PDA

View Full Version : White Crane

dre_doggX
09-27-2001, 03:51 PM
Is it true that one of the styles that made wingchun was southern white crane.
I really wont it increase my kicking aresnal I think that maybe I should study the foot moves of white crane. does white crane have any kicks when doesnt have.

Andre Lashley

friday
09-27-2001, 04:55 PM
Which style of white crane are u talking about? I once found a website which did mention white crane in wing chun but i seriously doubt that wing chun is partly based on white crane.
i have heard how there was a dispute in hk between wing chun and pak hok (white crane) but thats another story...
as for white cranes kicks....yes there are many and they look quite different from wing chun kicks
at least from my low experience with the style.

Crimson Phoenix
09-27-2001, 09:43 PM
Yes, fujian white crane (FWC) is believed by major sources to be the root of wing chun (WC)...from what I have seen in WC and from my limited knowledge of FWC (the road is long, but I keep walking :) ), it is obvious...however many FWC exponents belive WC is a washed down version...it is their opinion, based mainly on the fact that FWC is more complex...
Anyway, for the kicks, beware, there aren't that many kicks in fujian white crane (watch out, do not confuse fujian white crane with tibetan white crane, lots of people do not clearly see the difference and can be mislead).
The most used one is ding tui, a kick from the leading foot given with the ball of the foot to the opponent's leg, never higher than the knee: you bring the back leg towards the front one and stomp on the ground with it while at the same time kicking straight with the lead leg (ankle, shin, knee, not higher). The back leg's stomp gives power to the kick (you have to really coordonate it though, and learn to transfer the energy to the kick) and destabilizes the opponent...you can kick a post or a bag laid on the ground...do it quick, snap, penetrate, then back to guard without changing the lead leg...
Another one that is used is a mini roundhouse to the side of the knee, again with the ball of the foot, in a very whipping motion...once again, practice launching it without warning from the front leg...
Surprisingly, there are jumping kicks in FWC too, but they are used in a unique way: you never kick above the sternum...most of the jump kicks used strike the groin, or knee, and are double jump kicks to keep the pressure and make your own targets less easy to reach.
Hence you can find a double jumped slap kick with both kicks aimed at the groin either on place or jumping forward to close the gap (usually the back leg kicks first here).
You have many variations of it: jump, front kick with tip of toes from the back leg then slap to the groin, land in original position...or slap first then front, or two fronts, or one to the groin and the second to the knee...any variation...
Another one is a single jumped slap kick to the groin from the lead leg starting from the guard position: you are on position, jump without warning and slap with the lead leg while landing in the same position. Fast and unpredictable.
Another one "8 steps to chase the cicada": you jump high, bring in both legs, but strike only on the way down, with a side cut to the knee...you can often follow with a sweep if needed...
You can also find a stomp kick (stomp on the knee with feet open 45 degrees, or file down the shin while you strike with upper weapons).

Hope that gave you some good ideas for training!!

dooder
09-28-2001, 11:06 PM
I study some southern snake and crane(5 animals) and you can easily adapt stuff to wing chun. My southern crane has short wc like hand techniques and some long hooks punches and straight punches. we do do a jumping front kick but its mostly hands. Our snake has high front kicks to rear leg behind the back hop kicks. You might want to look at some of the other southern shaolin animals for kicks. I think the tiger tail side thrust kick is a good kick to have. The thing I've noticed about some WC people is their lack of long range techniques and lack of stamina. They can be easy to dance arround and out manuver. Hope that helps.

friday
09-29-2001, 04:26 AM
hmmm i think i should clarify my post
i was referring to wing chun not being based upon pak hok kuen of lama origins

i think the article may have been talking about the other white crane style