PDA

View Full Version : Training while ill

Sho
09-11-2002, 06:40 AM
Does anyone know what bad effects there might be if one trains or does other sweaty exercises when he has flu or has caught cold? So I'm not talking about any greater illness than the flu. I know that it's not good to train while sick, as the energy usage is focused elsewhere rather than fighting off the flu. But I was just wondering what other effects it might cause.

Repulsive Monkey
09-11-2002, 07:49 AM
well if you want get better quicker then don't train. Perserverance with training when the body has already suffered from a leakage or drop in Qi means that you widen the problem (and this is with flu), one can expect breathlessness, excess sweating, depletion of body fluids, dizziness, tremors , long term weakening of the Lungs, weakening of the Kidneys, and just basically prolonging the recovery rate. You could also open yourself to secondary illnesses too. But I think most of all it is indicative of lack of body awareness that makes someone go on and train when there are ill. It shows a little bit of imbalance in that they dont know when to listen to their body. When thet body needs to repair itself....don't get in the way.

Sho
09-11-2002, 08:18 AM
Many thanks for your response.

peace

SevenStar
09-11-2002, 10:47 AM
From an external perspective, if the symptoms are above the neck - sore throat, runny nose, etc. play it by ear and train if you feel thatyou can. If you have symptoms in your chest, lay off until you get better.

neptunesfall
09-12-2002, 07:12 AM
the only time i was taught not to train was if i had a fever of any amount. any other symptoms and it's fine to train.

Repulsive Monkey
09-12-2002, 08:42 AM
I'm sorry but I wholly disagree with the any other symptoms and its fine to train, because there are occassions when it certainly is not alright to carry oin training. Any condition of Blood Xu (deficiency) will probably result in black outs and further increase in heat Shi conditions due to body fluid depletion and therefore Yin Xu and full heat conditions. plus without sufficent blood you are likely to cause leakage of Qi (drainage) and headaches a plenty from blood failing to substantially noursih the organs.

SevenStar
09-12-2002, 10:18 AM
All in all, it may just depend on the person. I've never had a headache and certainly never blacked out. but then also, I've NEVER in my life had a headache. heck, I've never even had the flu. I get a cold every two years or so. when I have a fever, I usually don't work out, but coughing, sneezing, etc. I usually do. when I have a cold, I tire faster, so I won't work out as long.