PDA

View Full Version : Got to use my self defense last week.

KC Elbows
09-09-2002, 09:47 AM
Had to go to Chicago for a wedding, took my wife's car, which, as soon as I was far enough from home to make it a nightmare, and late enough to make it dangerous, the car stalled.

It was across the highway from a rest area, so I went there to use the phones. I noticed that there was a really haggard looking guy stumbling around the place, but he was not near the phone, so I went to the phone, noticed that the mile marker plaque for the phone had been torn apart, the phone number to the phone had been forcibly removed, and the vending machines were all caged up. In my back pocket was a knife I brought with, probably illegal in the area, but very intimidating.

Sure enough, the drunken fellow starts moving in my general direction while the operator picks up. I had my hand in my rear pocket, ready to dray my knife, and, using my years of martial arts experience, I barked out in my best satan voice: "You'd be wise to stay the **** away from me!"

The operator hung up on me, and the drunken guy moved away.

Having succesfully defended myself from that scenario, I attempted, once more, to make a collect call from the phone booth in the middle of nowhere. And the drunk guy began to wander towards me again. Using a variation of my original ploy, I shouted out a slightly huskier voiced "Get the **** away from me" that managed to simultaneously convince the drunk that I was best not to be trifled with, and yet only get me put on hold from the operator until another operator could take my call.

Had he approached once more, my plan was to say "My brother is coming to kill you" in the voice of the little freak girl from dune. Fortunately, I did not need to get that kind of crazy on him.

Having defended myself from the drunk, I was completely beaten by the mechanic who fixes everything without actually doing anything, the rural Illinois/Missourri cabal that guarantees that each phone will be on another long distance carrier, the sixty cent charge for using phone cards on pay phones, and, on the return trip, the exploding Saab tire, not to mention the gas station with the dissolving paper cups for pop, and Saab itself, for not putting cup holders in my wife's car.

I was hoping to get in touch with some of the KFO members in Chicago during my trip, but I basically came in, went to a wedding, and left. Maybe next time.

So anyway, after years studying the martial arts, I've found that the best defense is a voice like megadeath. Do with that what you will.

fa_jing
09-09-2002, 09:58 AM
Hey, maybe next time KC! Sounds like your problems with inanimate objects were worse than your problem with the human being - unfortunately the beast voice doesn't work on a car! Maybe if you yelled a little louder...

KC Elbows
09-09-2002, 10:18 AM
fa jing,
Were it not for the mechanic ripping me off, I'd have to agree with you.

Then again, he was rather rotund, and appeared effectively the same as an inanimate object for the sake of our argument. In addition, I can't find any evidence that he actually did anything to the car.

You might have a point. I'm stepping away from the computer very slowly.

I may not post for a while. They're everywhere.

Someone tell me when it's safe.

Hau Tien
09-09-2002, 11:01 AM
As an ex- bouncer of 6 years I can tell you both from research and training as well as vast personal experience that a very powerful voice can be your best first form of defense.

When I speak I sound fairly normal, but I can raise my voice to where it makes my ears ring a little, and it booms across the room. Used in the middle of a fight, the "opponents" are usually quite startled, and control of the situation can be regained with minimal physical effort. Of course, this doesn't work EVERY time... but it works more often than not. Perhaps this is because of reptilian brain?

Sounds like that's what happened here, and I'm glad it worked for you.

Anyway... just my opinion on it...

guohuen
09-09-2002, 12:05 PM
Nicely done! My amityville horror voice usually works for me. I use it at closing time alot. "Geeeeeeeeeet ouuuuuuuuuuut!!!!"

Ryu
09-09-2002, 12:28 PM
Good awareness and confidence KC :) A lot of potential threats can be defused that way.

Hopefully the guy wasn't coming up to tell you there was a better mechanic in the area! :D
(LOL, jk, you did the right thing. Glad things worked out well!)

Ryu

Former castleva
09-09-2002, 12:55 PM
Verbal self-defense.

"Hopefully the guy wasn't coming up to tell you there was a better mechanic in the area!"

ha ha! :D

Kind of a KIAI!

IronFist
09-09-2002, 01:02 PM
Originally posted by KC Elbows
So anyway, after years studying the martial arts, I've found that the best defense is a voice like megadeath. Do with that what you will.

Glad you're alright. But, it's Megadeth. Only one "a." :D

IronFist

kungfu cowboy
09-09-2002, 01:02 PM
You tell funny stories, KC.:D

LEGEND
09-09-2002, 02:54 PM
KC ELBOW wins by VERBAL INTIMIDATION!

Xebsball
09-09-2002, 03:00 PM
Had he approached once more, my plan was to say "My brother is coming to kill you" in the voice of the little freak girl from dune. Fortunately, I did not need to get that kind of crazy on him.

LOL :D

joedoe
09-09-2002, 05:15 PM
I would have crapped my pants then thrown it at him :D

Twistedstance
09-09-2002, 05:49 PM
Joedoe.. that is charming in the extreme. Nice one..

Five elemental fist of Stin Kee Pu! Flying Faeces of Juda!

The booming voice thing sounds great. Perhaps a deep, resonant voice speaks of profound internal power? ;-).

KC, did you get home, relive the experience over and over in your head, thinking..: I could've done this, or that, or even this...!

?

Chairs, fellas.

rubthebuddha
09-10-2002, 12:53 AM
nah.

he just went home and play-fought with his weenie dogs.

Badger
09-10-2002, 06:06 AM
KC went home & told Mrs.Elbows what a manly man he is.
Still feeling good he took her upstairs & didn't come down for a whole 10 minutes. Way To GO KC!!!!!;) :p

Kay k
09-10-2002, 06:22 AM
Originally posted by Badger
KC went home & told Mrs.Elbows what a manly man he is.
Still feeling good he took her upstairs & didn't come down for a whole 10 minutes. Way To GO KC!!!!!;) :p LOL that is some REAL wit Badger!!! :) :p glad your okay tho KC....you manly man! :D

omegapoint
09-13-2002, 04:22 PM
Cell-phones can be good!

dre
09-13-2002, 06:09 PM
TTT for cell phones.