PDA

View Full Version : Where to buy Old Kung Fu Movies?

GOLDEN ARMOR
09-11-2002, 06:01 AM
Is there anywhere in Los Angeles u can go & buy these old school movies on video? or can u only order them over the net? If so which sites are legit to buy from? can anyone recomend the best kung fu movies u have seen? Also which are the best movies u have seen with Hung gar in them?
Are these movies worth seeing/buying?
Master Killer
Shaolin Martial Arts
Snake in the Eagles Shadow
5 Masters of Death
Magnificent Butcher
Southern Shaolin Master
Fist of the White Lotus
Masters of Tiger Crane
Killer Army
12 Deadly Coins
Prodigal Son
The Kung Fu Master (1994) Donnie Yen
etc...

These are just a few I have read or heard about that sounded good. If u were going to buy 3 or 4 movies, which ones would u buy & where from?

Chang Style Novice
09-11-2002, 08:14 AM
I got a really good set of 10 DVDs off a seller on ebay for $50 US. It includes a couple that you mention, which are among my favorites of all time (Master Killer, Magnificent Butcher) and so far no lame ones at all, although I wish they could all be in widescreen. He's selling a bunch of these sets, just run a search for "Shaw Brothers DVD" and it should pop right up.

n0rmann
09-11-2002, 12:08 PM
CD universe isn't bad for old movies.
Also, Tai Seng video (I don't have the web address). Media Play, I think they have a good website, and in person, they have the best selection ever.

Some other old school kung fu movies that are pretty good include:
Five Deadly Venoms
Dirty Ho.
The One-armed swordsman.
the One-armed boxer.

jun_erh
09-13-2002, 03:09 PM
Ralph Allen at beijingvideo.com has a great selection and is a fan himself. I don't know the ebay thing but 10 dvd's for 50$ is a great deal.

Kristoffer
09-14-2002, 07:13 AM
check some old video store? hell i dunno

Chang Style Novice
09-14-2002, 12:13 PM
The full 10 dvds in the package I got on Ebay are

The Kid With Golden Arms, Shaolin Master Killer, Iron Flag, Magnificent Butcher, Invincible Shaolin

^letterboxed

Return of the Master Killer, Shaolin Mantis, The New One Armed Swordsman (the one with David Chiang, not Jimmy Wang Yu), Chinese Super Ninjas, The Chinatown Kid

^panned and scanned

So as you can see, that is an EXCELLENT deal for $50 (plus a fin in shipping.) They're pretty much all classics.

Jimbo
09-14-2002, 09:35 PM
If you like old-school kung fu films, you MUST see Shaolin Martial Arts. This is my favorite MA film because it was filmed very carefully compared to many later films. It stars Alexander Fu Sheng, Chi Kuan-Chun, Liang Jia-Ren, Gordon Liu, and Wang Lung-Wei.

Jim

SanSoo Student
10-02-2002, 05:51 PM
I like to buy my movies from www.hkflix.com

GOLDEN ARMOR
10-03-2002, 08:02 AM
Does anyone know if www.kungfumovies.net is a good place to buy from.
I don't have a DVD player so I'm looking for VHS.
I'm probably going to buy 2 or 3 movies, are these worth buying?
Fist of the White Lotus
Shaolin Martial Arts
Magnificent Butcher

Chang Style Novice
10-03-2002, 08:16 AM
Yes, yes, and yes. Though, you might want to get a DVD player before buying movies. It looks to me at this point like it's going to be the dominant format before very long, and they are defintely easier to store and more durable. I got a real cheap one that plays all region codes on ebay for just under $100, including shipping (doesn't have many other frills, though.)

Hai_To
10-09-2002, 10:14 AM
Golden Armor,

If I were you, I would avoid Kungfumovies.net like the plague. Their service is horrible, the customer service is completely unresponsive and they fail to deliver contracted goods.

Basically, they are a bunch of thieves.

You would be better served spending your money elsewhere.

Also, Amazon.com has a very large selection of old school kung fu flicks. You might want to check them out.

GeneChing
10-11-2002, 09:13 AM
www.fightco.com - They aren't really up to speed on the old stuff yet, but drop them a line and encourage them to move into that direction. They seem eager to please.

jethro
02-19-2006, 05:04 PM
Is there anywhere in Los Angeles u can go & buy these old school movies on video? or can u only order them over the net? If so which sites are legit to buy from? can anyone recomend the best kung fu movies u have seen? Also which are the best movies u have seen with Hung gar in them?
Are these movies worth seeing/buying?
Master Killer
Shaolin Martial Arts
Snake in the Eagles Shadow
5 Masters of Death
Magnificent Butcher
Southern Shaolin Master
Fist of the White Lotus
Masters of Tiger Crane
Killer Army
12 Deadly Coins
Prodigal Son
The Kung Fu Master (1994) Donnie Yen
etc...

These are just a few I have read or heard about that sounded good. If u were going to buy 3 or 4 movies, which ones would u buy & where from?

All of those are good, but i WOULD GO with prodigal son, return to the 36th chamber, and fist of the white lotus.