PDA

View Full Version : OT: Breakfast

fa_jing
09-10-2002, 08:46 AM
So, how do you all like to start your day? Lately it's been coffee and suck air for me. I'm hungry as sh!t right now which is why I'm starting this thread. So what's your favorite breakfast?

I like:
1. eggs with chopped up tomato, onion, and bell pepper + a slice of bread

2. Rice and beans + fried over easy eggs

3. Empanadas (fried corn meal with gound beef, etc. inside)

4. Arepas with cheese (more corn meal madness)

5. Good ol' bacon + eggs

6. Oatmeal

7. A nice, homemade brothy soup. Sometimes you have to start out the day with real food, and the soup soothes a morning throat.

8. Pancakes, especially with fruit inside.

ewallace
09-10-2002, 08:54 AM
Obviously I am a bacon man. I usually don't have much time in the morning for breakfast when I make my lunch to bring to work. I'll usually just take a low-fat Yoplait yogurt with me. Sometimes a banana too.

On the weekends, pancakes and bacon. Not necessarily in that order.

yenhoi
09-10-2002, 09:03 AM
soy

soy for breakfast

soy for lunch

soy for dinner

soy snacks.

sometimes I eat tuna, but its soy tuna.

FatherDog
09-10-2002, 09:05 AM
My ideal breakfast:

The night before, have a dinner of pasta with a hearty, made-from-scratch sauce incorporating meatballs or sausage.

In the morning:

Combine 3-4 eggs, 1/2-1 cup of milk, in a bowl. Season to taste with black pepper, oregano, basil.

Place generous pat of butter in pan. Melt it with low heat while chopping up 1-2 cloves garlic.

Sautee garlic in pan, still at low heat, not quite long enough for it to turn brown.

Pour seasoned egg/milk mixture into pan with garlic and butter. Cook slowly. As the mixture solidifies at the edge of the pan, pull the solid parts into the middle with a fork or spatula. Continue to do so at regular intervals until the entire mixture forms a semi-solid mass. Allow to cook for a little longer to thicken it, then flip it over. Cook to personal preference (I like nice and firm, some others prefer runny.)

Get out leftover sausage/meatballs and place on plate with eggs. Dip forkfulls of egg in sauce and consume, along with sausage/meatballs. Goes well with a beer.

An excellent way to start your day.

The Willow Sword
09-10-2002, 09:09 AM
pineapple and honeydew melon chunks,,,,,,,a cinnamon raisin bagel with low fat blueberry cream cheese,,and a starbucks coffee and orange juice,,topped off with the "5 immortals" chinese herbal supplement from the tai chi people in austin texas.

what i REALLY want: mounds and mounds of BACON extra extra fatty cream cheese,,and fried bagels to clog the ole colon(for those extra strenuous cr@pS,,hey its the only workout i seem to be able to have time for these days)

MRTWS:D

Chang Style Novice
09-10-2002, 09:29 AM
egg scrambled with hot sauce and topped with grated sharp cheddar (often put in whole wheat bread for a sandwich)

fresh fruit in season (now: canteloupes and peaches)

grape nuts (actually HEB brand 'Nutty Nuggets' cuz I'm a cheapskate) with skim milk

not all at once, of course.

If I'm feeling indulgent, pancakes with slices of granny smith apples, smothered in real butter (F_CK MARGARINE!) and powdered cinnamon and sugar. Or buttermilk biscuits with butter and honey.

Also, at least a pint of grapefruit juice (unless I'm eating fruit for breakfast, in which case tap water suits me fine)

Lisa
09-10-2002, 09:45 AM
Wow. Your breakfasts are all so much more interesting than mine. I eat cereal. If I'm feeling really adventurous, I'll cut up some fruit into it.

fa_jing
09-10-2002, 10:00 AM
I don't like cereal very much. Actually, any milk product in the morning doesn't sit too well in my stomach, that's why. For the same reason, I drink my coffee black. Anyway, the exciting breakfasts are all made by my wife, the only one I can do it the omlette. Lisa - put an apron on your hubby Hau and tell him to get busy! ;)

I thought this thread had been deleted, I think you guys brought it back, pretty good! It is seriously off-topic, but if you eat a proper breakfast, you will have more energy later on in the day, which should help your MA practice.

I popped off and had a double cheeseburger, which I sort of regret. :)

NorthernMantis
09-10-2002, 10:24 AM
Hey fa_jing are you Colombian?

I eat arepas for breakfast but only on Sundays when my mom makes them. Oh and it depends which arepa you talking about. Normal ones are made out of flower.

fa_jing
09-10-2002, 10:47 AM
My wife is from Cartagena and San Andres Isla. I lived in Colombia for 5 months and have been back a couple times.

She usually makes the arepas with "Mesarepa" Harina pre-cocida de Maiz. I'm sure she knows of the other variation. She's also got family in Venezuela. Ever hear of "Harina P.A.N.?" Good stuff.

Que Viva el Arepa!!!

Aramus
09-10-2002, 12:07 PM
My favorite
1) Eggs with cheese (american cheese), bacon, ham, and fruit

or
2) cereal and yogurt

3) If working the late shift, soup (campbell's chunky - meat with veggies or Meat with wild rice and veggies) and a hot dog

4) If my daughter is with me, it could be anything from Cereal, eggs, bacon, soup, hot dogs, mac and cheese, fruit, yogurt, pancakes, waffles, steak, ham (steak ham fried up on the stove), and/or any combination of the above or maybe something else.

Never play leap frog with a unicorn....they cheat, pure of heart my a$$

dezhen2001
09-10-2002, 12:25 PM
this has to be one of the greatest threads for a while :D Gonna have to try some of these :D

for me it all depends on time... usually when i'm not being a lazy ba5tard i train in the morning first then:

something like 6 wheat bisks (weetabix if u have them there) some sugar on top and either full cream/semi-skimmed milk (depending on what's in the fridge ;))

or

less cereal (cheerios/crunchy nut cornflakes) with maybe 3 slices of toast and jam (home made - scottish :D)

or

banana/plums/peach/apple/tangerine... whatever is in season...

sometimes also i like pancakes with maple syrup or with meat, mushrooms, tomato etc... (don't eat pork now so can't have bacon :()

have been known to go to MacD's as well :D

Usually a mixture of most of the above as i NEED food! :D Hard to believe i can eat all that, need to eat again an hour or so later and still be 5'11 and 150lbs :p

david

ewallace
09-10-2002, 12:27 PM
don't eat pork now so can't have bacon
I've just lost all respect for you David.

dezhen2001
09-10-2002, 01:05 PM
hey ewallace - it's my gift to u and KC Elbows... means u guys can have my share ;)

david

ewallace
09-10-2002, 01:22 PM
I have just gained it all back. No need to include KC.

fa_jing
09-10-2002, 01:37 PM
Originally posted by dezhen2001
this has to be one of the greatest threads for a while :D Gonna have to try some of these :D

You mean try some breakfast recipes, or try posting severely off-topic threads, in hopes of duplicating the greatness of this and other off-topic threads? :D

ewallace
09-10-2002, 01:46 PM
One of the reasons this thread is of superb quality is because the bacon sammich technique of threadjacking is absolutely useless here. So is cheddar cheese goldfish.

KC Elbows
09-10-2002, 01:58 PM
I'll take my share of the bacon.

For me, honeydew is essential. I almost always eat breakfast, but I really don't do well with most cooked breakfasts, so I'll normally have melon, some toast with honey on it(I love honey), and juice. Maybe once a week I'll make oatmeal or something, but eggs, though I love 'em, don't sit well with me in the morning.

rubthebuddha
09-10-2002, 02:45 PM
usually a pretty low-key breffas. i'm with kc and my buddha doesn't like most cooked breffases -- unless i've been up for a while. cereal is perfect for me, and toss in a nabana or some other fruit (or a smoothie) and life is good.

oh, did i mention dew is usually part of breakfast? yeah, bad habit, and i'm looking to kick it, but i gotta find the right tea. :)

fa_jing
09-10-2002, 02:49 PM
Originally posted by ewallace
One of the reasons this thread is of superb quality is because the bacon sammich technique of threadjacking is absolutely useless here. So is cheddar cheese goldfish.

I eat threadjacking techniques such as those for breakfast!
:D (I know, your point exactly.)

dezhen2001
09-10-2002, 03:24 PM
theres plenty to go round no need to fight gents :D

rtb: glad ur not exiled in the UK... i dunno if we have Dew here anymore? :eek:

fa jing: i didn't understand a word u said there :D Hey - i create enough o/t threads and posts anyway, so maybe i'll try those recipies ;)

david

rubthebuddha
09-10-2002, 04:13 PM
dezhen,

glad i'm not, either. you guys don't have a pacific over there. but at least you have bacon. mmmmm, sammiches. :p

Serpent
09-10-2002, 06:32 PM
I'm seriously considering hijacking this thread with a kung fu related topic, but I'm not sure I can bring myself to do it!

joedoe
09-10-2002, 06:40 PM
I like any breakfast that involves large amounts of grease. Meat is a bonus.

How's this for trying to keep it on a kung fu topic - how do your various breakfasts affect your training? Have you ever lost a fight that could be directly attributed to the breakfast you had that morning? :D

rogue
09-10-2002, 07:38 PM
Two legs over easy, but I'll settle for a bowl of frosted mini wheats and a bagel.:D

Repulsive Monkey
09-11-2002, 07:38 AM
nothing else but Jook with chopped pears and ground nuts and ginger.

neptunesfall
09-11-2002, 07:50 AM
3 or 4 eggs (but only 1 yolk), over easy
2 packets of plain oatmeal, sometimes a teaspoon of honey
OJ, water
2 natures way whole food vitamins

NorthernMantis
09-11-2002, 12:58 PM
Oh yeah it's good stuff.

I assume you noticed all the bakeries over there huh? Man I love going to those places. I miss the bread but I aint going back to Colombia ever. I just fon't like the people there for some reason.

lol did you try the bread? I can name teh m all. Bunuelos, pan de bono, pan de queso, pan dulce,rosqones,etc

I like empanadas a lot but it's not good with out aji. The purto rican emapandas are far better IMHO.

Man you go tme hungry now.

fa_jing
09-11-2002, 01:31 PM
Yeah, the bakeries were nice. Believe it or not, we have a Colombian bakery right here in Chicago near were I live. It isn't quite the same, though, but it's pretty good. I like Pan de Bono. The best bakeries I visited were in Cali. However, that's about all I can say good about my experience in that city. I was in some very beatiful places in Colombia in 1998- San Andres, Cartagena, Santa Marta, San Augustine, Popayan, the whole trip by car from Popayan down to Ecuador - the Andes are amazing. It sucks that we can't travel there anymore because of the violence.

Some of the best stuff out of Colombia are all the fruit - we get frozen fruit and fruit pulp imported aournd here - Mora, Guanabana, Guayaba, Curuba, Lulo. But there are some that I've never found up here, that I miss: Nispero, Borojo (which I only found in the South)

I know what you mean about Colombians. There are all kinds of people there, but lying and taking advantage of people is just too readily accepted. It's the same in some other Latin American countries.

NorthernMantis
09-12-2002, 10:19 AM
I know what you mean. THere weren't many asian chics and nothing but kempo school pretending to be shaolin so I wouldn't handle that.

I may not be a citizen but I love to be in America baby. I like being in diverese cultures better.