Divisions:

Traditional Forms
Traditional weapons
Open Forms
Open Weapons
Self-Defense
Push hands
There will also be a Wushu Division.

Continuous Fighting: There will be No Brawling, Kick Boxing, and Or Western Boxing ETC. All fighting is to be done in the traditional manner.

The Rules are posted online at:

www.blacktaoist.com

As some of you may be aware, this tournament was tried last year. I ran into a lot of walls. But this time it’s official. The Tournament will coincide with the Annual Wong Fai Hung event.
Many thanks to Yee’s Hung Ga International for working with me on this. Our goal is to bring back traditional kung fu. A lot of practitioners simply do not know how to use their styles. This is a fact. This tournament is an opportunity to use the techniques to better understand them and learn to modify them to them in true-life situations.
It is with great hope that many will participate in this event because Ba-Gua has gotten a very bad rep over the last 20yrs. Most have thought that it was a dance or that the Practitioner walked in a circle around an opponent trying to make him dizzy.
In other words a none to useful Martial art. Those of use who have taken the time to truly study this incredible art know for a fact, even beyond its history, that Ba-Gua is very deep. It is not a style for the faint of heart.

B.C. Hill Bey
Director: Ba-Gua Zhang Research
& Boxing Association
Tel: 315-423-4190
E-mail: mao.shan@verizon.net or niwah64@hotmail.com

Greetings

This tournament is the first of its kind, in it not only being the first all BaGuaZhang competition in the west, but also the rules.

The Forms Divisions: The traditional and weapons forms will be judged on the principles, characteristics and execution of BaGuaZhang. The styles of Ba-Gua vary quite a bit but generally they fall into one of or as a combination of these schools:
Yin Fu
Cheng Ting Hua
Gao yi Sheng
Zhang Zhao Dong
Fu Zhen Song

The open Divisions: The open is a special division. Beginners can do, what are considered rare and unknown forms. Judging is the same as the traditional forms.
But, the Inter/Advanced div. must show creativity. No standard system form is allowed. Self-expression of the principles and techniques (of practitioners particular style) in a traditional manner are what is being judged. Open forms and weapons. Free expression will be the main trait that is looked for.
How well the practitioner has embedded the principles into themselves. Ba-Gua is a Principle not a form. No one’s Ba-Gua is the same. Therefore, beyond the principles of the internal that we are all familiar with (Alignment, Etc.) there should be a presence of self, your own personnel expression.
While we do have standard forms that we
utilize as a base, Ba Gua forms are only the beginning.
Ba-Gua, because of its principles, techniques and expression of techniques Are endless. You will be judged on your creativity.

Continuous: The rules have already been posted.
What must be made clear is that all fighting is to be done in the classical way, no Boxing, Brawling or Kick boxing. Traditional fighting only. Because of the added use of Kenpo gloves, the Palm strikes can be employed. Warning: anyone caught using malicious techniques will automatically forfeit the match.
Remember, All fighting is to be done from the circle. Either attacking through the center or defending or redirecting on the circle.

Push Hands: The rules have been posted here on BlackTaoist.com. The emphasis on is on Pushing, Pulling, Redirecting and Tripping.
The methods used to achieve these goals will vary according to the competitor. As long as principles and methods of Ba-Gua are present.

Traditional Self Defense: This speaks for it self. Creativity and execution will count here.

Again I cannot emphasis enough that this is a traditional tournament. The goal is to raise the standard of the level of skill in the practitioners here in the west. Traditional methods help us in getting true insight to what we do, Power development, Timing, Sensitivity, Execution of Techniques, ETC.

I hope Traditional practitioners as well as all lovers of Ba-Gua will join me in this. The skill level of all kung fu in the west has to raise. Hopefully this is one small step toward getting there.

Peace.
B.C. Hill Bey aka. Maoshan
Director: Ba-Gua Zhang Research & Boxing Association

The Ba-Gua Zhang Research & Boxing Association & Yee’s Hung Ga Intl.
Presents:
1st All Ba-Gua Zhang Championship Tournament

Sep 28, 2002

Fairly ****erson University
Rothman Center
T-Neck/Hackensack, NJ

To Pre register-$50.00 first Two events. $5.00 add
At the door-$55.00 $5.00 add’l
Spectators-$10.00
Registration begins at 8:30am and officially starts at 9:30am
Travel info:
George and Phyllis Rothman Center of Fairleigh ****inson University
1. From Route 4, Traveling EAST (From Garden State Parkway):
Exit at Hackensack Avenue heading SOUTH (Immediately following Main Street exit. Proceed to traffic light at Temple Avenue, turning left. FDU’s Rothman Center is located at the end of Temple Avenue.
2. From Route 4, Traveling WEST (from George Washington Bridge):
Exit at the second Hackensack Avenue exit (the Business District). Proceed to the traffic light at Temple Avenue FDU’s Rothman Center is at the end of Temple Avenue.
3. From Garden State Parkway NORTH:
Take the GSP north to Exit 161 (Route 4 East) Travel on Route 4 until reaching Hackensack Avenue. Follow DIRECTIONS #1 (From Route 4 EAST).
4. From Garden State Parkway SOUTH:
Left exit to route 17 SOUTH. Proceed to Route 4 East. Travel on Route 4 until reaching Hackensack Avenue. Follow DIRECTIONS #1 (From Route 4 EAST)
5. From the NJ Turnpike SOUTH:
Take the NJ Turnpike to Interchange 11 to the Garden State Parkway NORTH. Take the GSP to Route 4 EAST. Follow DIRECTIONS #1 (From Route 4 EAST)
6. From Route 80 EAST (Note: from LOCAL lanes only--you cannot exit from express):
Exit at the Hudson Street-Hackensack-Little Ferry Exit. At end of ramp, turn left toward Hackensack and Hudson Street. Continue until road ends, turning left toward Hackensack. At the first traffic light, turn right and proceed until road ends. Turn left onto River Street (which becomes Hackensack Avenue). Drive straight through to Hackensack, approx 5 minutes. After passing light at Sears Roebuck, continue to second traffic light, turning onto Temple Avenue. FDU’s Rothman Center is located at the end of Temple Avenue.
7. From Route 80 WEST (Note: from LOCAL lanes only--you cannot exit from express):
Exit at the Hudson Street-Hackensack-Little Ferry Exit. Proceed through traffic light.
( Hudson Street ) to next light. Turn left on River Street and follow DIRECTIONS #6 (From Route 80 EAST)
8. From Lincoln Tunnel:
Take the I-495 WEST ramp. Merge onto I-495 WEST, Take the I-95/NJ Turnpike NORTH exit towards US-46. Merge onto I-95 NORTH, which becomes I-80 WEST. Follow DIRECTIONS #6 (From Route 80 EAST).
9. From Holland Tunnel:
After exiting tunnel, go straight up the ramp and follow signs for NJ Turnpike NORTH. Merge onto I-95 NORTH, which becomes I-80 WEST. Follow DIRECTIONS #6 (From Route 80 EAST).

For more info and updates www.blacktaoist.com in the what’s new link.
Or Contact
B.C. Hill Bey
204 S. Wilbur Ave
Syracuse, NY 13204
at niwah64@hotmail.com or 315-423-4190 Cell-315-450-7264

Continuous Fighting
First and foremost, All fighting is to be done in a traditional manner.
Protection must be used for the head, chest, mouth, groin, and feet as well as shin pads. The use of Kenpo Gloves will be employed to enable competitors to use palm strikes. Divisions will be determined on the day of the competition. All bouts will be three two min rounds. Fighting time and the clock will stop as dictated by the Referee. The winner is declared by a majority vote by the referee and judges. Winner of the best of 2 rounds wins the fight.
Rules
Competitors will stand facing each other about 4 feet apart.
Both competitors Toe out with their left foot and step to their left with their right legs, and extend their right arms out toward each other. Competitors should now be in the traditional BaGuaZhang guard stance.
Both Competitors walk clockwise once around the circle. On the last step both competitors may attack utilizing BaGuaZhang techniques.
Important Point:
Opponents must use Ba-Gua style fighting. No Brawling, No Boxing, No Kickboxing. The goal here is to use Traditional BaGuaZhang with all it’s characteristics to win. If other than Ba-Gua Zhang is used, you will receive one warning, on the second

CD Lee
09-16-2002, 09:39 PM
Do you have a list of good Bagua people that have commited to attend? Has anyone paid appearance fees to insure that the event has national significance and recognition? Too bad this thing is so far away from Tx. I am sure the tournament will be something special to see for traditional practitioners.

Hau Tien
09-16-2002, 09:43 PM
Man... I'd love to go, but definitely won't be able to... Any chance they'll release a video? I would REALLY like to see this...

count
09-16-2002, 10:55 PM
The registration form (http://www.blacktaoist.com/Bagua%20registration.html) for the tournament has a list of tentative appearances. Your closer than I am and I am going. What's your excuse? Actually, I have spoken with a few of the west coast bagua teachers about doing a similar thing out here next year. But I know they are making an effort to make the tournament in New York a success. Hey Ben, Maybe you could update us on who's coming?

HispanicPalm
09-18-2002, 11:12 AM
CDLee
( Do you have a list of good Bagua people that are commited to attend?)

As far as the teachers that are commited we cannot say absolutely for sure that they will all be there, the listing of the teacher's are listed on the blacktaoist website in the what's new section.

( Has anyone paid appearance fee's to insure that the event has national significance and recognition? )

No one has done such a thing, we've promoted as much as we can and maoshan has done this primarily by himself with the exeption of Blacktaoist, me and another classmate. everybody knows about the event hopefully everyone shows.

CD Lee/ count

we invited everyone that we know teaches bagua and if we missed anyone they were supposed to contact maoshan being that he made it clear on KFO

Hau Tien
( Any chance they'll release a video? )

Yes the video of the event is being professionally made and will be sold, Once the video is ready it will be announced.

CD Lee
09-18-2002, 01:24 PM
Count, my excuse? I am a poor bum. I need to save my miles for a trip for my wife and I. Life is real 'aint it?

Organizers - I am excited that you guys are going to make a proffessional quality video of the event. I think a lot of people would be interested in purchasing one. I certainly will.

count
09-18-2002, 02:34 PM
Originally posted by CD Lee
Count, my excuse? I am a poor bum. I need to save my miles for a trip for my wife and I. Life is real 'aint it?

Organizers - I am excited that you guys are going to make a proffessional quality video of the event. I think a lot of people would be interested in purchasing one. I certainly will.

Yah, life is real. Sure spend money on video instead of the real thing.

Com'on man, I'm just pulling your leg you poor bum.;)

HispanicPalm, We know that. I even posted the link to the list. I just thought since we are getting close to the event, I wondered if some not on the list will be attending, and who's commited? What's the latest word? BTW, what kind of royalties are being paid to the people on the tape?:cool:

Daredevil
09-18-2002, 06:10 PM
****. If I were any closer -- not about half a planet away -- I'd be there.

But no.

Maybe next year. Always wanted to see NY, anyway.

HispanicPalm
09-19-2002, 08:53 AM
Count

( I wondered if some not on the list will be attending, and who's commited? what's the latest word?)

No one specific has been added to the list as I said in the previous post we've invited many masters not on the list and no one has confirmed or commited to anything and as you already know this tournament is specifically for the promotion of all BaGua Zhang also to uplift the standard in the west.

( what kind of royalties will be paid to the people on the tape? )

I've never heard of any participants masters or novices getting paid royalties by the organizer's of any event with the exeption of special guest for special events, these special events being workshops/seminar's done during the time of the tournament so basically they made their own money. BTW, for next year's tournament there will be workshops/seminar's being held before and after the tournament.

PEACE

HispanicPalm
09-19-2002, 11:10 AM
Count

( I wondered if some not on the list will be attending, and who's commited? what's the latest word?)

No one specific has been added to the list as I said in the previous post we've invited many masters not on the list and no one has confirmed or commited to anything and as you already know this tournament is specifically for the promotion of all BaGua Zhang also to uplift the standard in the west.

( what kind of royalties will be paid to the people on the tape? )

I've never heard of any participants masters or novices getting paid royalties by the organizer's of any event with the exeption of special guest for special events, these special events being workshops/seminar's done during the time of the tournament so basically they made their own money. BTW, for next year's tournament there will be workshops/seminar's being held before and after the tournament.

PEACE

count
09-20-2002, 09:55 PM
Originally posted by HispanicPalm

PEACE

It was just a joke man, don't sweat it. Look where I live. It's Hollywood. Film capitol of the world. Everyone plays the film game.;)

I'll look forward to those workshops next year.:)

HispanicPalm
09-21-2002, 11:00 AM
count

I'm looking forward to your appearance at this year's tournament!

PEACE