PDA

View Full Version : What do you guys think of this workout schedule?

Viper555
09-11-2002, 03:18 PM
On monday,wednesday,thursday,and saturday I do my jumping jacks, push ups,sit ups,and conditioning exercises.On tuesday and friday I do power lifting.And on Sunday I rest.Also,I only do half the amount of reps on days that I have Kung Fu.I also eat about 2 protein bars a week with this.So,tell me what you think and give me any suggestions you have.

Aramus
09-11-2002, 03:49 PM
You will get more replies on your training regimen. Personally I would drop the jumping jacks. Jump rope is much better and so are some other jumping activities.

What are you're goals? Strength? Conditioning exercise means what?

LEGEND
09-11-2002, 04:41 PM
TOO MUCH. U'll be killing your body. Keep your power lifting. Make your CMA workout be your conditioning workout. One day rest is psycho. You'll be catching the flu and other illness in not time.

Viper555
09-11-2002, 06:26 PM
how's 2 days of rest?

dre
09-11-2002, 06:31 PM
I think you are lazy :D

Braden
09-11-2002, 06:55 PM
When do you train kungfu in the schedule? Every day?

SevenStar
09-11-2002, 07:01 PM
that's not too much... here's my current schedule

Mon 1.5 hrs judo, 2.5 - 3 hrs bjj
tues. 1hr weight training 2.5 - 3 hrs bjj
wed. 1 hr weight training 2 hrs cma
thurs. 1.7 hrs judo 2.5 - 3 hrs bjj
fri. 1hr gym 2 hrs cma
sat 3 - 4 hrs bjj

I never get sick and feel great. I know my limits and don't over train. What Viper desribed is definitely doable unless he's doing an ungodly number of reps.

Ryu
09-11-2002, 07:09 PM
Seven, is all that in a BJJ and Judo school, or training with partners, etc.? The BJJ school I went to averaged almost 100 dollars a month. Judo schools usually range from 50-70 a month.

Ryu

SevenStar
09-11-2002, 07:15 PM
School. I lucked up on a judo club where 3 black belts teach and have over 15 years judo experience each. All they want to do is teach and train as they all have other jobs. They only charge 10 a month.

The bjj school is way more expensive. Its one of Royce's TA's that some purple belts run. They charge 75 a month.

dre
09-11-2002, 07:28 PM
Jeez , my mantis is obscenely cheap next to that.

TaoBoy
09-11-2002, 07:33 PM
Originally posted by SevenStar
here's my current schedule

Mon 1.5 hrs judo, 2.5 - 3 hrs bjj
tues. 1hr weight training 2.5 - 3 hrs bjj
wed. 1 hr weight training 2 hrs cma
thurs. 1.7 hrs judo 2.5 - 3 hrs bjj
fri. 1hr gym 2 hrs cma
sat 3 - 4 hrs bjj

Aaah, what about working, eating and sleeping? :)
I'd love to have the time to train that much.

Currently, I do weights (1hr - 4 times a week) and train CMA (2hrs - 3-4 times a week). Trying to find room for BJJ/Judo/Shootfighting.

SevenStar
09-11-2002, 07:34 PM
really? how much? where I am, 60-85 is standard for everything

SevenStar
09-11-2002, 07:39 PM
Originally posted by TaoBoy

Aaah, what about working, eating and sleeping? :)
I'd love to have the time to train that much.

Currently, I do weights (1hr - 4 times a week) and train CMA (2hrs - 3-4 times a week). Trying to find room for BJJ/Judo/Shootfighting.

sleep? :)

nah, it's not that bad. my workplace has a huge gym, so I go after work on my non judo days. I then have about 2 hours to rest before my bjj class. I'm usually home by 10:30 on bjj nights. training is during the day on saturdays, so weekends are family days. my wife usually works the evening shift so she gets home maybe 45 mins before I do, so I'm really not missing time with her by training so late. my son loves grappling and comes to classes to watch. It all works out perfectly.

dre
09-11-2002, 07:59 PM
LOL! I feel so lazy next to everyone now. I suppose I will report my embarrissing schedule :

Tusday : 2 Hrs Mantis

Wedsday : 2 Hrs Mantis

Thursday : 2 Hrs Fencing

Friday : Somtimes Mantis, Somtimes Fencing

Saturnday: 2 Hrs Fencingg

Intermittent running , practice and bag work.

But I have a lot of classes also.

SevenStar
09-11-2002, 08:05 PM
that's more than alot of people do.... I wouldn't be embarassed about it :)

SevenStar
09-12-2002, 09:01 AM
Originally posted by SevenStar
School. I lucked up on a judo club where 3 black belts teach and have over 15 years judo experience each. All they want to do is teach and train as they all have other jobs. They only charge 10 a month.

The bjj school is way more expensive. Its one of Royce's TA's that some purple belts run. They charge 75 a month.

Also, there are two judo black belts in my bjj class. On monday nights, they teach judo, so on monday it's like I do judo twice.

Kristoffer
09-12-2002, 09:24 AM
I'm still waiting to get my $ from work :mad: :( so I can pay my Kung Fu school.. Then my schedual izz:

monday: gym 1 hour
tuesday: physical education 1 hour, Kung Fu 1 hour
wednesday: Gym 1 hour
Thursday: Kung Fu 1 hour
Friday: (maybe Gym) Kung Fu 1 hour
Saturnday: forms, bagwork or jogging depending on mood
sunday: relax

<I feel lazy too)

MightyB
09-12-2002, 09:30 AM
"What do you guys think of this workout schedule?

On monday,wednesday,thursday,and saturday I do my jumping jacks, push ups,sit ups,and conditioning exercises.On tuesday and friday I do power lifting.And on Sunday I rest.Also,I only do half the amount of reps on days that I have Kung Fu.I also eat about 2 protein bars a week with this.So,tell me what you think and give me any suggestions you have."

I think it's gay...

Kristoffer
09-12-2002, 09:33 AM
Don't think anyone named "MightyB" should talk about gay

MightyB
09-12-2002, 09:41 AM
I spit milk out my nose on that one...

good zinger Kristoffer

Kristoffer
09-12-2002, 09:44 AM
:D couldn't resist.. sorry

MightyB
09-12-2002, 09:52 AM
What's up with you Swedes and the Dutch? Your countries aren't that big but you guys put out a lot of bad a$$ fighters and a ton of the finalists for the world strong man competition.

Ryu
09-12-2002, 10:21 AM
I'm in a balancing act right now.

I try to train everyday for at least 2-3 hours, but this training mixes up a bit.

I try and do body weight conditioning excercises 2-3 days a week so let's say Monday, Wedsday, Saturday, I do 200-300 squats, 50-100 hindu pushups, 200-300 pushups, 3 sets of 10-15 pull ups, 200-300 crunches (different angles)

I also do a lot of grappling, scenario drills, contact sparring, groundpound drilling, etc.
So let's say, Tuesday, Thursday, and Sunday I spar either "NHB" styled matches, strict BJJ/judo newaza, boxing and Muay Thai/Jun Fan work, etc. I'll usually spar 1-2 times a week, and usually put in everything I can (punch, kick, clinch, takedown, submission, ground pound, etc.) Other times I "spar" in the form of scenario drilling and adrenaline response drills. So I will go through scenarios with training partners that include pre-fight situations, language, dialogue, pre-emptive strike and follow ups, sucker punch defenses, etc. All this is done full contact with proper gear.

This may sound like a lot, but remember that I have better weeks then others because I'm busy with lots of other things (writing, graduating college, etc. :) )
So there are times I can go two to three weeks of training just like this, or times where I will take a week or two off to get other things done. Although that is rare, because I always do something pretty much everyday, even if it be shadow boxing, or doing pummeling drills with a grappling dummy. Never a day I don't do something, but the intensity depends on certain things.

Ryu

SevenStar
09-12-2002, 10:33 AM
I think me, you waterdragon and monkeyslap are quads that were separated at birth :D

I do a lot of bodyweight exercises on my cma days, but I slacked up on the push ups and hindu pushups some. I was doing 200 - 300, but my shoulder started giving me problems shortly after. now I do 100 - 150. I've been trying to get back to basics on my cma stuff, so I'm doing a lot of stance work, bodyweight exercises, focusing on proper form, etc. I took a few of my forms and made line drills out of them that I use so I can drill certain movements repetitively.

What do you do for the adrenaline response training?

MightyB
09-12-2002, 10:56 AM
Ryu describes how to prepare to fight. That's the type of workout all martial artists should be doing. Notice how he concentrates on squats. Legs baby, that's what will carry you on to victory.

Viper, you sound like you are preparing to show off muscle. There's nothing wrong with power and weight training and I strongly advocate both, but, as Martial Artists, it's the fight'n we are concerned with.

What the heck is a hindu push up?

Ryu
09-12-2002, 11:01 AM
What do you do for the adrenaline response training?

It gets harder as you get used to the training. Basically I've done situational drills where someone gets up in your face, pushes you violently (hard contact) cusses, encroaches, etc. This kind of drill needs to be done with a lot of intent and actually some good acting skills too. :) If you're friends in real life, it's easy to get the "giggles" if you're not taking it seriously. So you've really got to allow yourself to get into the training.

Another drill I do is a sucker punch drill where I will wear headgear, and the guy in front of me will passively encroach and begin talking, asking questions, etc. I respond politely of course, but I have my hands up (either scratching my elbow, scratching my ear, calmly rubbing my hands together) in preparation for a possible attack. The scenario is based on someone invading your personal space to ask a question, but doesn't appear violent.
In this drill you try and respond back, try to keep him out of your personal space, etc. The "adrenaline" response you begin to get here is that you never know what your partner will do. He may simply leave you alone, he may get angry and start aggressively encroaching you, or he may simply try and trick you into believing he's not a "bad guy" and try and cold clock you with a sucker punch (thrown at real speed and contact.) This one gets the "butterflies" moving if you do it right. :D Because you can't just strike him first UNLESS you are absolutely sure you're legally justified in doing so.

There's lots of other things you can do. I've even been known to tell my partner we'll be doing a scenario where I stand behind him, and he turns around and has to defend an assault..... but when he does turn around I'll have a scary mask on that he didn't know about making the startle factor that much more effective. :D LOL, although certain things don't always work.

You've got to use imagination, harsh language, physical contact, surprise, etc. to get the adrenaline pumping.

Ryu

SevenStar
09-12-2002, 11:12 AM
I'll have to try those. I see alot of benefit there.

Dre, have you ever heard of an orn buffalo or a superman pushup?

if not, check this (http://www.cbass.com/Furey.htm) out.

Xebsball
09-12-2002, 11:33 AM
Since its on this topic already...

This is what idealy i plan to do in the future, note that im not doing this right now. Also note that i dont remeber how to say all days of the week in english :D

-Monday
morning - 1 hour Xing Yi
early night - 45 mins olympic fencing

-Others days except Saturday and Sunday
morning - 1 hour cardio
night - 1 to 1 and 1/2 hours Xing Yi

-Saturday
only zhan zhuang or 3 hours Xing Yi when theres weekend training

-Sunday
zhan zhuang

So, you guys think this makes sense? Its cool? Did you feel like sending me dollars as you read this post? Did you feel like taking your clothes off while you read this post? Did you feel like touching me as you read this post?

dezhen2001
09-12-2002, 11:40 AM
Xebs: nope.

david

Ryu
09-12-2002, 11:45 AM
I felt like touching you as I read that, Xeb. ;)

dezhen2001
09-12-2002, 11:46 AM
Xebs: how come u have less posts than me? Did some get deleted or something? :confused: Or do i just talk too much?:D

ps: fighterscat :)

david

SevenStar
09-12-2002, 11:49 AM
And on that note, I no longer think Ryu was one of us that was separated at birth. I think he was a stepchild :D

a big resounding no to all of those questions Xeb. I do have an urge to touch one of those "got qi" girls that posed for kf/qg though... ;)

what is zhan zhuang?

dezhen2001
09-12-2002, 11:55 AM
zhan zhuang is standing training/meditation... it's bloomin hard! Part of most IMA skills and Qigong :)

david

SevenStar
09-12-2002, 12:26 PM
what's hard about it?

dezhen2001
09-12-2002, 01:21 PM
hmmm... standing still without moving for over 1/2 an hour+ or even an hour+ gets pretty difficult :) Even trying to do it on 1 leg etc. I'd rather do squats... But they don't really help me the correct way (develop the correct body connection) for what i do...

Also the mental aspect is pretty tough... just standing there... gets boring :D It really develops your patience and focus :)

david

Xebsball
09-12-2002, 03:17 PM
LOL

Ryu, thanx but can you send the dollars instead please? :D

dez, i used to have around 1500 posts then about 800 of them got deleted, other members recieved this same punishment. By now i would have around 1700 or 1800 in total.

zhan zhuang is harder mentaly then phisicly, at least for lazy mofos like me.

Kristoffer
09-13-2002, 07:34 AM
MightyB- I dunno.. guess it's the milk :rolleyes:

SevenStar
09-13-2002, 09:24 AM
TTT for KC

scotty1
09-13-2002, 09:26 AM
When I do standing post Zhan Zhuang where you hold your arms out (Lohan Embracing Buddha?) I can only hold it for 10 mins.

Actually I can do 15 now. But I think Xeb's right, it's just as much mental as physical.

TkdWarrior
09-13-2002, 09:44 AM
my Zhan Zhuang goes around 35-40 minutes..
total workout is around 4 + hrs with includes forms(TKD n Tai-Chi)
, stretching, sparring and everything... i cut down my training schedule due to work and studies otherwise i used to put 2-3 hrs on Yoga too...
anybody of u ever tried FalunGong?? if yes how did ya find it...if NO then don't mind...
-TkdWarrior- :cool:

SevenStar
09-13-2002, 10:22 AM
You used to train 8 hrs a day? Did you have a job?