37 AM
Thanks for the advice vlad :-) hehehehe my parents said the same thing :-)

Jeff Liboiron
10-01-2001, 05:51 AM
Oh yeah vlad, forgot i'm missing my right leg, so i don't do many forms, and am mainly self taught cause my teahcers said i couldn't do it, so i work harder and harder everyday to prove them wrong. :-)

Fish of Fury
10-01-2001, 06:25 AM
that's cool Jeff.
i've seen forms that are done entirely on one leg, eg a white crane form.
have you looked into that sort of stuff at all?

__________________________________________________ _________________________ "I'm just trying to lull you into a genuine sense of security!"

fiercest tiger
10-01-2001, 12:47 PM
3 section is a hard weapon to learn, but if you can get it with one leg that would be a awesome achievement and a demo!

let me know when you get it together?

good luck and never let go of your goals!

come & visit us!
http://home.iprimus.com.au/ykm
yaukungmun@hotmail.com

honorisc
10-01-2001, 02:07 PM
You'd likely be right to think that I wouldnot normally think to suggest this method, even though it has the highest merit-ish.

In reading about you not having a leg and that your instructors say that you can't do it (in general), I got the impression that you use a prosthetic leg. Even so, I recommend that you develop the coordination with the three-section staff from on the ground. This removes some of the distraction, and allows for more focus on understanding the weapon~.

Study making it straight and folding it (how the arms move relevant to each other holding the middle, use it lie a short stickor sword with one of the end sections (a stabbitype sword (tski) or poking lie sai or tonfa.
Hold it at the middle, moe it so the ends start to rise(practicing this with a straight stick or rojenkubo~(twirlingover head) might help your hand arm, body coordination to keep it going around). Go cautiously here too. when you slow the spin the outside sections lower. If you slow down quickly, then they come in quickly.

Notice that you ca block a strike comming in from a side and be poking a person in frontof you beside you or behind yyou at the same time.

Hold the middle and an end section together in one handso it's in effect a two-section staff. Move that around (a long nunchucku).

Now try it standing.

Very some such, perhaps might have been, likely say some, some not.

JWTAYLOR
10-01-2001, 03:53 PM
I've said it before and I'll say it again.

It takes a man braver than he is wise to take up the 3 section staff.

Spin (WHACK, oww), twirl (WHACK-owww), spin (WHACK) oww, "screw this".-ME

JWT

If you pr!ck us, do we not bleed? If you poison us, do we not die? And if you wrong us, shall we not revenge? If we are like you in the rest, we will resemble you in that the villany you teach me, I will execute, and it shall go hard but I will better the instruction. MOV

Kaitain(UK)
10-01-2001, 04:01 PM
I figured that being good with Nunchuku would have helped me - fat chance

I smashed the crap outta my knees, elbows and head. I knocked myself out once (caught the end right at the top of my nose) and decided that the 3-section staff was for poofs. :)

It calls to me from the corner of the room now and then - I have resisted so far... I pray noone puts a link up to 3-section staff videos because I'll end up having another go.

"If ignorance is bliss, why aren't more people happy?"

GeneChing
10-01-2001, 06:20 PM
Invest in this video
http://store.yahoo.com/martialartsmart/vidthreessta.html

It's one of the lowest priced videos on 3-sectional staff you'll find AND it will help to support this forum.

That's my plug for today. Now back to our regular programing...

Gene Ching
Asst. Publisher
Kungfu Qigong Magazine & www.KUNGFUmagazine.com (http://www.KUNGFUmagazine.com)

GGL
10-01-2001, 10:29 PM
I found it looking for rope dart material

http://furiousg.com/videos/library/flexible/

SanShou Guru
10-01-2001, 11:17 PM
Get a helmet and a shin pad. It's not for "incase" you hit yourself but for "when" you hit yourself. Cool weapon but really hard to track the ends in the begining. They teach it at my school and the coach always makes the beginners wear a helmet. They do sell padded ones now if you look around. Good luck.

"Information is power"

dunbarj01
10-02-2001, 12:01 AM
Hi Jeff,

I hope you do prove your teachers wrong. Good luck. :) I picked up one once and fortunately the lighting in my house has never been that good...my wife hasn't noticed the dent in the ceiling yet.

"That would be me. I've been swimming in raw sewage...I love IT!" - Frank Drebbin, Police Squad.

Jeff Liboiron
10-02-2001, 04:05 AM
I got a padded one everybody, so i won't kill myself :)