PDA

View Full Version : The Original Name of Choy Lay Fut

Fu-Pow
09-26-2001, 04:09 AM
According to the Hung Sing Reunion book that I just got my hands on the original name of CLF was "Fut Kar Zheng Zhung."

Fu-Pow
http://www.makskungfu.com/images/Graphics/Choy%20Lay%20Fut%20red.gif

CLFNole
09-26-2001, 05:14 AM
That looks like some kind of mandarin pinyin. I wonder what the last two words are in Cantonese. Fut Kar loosely translates to Budhist Clan or Family.

Peace.

yik-wah-tik
09-26-2001, 04:05 PM
you should also try and give the meaning of what fut gar zheng zhong. at this moment i have forgotten what it means, but i have it written down somewhere. tomorrow i should have it. but its the zheng zhung part that i don't know.

but according to elders such as lun chee, hung sing clf was called hung sing kuen up to at least the 3rd generation (tam sam's generation). it was the masters of other styles that referred to what jeong yim and his students had as indentifiable techniques from the "choy" "lee" "fut" styles.
but this is coming from some elders who actually lived through those times. i am not saying this is written in stone though.

fran

"graceful staff flies above like a dragon wiggling it's tail-strong fist releases out like a tiger raising its head

Shaolin Master
09-26-2001, 04:20 PM
translates to :

Buddha Family Authentic/Orthodox

But seems to be more of an expression of its roots in Buddhism and shaolin than a name.

Fu-Pow
09-26-2001, 06:48 PM
According to elders this is what Chan Heung and Jeong Yim referred to their art as. Chan Heung was, of course, skilled in the Choy and Lee styles, so the art was more than the Buddhist Palm techniques that Jeong Yim had learned from the Green Grass Monk. People (not specifics as to who) started calling it Choy Lay Fut because it contained elements of all 3 styles.

Fu-Pow
http://www.makskungfu.com/images/Graphics/Choy%20Lay%20Fut%20red.gif

reneritchie
09-26-2001, 08:29 PM
I don't know anything about Choy Lai Fut but that looks like half Cantonese half PinYin Mandarin. I would guess Fut Ga Jing Jong/Fo Jia Zheng Zong, which would be Buddhist Family Direct Ancestry (usually used in MA to mean straight from the source- pure, orthodox, traditional).

Rgds,

RR

reneritchie
09-26-2001, 08:32 PM
It seems a lot of systems during the 19th century were referred to as Hung, specifically those involved in the Tiandihui and Taiping movements (where Hung was a reference to their movement through red/flood and other similar sounding characters).

Rgds,

RR

WongFeHung
09-27-2001, 05:23 AM
One of my Sifus told me that Hung-Ga and also Choy Li Fut in Southern China was referred to as Fut Ga Lo Hawn Kuen. Buddhist family disciples fist.

kai men
10-01-2001, 03:30 PM
Can you elaborate your info about the Hung Sing Reunion book? do the Chan Family recognize the influence of Cheung Hung Sing (Jeong Sim) in the CHLF style? kind regards
horacio

Long Live Traditional Kung Fu!!

yik-wah-tik
10-01-2001, 11:24 PM
the info in the singapore magazine does not even mention the chan family line of the history.
it is strictly hung sing choy lee fut all over the world.

the chan family does acknowledge jeong yim, but won't admit that he was the co-founder to choy lee fut. they even tell a story of jeong yim teaching clf in hong kong which is not true.

there are no records of him ever teaching there in hong kong.

i will not start a new topic but will begin it here in this thread............

wu long of sifu chan yong fa's sydeny school claims he was taught that hung sing and buk sing students have been mislead by a so-called misunderstanding about monk choy fook and monk ching cho.

i will state this.......there is no misconception. there are no misunderstandings. monk choy fook was called the scar headed monk or burnt head monk because he escaped the temple with his head on fire.

monk ching cho or green grass monk was a monk under gee sim at the fukien shaoling temple who took over as gee sim passed away.
monk ching cho was a great revolutionary, and was feared by the ching empire. he settled down at the pak pai mountain which is still there-and taught jeong hung sing at that mountain.

the argument by chan family students and elders, is that there is no written records of monk ching cho.

well there are no written records outside the hung sing family on jeong hung sing. but it is well known that jeong yim was a great fighter and co-creator of choy lee fut. so if there are no records of his birth, or any of the such, why do we all know and believe there was a jeong hung sing?

once again there is no misconceptions on the two monks. it is just that, they are two very different people.

frank

"graceful staff flies above like a dragon wiggling it's tail-strong fist releases out like a tiger raising its head"