PDA

View Full Version : Anyone know these forms?

freedom76
09-12-2002, 06:38 PM
I'm trying to find out more about these forms--any information (have you learned this, heard of it , etc):
Northern Shaolin Long Fist Numbered Fighting Methods Forms 1-10--this is organized into 10 runs each run being a seprate form unto itself with little to no crossover of techniques from one run to another, each run being about ten movements each:
#1 Cannon Fist
#2 Raining/Meteor/Splashing Fist (#1&2 Combine the 18 Northern Fist)
#3 Trapping Fist
#4 13 Sweeping Method
#5 Locking Fist (Chin Na)
#6 Di Tang (all on the ground)
#7 Crossing Fist (one side to the other)
#8 Attack and Evade
#9 Plum Flower Fist, Splitting Hand
#10 Flying Kicks (combinations including Double Straight Leg,Back Kick-or Dragon Whips Its Tail, Tornado Kick--Jump Sin Fan)
It maybe from the Ma Family and/or Cha Chuan

Also "Tornado Tiger Broadsword"--which involves binding and entwining the head in nearly every movement (just slight variations) and upward and downward cuts. This form can also be done with single broadsword and shield as well as double broadsword, leaving the foot pattern the same thoughout.

Also Wind Staff (Long Staff), 12 Winds (like the staff form group demo in Jet Li's Shaolin Temple), and Demon Wind Staff (which is definitely Songshan Shaolin version)

All these forms are very good forms. The Longfist has the Hero pose and strike the tiger pose in them.

The man teaching them is named Jerry Cook in Phoenix, AZ. He has the title Te-Ching, which he refuses to translate other than a misspelling of teaching. He has a good reputation, at least from Li Jinheng. He teaches a lot of different forms (Wudang Taichi Sword, Buddha Palm, Hung Gar Tiger Crane, Five Animals-from Tiger Crane, Nine Gates--kicking practice form, Sun Style Bagua, Yang Tai Chi, Mantis and many weapons)
I have a guess that he may have trained with Sifu Wing Lam for some of these.

Please help me with this if you have any ideas or information. Thank you!!!

HuangKaiVun
09-15-2002, 01:31 PM
From what I've heard, Li Jinheng is a former wushu training classmate of Li Lianjie.

You could try contacting Li Jinheng at his school. He has a website, though I can't remember the URL.

yuanfen
09-15-2002, 01:53 PM
Jin Heng was really a senior of Jet Li by a year or two on the Bejing wushu team. He has a Wu shu supply company-- World Wu Shu or something like that.You should be able to find it with a search engine. Joy

Tainan Mantis
09-22-2002, 07:43 AM
If that is Feng Mo stick then I have some info.
The version I have seen is a solo and partner version.

Although I have seen a Flashy Shaolin form that looks like it was made for fighting against a whole army.
It was performed by a monk at shaolin.

carly
12-19-2002, 04:15 PM
what is the feng mo staff form like?

GeneChing
12-19-2002, 04:19 PM
Feng mo gun can be translated as wind demon staff (http://store.yahoo.com/martialartsmart/vidshaolkunw.html)

neptunesfall
12-20-2002, 06:30 AM
The man teaching them is named Jerry Cook in Phoenix, AZ. He has the title Te-Ching, which he refuses to translate other than a misspelling of teaching.

:rolleyes:
go watch fearless hyena (jackie chan). the man with the fake school's name is Te Cha.
http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/TheFearlessHyena-1007179/preview.php

carly
12-21-2002, 11:59 AM
The splitting hand and the fengmo staff sound like they are from the mainland China Pigua system.
The cannon Fist could be a few tings, maybe mainland Tong Bei style.
Why won't your sifu just tell you where he learned these forms and who from?

carly
12-21-2002, 12:24 PM
Or perhaps the cannon form could be Shaolin ershisi pao
(24 cannon strikes of Shaolin)

freedom76
01-07-2003, 11:08 AM
This form came through Jerry Cook, but thats where the lineage ends because he wont say where he's learned things from. I find that frustrating and a little suspicious, but I can't deny that this"longfist" form seems to be authentic. Many movemnets from it I have seen in more traditional shaolin forms.
Who else has heard of Jerry Cook and where or how do you know about him? I've noticed that a lot of the stuff he teaches is parts of Sifu Wing Lam's curriculum. Jerry Cook has admitted to at least visiting Sifu Lam's school, but as to more...he won't say.
Has anybody else heard of the title "Te Ching" before? I can't find a translation that makes any sense, but I haven't been studying Chinese all that long.
Thank you.

Shadowkick108
01-15-2003, 10:13 PM
Could you tell me the cross streets of Jerry Cook's school? I am interested in switching schools. Thanks.

freedom76
01-16-2003, 04:55 PM
Jerry Cook doesn't have a school anymore. He used to teach at world martial arts (Li Jinheng's school--very good) www.worldmas.com He also is the primary instructor for the instructor's at United Martial Arts in Phoenix (32nd St & Shea) and the Glendale location www.unitedmartialarts.com Master Li's school is pretty expensive. I'd recommend going into United Martial Arts in Phoenix. The Glendale one is a bit different. At the Phoenix location they teach Shaolin Longfist, Hung Gar, and Tai Chi. Also traditional weapons. You can find them in the phonebook. Call ahead to set-up a time so you can go through class.

carly
01-16-2003, 10:15 PM
Why wouldn't a sifu say where his forms came from or who his teachers were, or what his title means? I can guess why.

David Jamieson
01-24-2003, 07:42 PM
well, why does it matter?

Maybe he has his reasons fo not saying.
Maybe he feels it is none of the students business at the time and that when the time is right he'll tell the student.

Maybe it's a test to see how much suspicion is in the student.

if you are not comfortable with what is offered then leave. It's better than staying and feeling regret about it.

anyway, that's how i see it. when it comes to kungfu, if its good I'm all ready to learn. If it's not what I understand to be good, then I'll pass. But I'll pass politely :)

cheers

Sho
01-25-2003, 05:31 AM
Originally posted by freedom76
#6 Di Tang (all on the ground)This form is not all the way on the ground. It's a physically demanding form, which includes many jumps, falls and kip-ups. You can see it for example in contemporary wushu.