PDA

View Full Version : guangzhou bak mei or hongkong bakmei

fiercest tiger
09-27-2001, 06:40 AM
can anyone here explain the differences in the forms is it older versions in guangzhou or hongkong??

do they share the same principles?

ive studied in bak mei in guangzhou under ykm banner, but has anyone trained there in guangzhou bak mei?

no flame war please just a simple answer is fine!!
:) thanks in advance

come & visit us!
http://home.iprimus.com.au/ykm
yaukungmun@hotmail.com

Olaf
09-27-2001, 11:47 AM
I think there are also differences within Hong Kong Pack Mei. I mean Cantonese versus Hakka Pack Mei. I don't know what the differences are but this is what I heard. We did visit a Hakka Pack Mei school in Yuen Long (HK). They are of the same branch we are from.

CLOUD ONE
09-27-2001, 03:14 PM
Hi F.T.
Last time I was in Hong kong I bought a VCD
about nine step push. This was in Mandarin so I expect this to be the Ganzhou Pak Mei you are talking about. From what I saw from the form it is a lot longer in everything to what I am used to. Also the practioner had no ging!!!
The set is more flowery but the actual techniques look similar!
He also showed some applications of the technique which wouldn't work in real situation.
I now understand why you made that comment about the china suvey tape!!!
I think your trying your best to find info on Hakka Pak Mei, but to tell you the truth it is very difficult, alot with what happenned in the past of the Hakka People.

fiercest tiger
09-27-2001, 05:35 PM
i have the same vcd, your are correct on everything you said except the same as us comment! :cool: They maybe from the mainland but they are nothing like the guangzhou bak mei that i seen in guangzhou. :confused:

i think that 9 step is mixed with some sup batt and ying jow lin kuil! no ging in any move, and the techniques werent anything special.

i have yet to see hakka bak mei, next time in hongkong ill check them out! if they let gwalo in to see!!

thanks for your comments

come & visit us!
yaukungmun@hotmail.com

mantis108
09-27-2001, 08:52 PM
That is the proof, where centralization of CMA in China is dangerous to traditional arts. Hundreds of years of development spoiled by *fill in the blank* people in less than 50 years. It is also another thing about sportificating the system which should retain it own identity. But, NOOOOO, because some glory seeking "masters" believe it's okay to basterize with the "invitation" of the ruling party.

Bak Mei, same as Lung Ying, is not a "spectator" style/sport [period]. Personally, I am really sick of this judging business. The style is about feelings, perceptions, intent, expressions etc... How on earth can you honestly say that one feeling/perception/expression is better than the other and therefore the WINNER? As far as I am concern, everyone in Bak Mei(the real one) is already a winner. **** WuShu! *pardon the outburst* It is the stupidest thing every happen in Kung Fu history. Anyway that just me.

Sorry about the rant.

Mantis108

Contraria Sunt Complementa

sui-fuw
09-28-2001, 02:07 AM
f.t you asked which is older?gwangdoa [in hak-ka]
is older by about 4 generations.there is not many who know this rarepak-mei,it all falls into place.why the hell didn't you say before?it would of saved alot of greif,i am so sorry for everything.why?because that was the first,and it would be like a grand****hers,grand****her.how the hell did you learn it?[just a figure of speech]
the hak-ka pak-mei an evolution of this,respect is in order,but i hope ykm evoleved too.we have much to talk about? :)

cloud can you believe it?i don't know why he wants to see hak-ka ging?its not the same i know,but there are other things in the final stages that can disolve ging[do you know this f.t?]i've seen it too the vcd the princaples are there,he just performed it very badly,in my opinion.the movement not simalar to hak-ka pack-mei,what say you cloud?

CLOUD ONE
09-28-2001, 03:18 AM
It looks like I jumped to some conclusions also.
F.T what are the differences you are talking about between the vcd and the Guanzhou Pak Mei?
I take it you are from that lineage.
Sui Fuw you are correct, it seems grandmaster Chong Li Chan evolved the system to a more compact system.
So I apologise to you F.T for the assumption that we were talking about the same thing.
Why so interested in the Hakka style Pak Mei?
Like Olaf said there are differences with the Cantonese Bak Mei, why not seek there side?
I suspect Mantis 108 can shed some light into this. How does it differ?
There are rare occasions where Hakka pak Mei is seen in tournaments in Hong Kong.
But usually it is not the done thing.
There are no "schools" you can attend either to see this.
Good luck to you any way.

Olaf- who was teaching you at Yen Long?

sui-fuw
09-28-2001, 03:39 AM
f.t,do you know much mandarin?if not,my advice if you want it is to learn this and not cantonese[no offense to anyone but there is lost meaning and translation]i know now why you say sarm marn kuen,but i think it is more like sarn marn[you got it from your si-gung,right?]and he knoes of us thats why the intrest.but honest"present from heavan"[not a gwai low]no need to be courious?i may e-mail soon to talk more.thank you again.

oh by the way how old are you if you don't mind?

sui-fuw
09-28-2001, 03:42 AM
cloud its amazing how stupid that i didn't see.it all falls into place don't you agree? :)

fiercest tiger
09-28-2001, 11:04 PM
started ykm at 15-16yrs old!

what is your defence against ging?

you guys have lost me here! but anyways the vcd was more wushuish too me, longer stances and postures!

no matter what there will be differences dpending on the teachers ability and thinkings!

come & visit us!
yaukungmun@hotmail.com

tnwingtsun
09-29-2001, 02:59 PM
Nice to see everybody getting along