PDA

View Full Version : how are each forms?

Sintrik
09-10-2002, 02:51 PM
hey i was wondering which form to take?

Norhtern Shao Lin
Yang Tai Chi Chuan
Jundokan Goju
or Kobudo??? im not really sure which is which...in new sooo gimmme some help?

HuangKaiVun
09-10-2002, 03:36 PM
Sample them all.

Then focus on one of them.

TaoBoy
09-10-2002, 04:20 PM
Originally posted by Sintrik
hey i was wondering which form to take?

Norhtern Shao Lin
Yang Tai Chi Chuan
Jundokan Goju
or Kobudo??? im not really sure which is which...in new sooo gimmme some help?

Go on, ask a tough question then.... :D

First ask yourself what you are looking for in a martial art.
Then consider your physical attributes.
And try out some classes at schools in your area.
Then make an educated choice.

Best of luck to you.

- Adam

Ish
09-11-2002, 05:39 AM
go with the one with the best teacher. if the same teacher teaches them all ask him/her

scotty1
09-11-2002, 06:16 AM
No-one on her can tell you which one to take. Apart from describing each one to you, which you could do yourself with a little research on the net (or even better, going and watching the classes) I can't see how anyone can help.

And yeah, go with the best teacher.

guohuen
09-11-2002, 06:37 AM
The one where the teacher is a deep well of knowledge is the one you want. Particularly if they intimidate you a little bit.

ewallace
09-11-2002, 06:47 AM
Also look at the environment of each class.

Is it spent standing around listening to magic tales of the old masters, theorizing what a person's reaction will be to technique x?

If stong emphasis is placed on forms does/can the teacher explain the application to each movement? Can he/she/it apply those techniques on a resisting opponent?

What are their views on competition? Not that it is necessary to compete, but it's a polite way of testing to see if they think their techniques are "too deadly" for competition.

If at the end of class students have barely broke a sweat then either they have a state of the art air conditioning system or they don't work very hard and probably don't fight very hard.

Sho
09-11-2002, 06:54 AM
The selection that you have there is quite broad in scale, since most of those styles differ from each other in various different ways; one, which is external and internal. So, first of all you might want to ponder about the particular aspects that you are personally interested in. For instance, I have a cultural interest in China, so I would preferably pick a Chinese art. The decision between internal and external is also important if it is significant in your case. Secondly, as others previously mentioned, you should just try out all of those systems and then decide which one suits you best in all ways, taking everything into consideration such as the instructors and other important principles.