PDA

View Full Version : sport fighting and conditioning

SevenStar
09-12-2002, 11:13 AM
http://www.realfighting.com/0102/mattfurey.htm

Mutant
09-12-2002, 01:07 PM
Thanks 4 the link to that realfighting website, that site rocks, great training info and exercises.

i thought this interview with Dutch Judoka/karateka Jon Bluming was great, he tells it like he sees it, goes off on both Emin Bostepe and the Gracies, very interesting.

http://www.realfighting.com/0102/jonblumi.htm

Ford Prefect
09-12-2002, 01:19 PM
I've seen a few things on that Dutch guy. he's pretty badass.

Suntzu
09-12-2002, 01:21 PM
*this thread is now being momentarily HiJacked...stay cool and no one will get hurt*

Mutant how was Florida??? If I read correctly u did fight…

Mutant
09-12-2002, 02:28 PM
*hijacked thread response*

Hay Sunzu whats up?

Yeah i fought down in Orlando Laborday weekend after all. I really thought i was sidelined after screwing up my hamstring so bad, but i layed off it for a few days, until the day of the fight on saturday and decided to fight anyway....which was tough because i had totally relaxed and ate lots of protein to heal the muscle for a few days, thinking i probably wouldnt fight anyway, and was therefore 5 lbs over at weigh-in, so i had to lose 5 lbs in 5 hours for final weigh-in (which i made) but htat made me totally dehydrated. So i was limping, but figured that i don't really need to be able to walk smooth to be able to fight, so i just went in and tryed to fight conservatively, cause i couldnt throw kicks too well, especially rooting on the bad leg, or takedowns that put too much strain on it. The guy i fought was a good fighter, he was real experienced, had been fighting pro muay tai fights in NYC before he went to san shou there (from what i heard). He fought like a tai boxer for the most part, he got me good with some leg kicks and i ate some punches. I also landed some kicks, mostly low round kicks cause my side-kicks were shut down (which would have worked best against his style, i love side-kicks) and threw him several times, twice off the lai tie (not in same round tho), i was about tied with points for awhile but as the fight wore on he definately out battled me and deserved the win. I really not making an accuse of losing due to injury, he was an experienced fighter and very well may have won even if i wasnt hurt coming into it. He ended up winning the entire weight class.
So i lost but it was good experience, i never felt in danger like i couldnt hang with him or like i might be knocked out, but he was definately a better fighter that day. The rest of the boston san shou team all won their matches and got gold medals, i guess i'm like the team mascott at this point ;)

We had a blast down in florida though. You going to that art of war tournament? Not sure if i'll go, i'll see how my hammy heals, its still sore...
L8r

*end of hijack reply*

Brad Souders
09-12-2002, 08:01 PM
Mutant glad to see you did get to hook up with the Boston team. Good luck in training!! Lata, Brad

Serpent
09-12-2002, 09:09 PM
Originally posted by MutantWarrior
*hijacked thread response*
<snip>
after screwing up my hamstring so bad, but i layed off it for a few days, until the day of the fight on saturday and decided to fight anyway....which was tough because i had totally relaxed and ate lots of protein to heal the muscle for a few days, thinking i probably wouldnt fight anyway, and was therefore 5 lbs over at weigh-in, so i had to lose 5 lbs in 5 hours for final weigh-in (which i made) but htat made me totally dehydrated.
<snip>

So i was limping, but figured that i don't really need to be able to walk smooth to be able to fight, so i just went in and tryed to fight conservatively, cause i couldnt throw kicks too well, especially rooting on the bad leg, or takedowns that put too much strain on it.
<snip>

*end of hijack reply*

Man, top marks for determination, but that's just not healthy! :eek: Do you ever wonder what things like that are doing to your body long term?

guohuen
09-12-2002, 10:41 PM
The Jon Bluming interview was great. I thought the Matt Furey stuff was kind of obvious. It amazes me that anyone actually thinks they can fight without conditioning. Perhaps it's more amazing that anyone would pay for this information.

Serpent
09-12-2002, 11:41 PM
I never heard of Jon Bluming before and he may have achieved a lot and I agree that MMA is nothing new. But, to be frank, Bluming strikes me as a complete arrogant arsehole.

Suntzu
09-13-2002, 06:10 AM
*re-hijacking*

atleast you didn't lose to a loser… I hear great things about Boston's infamous front leg sidekick… I'm working on mine… 5 lbs that fast huh?… that's tuff… take care of yourself and hopefully you can make it to AOW… I got a few loose ends I wanna tie up down there;)...

SevenStar
09-13-2002, 06:40 AM
for you, Guohen :)

http://forum.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?threadid=15741

guohuen
09-13-2002, 08:05 AM
Hehe. Thanks.:D