PDA

View Full Version : dog style rocks!

dooder
09-27-2001, 04:45 AM
Dude, dog style rocks!

Daelomin
09-27-2001, 02:17 PM
I just watched that shaolin teather show Wheel of Life. **** that dog form they were doing was stupid. Like no combat applications, the form was mostly flips.

Anyone has any info about what dog style really looks like?

**Little*Dragon**
09-28-2001, 07:06 AM
Doggy-style is always a favorite of mine...and my girlfriend too.

Little Dragon

Not a Dancer
09-28-2001, 08:45 AM
I've actually seen it on a yellow pages thing. I don't know anything about it or if it's even real.

azwingchun
09-28-2001, 09:26 PM
I once had a video which was made I believe back in the 80's, which showed numerous forms of kung fu with masters throughout China. This video showed Dog Kung Fu. It looked kinda strange, though on another note I read an article stating that there are many styles of kung fu which are no longer applicable in todays self-defense world and are used mainly for show in demonstartions. Though this may have been a biased article, since I no nothing about this system and dare not speak anything positive or negative about it. :D

dooder
09-28-2001, 10:16 PM
Dog style is a real style. It's pretty odd and is done for performance but it has some very interesting application. The dog stylist is not affraid of grappling and will gladly be takin to to the ground where they turn the sitiuation to there advantage with mean kicks and stikes on the way down. Dog style involves bitting too. There's barking as well. Kinda down and dirty.

drunkendragon
09-29-2001, 12:53 AM
dog style does exist i have a documentary book called shaolin kung-fu treasure of the chinese it has pictures of shi yan ming performing dog style also a movement from the duck style is oresented in this book as well there are many wierd kung-fu styles out there...

phoenix-eye
09-29-2001, 01:45 AM
Yeh - dog style does exist. We were told by shaolin monk Shi Yanzi at a recent seminar. He showed us the "dog" version of the side kick. It's done with the leg bent - "like a dog peeing". Honest. He said that it was a rare but very real Kung Fu style back in China.

By the way, the reason he was showing us this was because our kicks were so bad they looked like "dog style".

Bear in mind that we were all totally exhausted after his warm up. :D

"We had a thing to settle so I did him"
Tamai, 43, was quoted by Police as saying.

ngokfei
09-29-2001, 03:25 AM
I think most of you are talking about the shaolin temple version very northern.

The version I had a brief exposure to is from Southern China probably Fukien/ToiSan.

Really only wanted to learn some techniques but ended up learning two sets.

Sam Gin - 3 battles (very common to most fukien short hand styles.) It can be done with Fist, Palm or Claws and the foot work has 3 versions as well.

Lo Han - Arhat - The frist half is done standing with alot of grabbing. The send half has sections on the floor with sweeps, tumbles and drops.

The Sifu stated that there were only 4 hand sets and 2 partner sets. I didn't get to see what they looked like but his sifu did put out a book back in the early 80's that contained all 4

For those interested there is a Fukien Martial ARts book series avaiable. On styles Like 5 ancestor, tiger, crane, dog, shaolin, etc. I picked up my copy at the Orientalbook Market on elizabeth street off of canal in NYC China Town (next to the police station).

eric Hargrove
ngokfei@juno.com

PlasticSquirrel
09-29-2001, 05:41 AM
found this earlier in a hanwei newsletter thing. for some strange reason i kept it, and even stranger, remembered about it. anyways:

"The martial arts styles practiced at the Fujian Temple were many and varied. Dog (Guo Quan) style boxing and ground fighting was developed by the Shaolin Buddhist Nuns, who lived in a nunnery across the way from the monastery. It was first taught outside the nunnery by a "Master April", who took refuge with a family in Yongchun County after the temple was attacked by the Manchu."

hope it's useful :confused:

Disciple108
09-30-2001, 04:05 PM
The Dog Fist i know of is a Fujian derivative.

It contains nine (9) empty hand forms and three (3) two man forms. There are also five (5) weapon forms.

There isn't any Lo Han - Arhat (in Chen family).

There is an emphasise on three (3) levels of focus (low/medium/high).

Respectfully,
  Disciple108

<hr width="90%">
<<-- The person who is afraid of asking is afraid of learning -->>

ngokfei
10-03-2001, 05:52 AM
disciple 108.

If I may ask do you have any historical information on the style and could you provide the names for these sets.

a book I acquired some years back have sets like

sam chien
36 hands
72 hands
flying bat??
a sai set??

like any information thatyou have.

thanks

eric

eric Hargrove
ngokfei@juno.com

DarkKnight
10-03-2001, 07:30 PM
Dog Boxing or Gou Chuan is esentially Fukien Ground fighting. It is a real style and should NOT include lifting your leg or barking like a dog. It is an uncommon style and focuses on striking from the ground.

diego
10-03-2001, 10:49 PM
IT HAS A LONG SET THEN THE TWO MAN VERSION.

"I finish the job with a tiger claw into the throat. Remember guys'INSERT CORNY WHITEBOY VOICE' use extreme violence against your opponents always, that will discourage them from hurting other people" kungfu site technique sec.VS?."...

phoenix-eye
10-04-2001, 01:31 AM
ngokfei: Isn't sam chien a form from the Ngo Cho 5 Ancestors style?

I didn't think this was related to Dog style.

(I could be talking cr@p though.....)

"We had a thing to settle so I did him"
Tamai, 43, was quoted by Police as saying.

joedoe
10-04-2001, 02:35 AM
phoenix-eye: 'sam chien' is common in many fukien styles (including Ngor Chor). It doesn't necessarily mean the same set is common to those styles, just the concept of sam chien (3 battles).

ngokfei: How hard is it to get hold of that set of books? I would love to have a copy but I haven't been able to find anything like it Down Under.

cxxx[]:::::::::::>
You're fu(king up my chi

dooder
10-05-2001, 09:00 PM
The dog style form my teacher teaches has aspects of southern and northern. The form names I can remember are called Rollback and Yellow Dog Squats to Pee. He has a book called fukien ground boxing but it't not di tang it's dog. I don't know if there is a seperate fukien ground boxing or what. He said that some dog forms are actually sub-styles of elephant. The form Yellow dog Sqauts to Pees' main technique is a side kick with both hands planted on the ground hence the name.

ngokfei
10-06-2001, 03:26 AM
Here's the best location in NYC to get alot of the old and modern books. They did have this series but I bet you can request it from them.

ORIENTAL CULTURE ENTERPRISES CO., INC.

13-17 ELIZABETH STREET - 2ND FLOOR
NEW YORK, NY 10013

TEL: 212- 226-8461

FAX - 212 - 431-6695

HOURS : 10AM - 7PM DAILY.

GOOD LUCK

eric Hargrove
ngokfei@juno.com

Disciple108
10-08-2001, 08:24 AM
will answer/write to you about your previous post. Been busy the last few weeks and this is the first time i've hopped on in ages.

Respectfully,
&nbsp;&nbsp;Disciple108

<hr width="90%">
<<-- The person who is afraid of asking is afraid of learning -->>

DarkKnight
10-08-2001, 07:13 PM
Dooder, who is your teacher and what is the lineage? :)

dooder
10-11-2001, 01:21 AM
my sifu is Joeseph Eager. I'm not sure the lineage of his dog style forms because he got them from Kenny Perez who brought them back from china. I'll have to ask him. Sifu Eager has had a bunch of teachers.