PDA

View Full Version : It's official - I suck at point sparring

TaoBoy
09-08-2002, 09:27 PM
Point sparring has to be the funniest of all martial arts contests. I managed to get done in the first round 3-0 in the Australian kung fu titles - and I only got hit once!! And I kicked the guy once as well.

Gotta laugh at an event that makes you wear every conceivable form of padding and then doesn't allow any contact. Amusing if nothing else.

:D :D :D

joedoe
09-08-2002, 09:31 PM
I don't know why you wasted your time :D

TaoBoy
09-08-2002, 09:45 PM
Originally posted by joedoe
I don't know why you wasted your time :D

Neither do I. Just thought I'd have a little play around. The continuous event was more fun. I managed to lose that too after clearly dominating but being warned about excessive head contact (ie I actually touched his head). LMAO! :D

joedoe
09-08-2002, 10:44 PM
Well, I cannot really speak. I have only ever entered one full contact tournament and I sucked. However, I have always felt that point sparring was pointless and in fact taught people bad habits.

For example, my girlfriend's sister has been doing Shotokan Karate for about a year now and is progressing quickly through the belts. We were mucking around with sparring one day, and I pulled 3 clean shots to her head. Her reply was to throw a single strike to my body (with perfect Shotokan form of course) and declared herself the winner.

Needless to say I was dumbfounded.

Serpent
09-08-2002, 10:51 PM
Courses for horses. Of course, it's those kind of courses that give all the MMAer's their ammo! ;)

Ah, it's something you've got to try at least once or twice, just to say you've been there.

TaoBoy
09-09-2002, 12:16 AM
Aaah, the continuous bout was funny. I told my dad before the bout that I was gonna clock my opponent in the head 5 seconds in and take the warning. I did exactly that and then every time I went near him I got warned by the ref. Even took him down and didn't score for that either. Judging has to be difficult but you gotta wonder which bout they were watching sometimes. My dear old dad asked if I lost cause I dominated too much.
P!sser. :D

David Jamieson
09-09-2002, 06:06 AM
point sparring is a form of gentlemans combative exchanges.

A friendly, sportive and non-lethal duel.

It allows for basically all techniques to be expressed and so trains the students ability to regulate power in their style of kungfu, or karate or what have you.

It will teach you bad habits if you take the attitude of it being more competition than learning for you.

If you take the attitude of it being a learning opportunity and have some understanding of the principles driving your style, then you will use techniques effectively but with regulated power generation. This in turn will grow your own knowledge of your ability to use what you have been taught and have been practicing.

Full contact fighting is different entirely of course.

peace

The Willow Sword
09-09-2002, 07:30 AM
is that if that is all that you do ,,you can sabotage yourself in a life/death situation. it is more gentlemanly to do point sparring ,,but i have seen tournaments where the point sparring was not very gentlemanly. they will tap you wherever and right after that they jump up and down doing that Rocky balboa dance thinking that they have won the world.

point sparring is good for beginner levels. but as i have always stated, "it is cat and mouse"

MRTWS