PDA

View Full Version : Challenge matchs, semi-friendly sparring sessions, etc

friday
09-09-2002, 01:43 AM
Hi ive been rambling and disorganised of late with the threads ive posted so this time i'm going to fix that problem hehe.

what i would like to know is hwo to go about arranging challenge matches, semi-friendly sparring sessions in a good way?

first of all - i do not wish to offend any pai, style, dojos, gwoons, etcetc. its more an experience building thing for myself. and not really a challenge in the traditional or even modern understanding of the word.

the other thing is relevant to my own style. what is a good way of ensuring your performance doesn't really impact your gwoon, style etc? is that impossible? how do i intro myself?
they ask me for my style what do i say? if they ask which gwoon i belong to then also what do i say? am i honest or i avoid the question (as i don't like lying...). the reason for this is becos i do'nt really represent any pai or gwoon when i do these sparring sessions with other ppl or gwoons. once again its just a look at what kind of things are out there and applying my style aaginst other styles to build my own experience.

all your constructive opinions are welcome thanks

Friday

No_Know
09-09-2002, 03:34 AM
Be polite. Ask to see the head instructor. Say that You take a martialart but wonder how much you've grasped the techniques. And that you were wondering if there was some way to have someone of that school seriously spar with you. To educate/enlighten you.~

As to your Kwoon and not saying, tell that you were doing this for yourself and that you don't want to have your performance reflect on the Kwoon/style/whatever. So, you'd rather not say what kwoon. If you don't want to say what style, say that that might indicate which kwoon or instructor and you would rather not have your performance reflect on them~.~

Is this The way, hopefully I No_Know. It's merely more than you might have had when you started this thread.

When it's done if you do well It might be polite to say if asked again what style or how you came-up with your fighting. If It's secret, then perhaps say that there's is better you just wanted to test yourself. And that you were lucky [compliment t he other fighter or the style you just went against or both].

Perhaps some-such some might say very whatever, whatever whatever.

The Willow Sword
09-09-2002, 07:19 AM
when you are challenging, you are basically stateing that you wish to see if they are any good OR you have some vendetta against them or they allowed thier insults to get to you.
in a more appropriate way why not ask to take a class and "cross hands". putting it that way at least saves face on thier part and YOURS.

MRTWS

SevenStar
09-09-2002, 08:02 AM
Yeah, pretty much what TWS said. Also, yes, be honest. It won't make your school look bad unless you go there acting like a buttplug. Don't interrupt a class to do it. Wait until after the class, and talk to some students and the instructor. As long as you remember your manners, everything should be okay.

friday
09-09-2002, 06:59 PM
what ka does has actually given me another idea.

perhaps i could set up a group to meet and spar etc from different MA.

problem is:
who pays for it?

:) also no nutcases with anything to prove.
anyone had any experience setting up a group like that? or would anyone in the Sydney area be interested?

TaoBoy
09-09-2002, 07:26 PM
PM me if you're ever coming down to Melbourne. I'm sure I can find a few people interested in crossing hands. And yes - in the correct spirit too. No ego involved. :)

joedoe
09-09-2002, 07:44 PM
If I had time I would think about doing it. Unfortunately I am flat out right now.

friday
09-09-2002, 07:51 PM
thanks taoboy :) i'll let u know when i do come down

another thing is...will we need insurance?? sigh thats going to be too expensive so having ppl with the right attitudes is very very important

joedoe
09-09-2002, 07:57 PM
If you hire a place to train in they will usually require you to have public liability insurance.

If it is a meeting of people who are training - that is, no one is actually teaching - then the line gets blurred. If there is a 'teacher' then they should probably have professional indemnity.

If you want to get injury cover, you can get one off cover from some sports insurers, or if you form an association you can get yearly cover for all players.

jon
09-09-2002, 09:25 PM
friday

Hi friday, how have you been?
Im sorry ive been a bit slack with contact lately work and training has been basicaly doing circles of late (pun intended).
Still you know im always up for sparring:D

As you know there is a couple of us who like to spar and ive been debating myself trying to get some more people interested. We even have mats and headgear now, can you imagine it hehe.

Anyway i hope your well and your sholder is all healed up and feeling fine. Drop me a line anytime or ill try and get off my lazy but and give you a buzz.
Hope your well, all the best.
Jon

Serpent
09-09-2002, 10:17 PM
One thing to bear in mind is that no matter what you say or what you request, if you say what gwoon/sifu you are from, that school will be judged by your actions. Especially if you approach a traditional school.

Better to organise a group, like you suggested, and just get a bunch of people to meet in a park or someone's back yard for some friendly sparring. Draw up a disclaimer first for everyone to sign and off you go.

Let us know on here if you organise something. I might be able to come along too if I'm in the country at the right time.

Ka
09-09-2002, 10:19 PM
Friday
Challenages: I would suggest leaving this word out when visiting other schools.It has a distinct agressive tone about it.I feel it aways puts a very serious feel to anything you do with them.And when people take things seriously things often go wrong.

Sparring on the other hand has the training feel about it and is generally about learning

I agree with the others that alot of it is about talking to the people and understanding what they would like to focus on(or what not to)

Sydney Uni is cheap ($6.50 for a non member) and its a large tatami room with a boxing studio in the next room which has large bags and a ring.As I said we focus on conditioning(mainly boxing/wrestling excersises) and then takedown/locks and submisions. Sometimes in the form of wrestling sometimes in the form of striking and sometimes with specific drills.We have thai pads,focus mits and some assorted protective gear.PM me if you would like to discuss or check me out etc.As I know one of the important things needed is to be compadible in terms of goals and what you want out of any particular session.I would be very interested if we could all get together once a week and exchange ideas on what and how to improve.

By the way my goal is not to go home with an injury every week as I actively train for another sport which is a pirotiy.So don't think we are full bore crazies who try to kill each other every time we meet:p If anything being 69kg I am interested in the most relaxed fluid way of putting people on the mat that are bigger then me.
Better yet Jon, Sepent, Friday how about we all get to a Yumcha in about one weeks time?We can thrash out some details and generally get to know each other.

jon
09-09-2002, 10:35 PM
Ka
Yum Cha sounds like a great plan, although my scedule is a little weird at the moment. Still please let me know it sounds like a great idea.

Serpent
09-09-2002, 10:52 PM
Agreed, great idea.

My schedule is random to say the least, so organise what you can and let me know when it is. Probably a weekend, maybe Sat or Sun late morning/lunch would be the best bet? If I can make it along then I certainly will. If you try to include me in the organisation we'll never get anything arranged! ;)

TaoBoy
09-09-2002, 11:06 PM
Honestly!! Someone else out there must live in Melbourne. Egad! :p

Ka
09-09-2002, 11:19 PM
Taoboy
Just another reason to move up to Sydney;)

Serpent
09-09-2002, 11:37 PM
Taoboy, there's nobody there but you and all the reflections of yourself. Time to follow the lead of others in your school and travel north! ;)

sweaty_dog
09-10-2002, 03:00 AM
I would recommend training with Ka, just watch out for the foot stomp!

Can you guess who this is?

friday
09-11-2002, 05:01 AM
what day would be good for yum cha?

sweaty_dog
09-16-2002, 10:05 AM
Hey Ka, what's going on? I am competing on Sunday at HK Ward, come along if you have time, there should be some action! Sorry if I was supposed to be there on Friday, I was a bit spaced out from lack of sleep when you rang.

I would like to train with anyone who is in Sydney, especially striking and throws... I can't make it for a Yum Cha but I would love to see what other people are doing, especially in the way of traditional styles done in a practical way. I am not interested in smashing each other up, just seeing what other people do for training and maybe swapping a few techniques. I've done this with Ka plenty of times and we have a lot of fun, I've learned some great stuff too. I really hope some other people from Sydney can get on board as well, this kind of thing can only benefit us all.:)

friday
09-16-2002, 06:18 PM
i was wondering do any of u guys know the single and double leg take downs? i think ka's friends are MMA so i'm sure one of u does BJJ.

if we can meet up in early november i'd like u guys to demonstrate it for me
on me as well thanks

i just want to see how it works
:)

sweaty_dog
09-16-2002, 07:24 PM
Yeah I can do it (on a good day) but I'm hardly an expert. We should meet and do some stuff like that... why early November though?

About the MMA thing, we are only MMA in the broadest sense, mixed martial arts, we are not just doing Muay Thai and BJJ. I have done a couple of years of Tai Chi and Ba gua (with William Ho) and some other stuff so I am not going to laugh if you want to talk about chi. I respect the philosophy of MMA but I am aware that there are plenty of effective styles out there.

If you want some great stuff on single/double leg takedowns check www.themat.com, lots of great gifs of famous wrestlers shooting for them. Go to "Coach's Corner and have a look at the John Smith article and the High Cs in the technique section.

Also, if you have a fast connection check out www.realprowrestling.com, their highlight video (link at top right)has to be seen to be believed.

friday
09-16-2002, 07:52 PM
early november is just a good time for me ;) not sure when u guys might be available.

doesn't matter what your level of expertise is :) i'm sure yr better than me at those takedowns. i'm meeting Ka for coffee this thursday, message me if u might be able to come along.

friday
09-18-2002, 02:49 AM
hey sd

good luck in your competition

couldn't get to your sites sorry that u listed on those takedowns

wondery why :(

sweaty_dog
09-19-2002, 07:02 AM
Friday, just cut the commas off the end, the link should work. I didn't mean them as links but the forum software seems to do it anyway. Check out www.realprowrestling.com !! Awesome throws.

Sorry I missed coffee, busy day! Hopefully I will catch up with you soon, also if you know any of the guys doing San Shou I am interested in that (don't know how I'll fit it in, but still). I'm training with Ka at HK Ward at 11am tomorrow if you have time.

friday
09-19-2002, 07:14 AM
thanks SD, :)

i have an interview tomorrow at around that time sorry i can't make it
plus heaps of things to do. we should be able to meet up in two wks time tho' :)
met ka today over coffee we talked for ages and ages :)
haha he is a nice guy it was lots of fun talking about kf, MA, our styles. we even had a bit of time towards the end to try some stuff.

friday
09-19-2002, 07:21 AM
btw
luv the takedowns, the theory behind it and how it works
just saw a little bit of it but its very good.
ka's kung fu is also very good.
can't wait till we get together :)

andoi
10-19-2002, 05:16 PM
hmmm how to challenge ....well you could just say that your from a club in hong kong (wouldnt be lying) .............just stiring bro

Neurotic
10-19-2002, 11:46 PM
Hey Tao Boy -

I live in Melbourne! ;o)

If I wasn't almost finished at Uni I might consider setting up something like the mixed MA club referenced earlier.

But feel free to drop a msg some time ;o)

Neurotic