PDA

View Full Version : for all of you that think bjjers dis all TMA...

SevenStar
09-12-2002, 10:33 PM
Tonight, after class, a few of us were standing outside the gym talking. We had a long discussion about self defense techniques of various TMA. the only one they knocked was tkd, and they even said that the only reason they knocked it is because they know the tkd here sucks for the most part. They all actually wanted to cross train in aikido.

joedoe
09-12-2002, 10:35 PM
What the he11 were you smoking? :D

Serpent
09-12-2002, 10:39 PM
Yeah, pass the bowl Seven*!

Seriously though, why would BJJer's want to X-train Aikido? I'm not knocking it, I'm generally interested in why.

dezhen2001
09-12-2002, 10:59 PM
i guess Good Aikido is like Good TKD - pretty rare :D

I know when i trained it, there were some Judo guys who came to my class coz they wanted to learn all the wrist techniques (not taught/banned in Judo i think?).

Also i found it teaches u quite a lot about how to be in the best position to do things (safest) and how to control someone pretty well...

i used to 'cross train' it with my Karate, Boxing, and MT :) Wish i had found it before any of those though - actually wish i had met my Sifu first :D

david

Badger
09-13-2002, 06:22 AM
At Carlos Machado's school there are people who have backgrounds in: Aikido,Aikijitsu,TKD,Karate,Kungfu,JKD,Kali,Judo,J apanese Jiujitsu,Etc.

I have yet to hear anyone talk about how other styles are crap or whatever.

Badger

Ford Prefect
09-13-2002, 07:39 AM
Me neither. In all my time training BJJ, I never once heard anybody make fun of another style. I see some people on here try to contructively criticize a training method, but then insecure people take it as a slight or an attack.

KC Elbows
09-13-2002, 08:43 AM
I'm offended by that statement!!!

Actually, members of my school have been comparing notes on ground fighting. We're all pretty much of the mind that it'd be great to work out with some bjj'ers or judoka, or what have you.

Over time, I've learned that most of the bashers aren't actually practitioners of much of anything, and it's good to question your art, you learn more that way. The good arts can stand up to such questioning, anyway.

Still, I'm outraged!!!:mad:

:D

Former castleva
09-13-2002, 09:02 AM
Well thatīs a positive thread,thaks to you for that.

"They all actually wanted to cross train in aikido."
Haha.I would love to see the cynics face when they hear that.
;) Good thing to read that.

Badger
09-13-2002, 09:51 AM
I know a guy who does both Aikido & BJJ.
He says that the body movement in Aikido benefits his BJJ on the ground.

Kinda like using the trapping & sensitivity from Wing Chun on the ground to benefit your BJJ.

If it works for you more power to you.

Badger

MA fanatic
09-13-2002, 07:51 PM
I train at the Gracie Bara bjj gym, and i have to say that most guys are open minded. Some guys have cross trained in other arts after they had been in bjj for quite some time. No one says taht bjj guys are closed minded. Most just love martial arts and will learn anything which will make them better fighters. Also, many bjj guys are competitive by nature, and dont mind learning another martial sport like TKD, Muay Thai, full contact karate, Judo, etc. etc. Just like many TMA guys cross train in bjj, so do bjj people cross train in TMA. BTW, it is important to note, that bjj is a Traditional Martial Art.
MA fanatic

Ka
09-13-2002, 10:24 PM
I guess this is why we are called Mixed Martial Arts,and the fact that they are happy to cross train as long as the stuff makes sence and can see it working.
I have found most always happy to try new stuff.sort of like open minded type people
jezze that would be rare in a MA forum!

Less of the lineage and lingo and more of the sweat and crude jokes.

Ralek
09-13-2002, 10:43 PM
There is a reason why kung fu people try to cross train in BJJ.
And there is a reason why BJJ people Never cross train in kung fu.

www.bjj.org/images/royce-delucia.jpg

old jong
09-14-2002, 06:41 AM
And most of the times these jerks are not even training in anything!...They just are watching their old UFC tapes eating popcorn and trolling on various forums as a way of life.
I guess they somehow have a role in the big wheel of life .Similar creatures like bacterias,roaches,pubic crabs and ass worms are part of the big plan,so...
;)

old jong
09-14-2002, 09:55 AM
I really have to apologise to these innocent creatures for comparing them to those who diss other styles and trolls. ;)

tri2bmt
09-14-2002, 03:17 PM
Anybody that trashes another style and sees it as inferior not just to themselves but to everyone is an idiot. How can you say what is good for one or two people is good for everyone else? I might even cross train one day in arnis or bjj or akidio or whatever as long as it's not crap. I don't really care for training at two martial arts at the same time as one is enough especially since I've chosen the school and if i wanted something else i would leave.

SevenStar
09-14-2002, 05:03 PM
I do kung fu and bjj, romo. :p

NorthernMantis
09-14-2002, 07:34 PM
Well first of all John Delucia doens't know kung fu. what he know's is some made up stuff.

When you can give me areal kungfu stylist that fought I'll startlisetening.

Ralek
09-14-2002, 08:21 PM
I guess all the "real" kung fu people like Emin Boztepe, William Cheung, Ling Teun, Bruce Lee, and Master Poo Poo have elected not to fight?

And i guess the people like Jason Delucia (who had over 15 years of shoalin 5 animals kung fu), that huge wing chun guy who fought in the early Pride's, and that other guy that got dropped on his head by Igor Z. , were all just fakes with fake lineagues.

I guess every kung fu person who has lost in NHB is a fake. But if a kung fu person wins they are most certainly hailed as a kung fu hero with true kung fu lineage!!!!!

dre
09-14-2002, 08:33 PM
I have my doubts about the truth behind Emin Boztepe's Kungfu.

Leung Ting is like 60 years Old.

And I don't know the rest.

Ralek
09-14-2002, 08:39 PM
Actually i thought the huge wing chun guy in the early Pride fighting championships was pretty cool. But he was beat by Rickson Gracie so everyone turns their back on him and calls him a fake. What a shame.

dre
09-14-2002, 08:42 PM
Do you happen to study BJJ at an upstate NY school?

Ralek
09-14-2002, 08:52 PM
no. I am in Maryland.

KungFuGuy!
09-15-2002, 01:47 AM
...And he doesn't train in BJJ. Unless you call watching movies training :D

MA fanatic
09-15-2002, 04:12 AM
Here we go again. Just when it was a thread about BJJ and cross training TMA, all of the sudden someone starts talking about NHB and kung fu. I saw Jason Delucia fight. He seemed pretty good actually. Many don't know this, but Jason Delucia faught Royce Gracie before. HE challenged Royce at the Gracie Academy. The fight is on The Gracie JJ In Action tape. On that tape you see Royce, Royler, and other members of the Gracie family take out Kung Fu guys, Kempo guys, Judo guys, and Hapkido guys who come to challenge them. As for Jason, he later trained at the Gracie academy, only to meet his teacher in the UFC2. He lost via arm bar. Jason went on to compete in Japan and actually did pretty good from what I hear. He cross trains in grappling now. The guy was always tough and willing to test his style. Something that Lewicky (I'm not sure of the spelling), the big Wing Chun guy who fought in UFC and who earlier fought Rickson in Japan Vale Tudo, did. There was another Wing Chun guy who claimed to be one of the best in Europe. He fought Zinoviev and lost in 40 seconds. Recently another Wing Chun guy represented his school at the Gladiator Challenge and fought Jason Ludwig (one of Bas Rutten students)...he was almost almost killed (got hit with everything possible including multiple kicks to the head). I'm not saying that Kung Fu is ineffective. It is effective. But, so far, all so called masters are afraid to step up. Lets face it, if they actually believed that they could do some damage in an NHB ring against trained fighters, they would step up and do so. The ones that actually tested their skills, deserve a lot of credit. It doesn't matter if they lost. They tested themselves, while many of their masters sat back and made up excuses.
MA fanatic

old jong
09-15-2002, 08:42 AM
A very small minority actually is part of these shows.
The big majority is divided in ;those who like to watch,those who could'nt care less,and internet trolls.

MA fanatic
09-15-2002, 06:38 PM
I personally don't care if a certain master fought NHB or didn't. I train from some of the top people in a particular art, so I'm happy. The only time I actually care, is when martial artists (be they from the arts of Kung Fu, Bando, Karate, etc. etc.) make statements that they could in fact defeat NHB fighters. That's when I say, "prove it." I recently trained with a guy who had a few local NHB fights. He won two and lost two. I still respect him for trying. He's a great athlete and believes in testing what he learns. He says, "when I finally discover which techniques work for me, I'll know I can use them any time." I also witnessed a class by members of the Universal TKD Federation (www.UTFTKD.com) who claimed that their technique was too deadly to spar with in full contact. They joked about the effectiveness of grappling and stated, "Muay Thai is not an effective art because it was designed as a sport while TKD was designed to be a killer art." Those are the comments which **** me off. I say, just step into a ring with a Muay Thai guy and see how long you last.
MA fanatic

Ford Prefect
09-16-2002, 10:55 AM
http://www.sherdog.com/fightfinder/displayfighter.cfm?fighterid=22

32-19-1 in NHB. That's 52 more pro fights than I've had... I wouldn't be so quick to put Delucia down.

Badger
09-16-2002, 01:39 PM
Delucia does have good record. Not bad at all.

Badger

Jockwurst
09-17-2002, 08:20 AM
I have trained in kung fu, judo, and japanese jiu jitsu. The whole kung fu nhb thing boils down to this - what would happen in a real fight? In a real fight things are spontaneous and the goal is to get out of it quickly and with as few injuries as possible. Sure the gracies toppled many traditional martial artists in the UFC's. But honestly, how many of you MMA BBJ or whatever else you subscribe to believe that a streetfight will last as long as the one between Royce and Ken Shamrock? The probability that two guys will roll around on a parking lot or bar floor for 30+ minutes until one either wears out or gets the upper hand is ludicrous. And for multiple opponents, BJJ is suicide. BJJ is very effective within the scope of its theatre which is a MMA ring where there is a ref to make sure that the fight stops when its supposed to and that other intersests don't climb into the ring with a ball bat. Of course I've seen grappling work in a real fight WHEN it has gone to the ground. More often though I've seen a good jab to the nose end it more effectively.

ewallace
09-17-2002, 08:37 AM
But honestly, how many of you MMA BBJ or whatever else you subscribe to believe that a streetfight will last as long as the one between Royce and Ken Shamrock?
I believe that about as much as I believe that two professional fighters such as Royce and Shamrock would end up fighting each other on the street.

Merryprankster
09-17-2002, 08:42 AM
For multiple opponents, being on the ground is generally not a good idea. On the other hand, BJJ, which teaches you how to control positioning on the ground, is a godsend in this situation because you can get the 300 lbs redneck off of you more quickly and efficiently and get up hopefully, so you can run. I'll take my BJJ over anything else if I get surprised by a guy who manages to get me on my back, thanks.

Tools in the toolbox. It's like asking if a hammer is better than a screwdriver without providing context.

The rest of what you are discussing is situational awareness, and has far less to do with style and a great more to deal with personal stupidity (or intelligence.)

KC Elbows
09-17-2002, 08:57 AM
Wasn't this a thread about TMA and bjj getting along?

Why the debate?

ewallace
09-17-2002, 09:03 AM
Have you ever seen a thread that included "BJJ" and "TMA"? that didn't end up this way.

Am I the only one that has noticed that a lot of new posters have an extreme prejudice toward BJJ, but over time their opinions either take a total 180 turnaround or are dramatically softened?

KC Elbows
09-17-2002, 09:05 AM
I've noticed it too.

CD Lee
09-17-2002, 08:52 PM
You know...I think even Ralek is softening up a bit talking all the new Kung Fu had wrestling in it thousands of years ago and all. I think he is taking Kung Fu lessons.