PDA

View Full Version : costochondritis???

resher
09-12-2002, 11:31 PM
does anyone here have constochondritis or experience weird rib/sternum pains?? i just found out that i have this costochondritis thing, and its been bothering me for about a year. supposedly it won't go away unless i stop all rigorous movement in my upper body for quite some time...does anyone else have an alternative suggestion? or has anyone else had this or have it? =)

omegapoint
09-13-2002, 01:28 AM
Between your ribs there is muscle. When this tissue gets overworked or strained it becomes inflamed and can be a nuisance and a hinderance to movement. Breathing deeply can even cause pain. The course of treatment includes rest and NSAIDS (Non-Steroidal Anti-Inflammatory Drugs) like Motrin. This not only helps with the pain and inflammation but also contributes to better blood flow, and quicker healing time. Unless you are an alkie or have stomach ulcers taking an NSAID should be no prob.

This is not a bad injury and with about a week or 2 of rest and a moderate course of Ibuprofen or similar meds. you will notice a huge change in pain relief and increased motion w/ less discomfort. This is really a pain thing and really doesn't effect range of motion. You'll live...

BTW didn't your Primary Care provider explain this to you? It's an easy and cheesy diagnosis to explain to a layman.

GLW
09-13-2002, 05:58 AM
NSAIDs also have one other problem area - if you have Asthma or major allergies or allergies to any medications you need to exercise caution with them.

Allergic reactions to them can land you in the hospital cardiac or other units fast.

Cody
09-13-2002, 10:27 AM
I wonder if liniment would help too. I have had many soft tissue problems, and find jow invaluable, especially when it's very penetrating but doesn't give off a lot of heat.

feel better soon,
Cody

Gold Horse Dragon
09-13-2002, 03:40 PM
Not to alarm you, but pain in or behind the sternum can be indicative of more serious problems...so get this checked by a good MD. If the problem is musculo-ligamentous-skeletal...acupuncture in the form of a slight pecking into the most painful area(s) which are found via careful palpation will get rid of this. It can tend to recur. Also strained structures as mentioned above, on the spine can refer pain to the sternocostal cartileges and their connections with the sternum and ribs.

Hope you get rid of your pain soon!

GHD

omegapoint
09-13-2002, 04:14 PM
Originally posted by Gold Horse Dragon
Not to alarm you, but pain in or behind the sternum can be indicative of more serious problems...so get this checked by a good MD. If the problem is musculo-ligamentous-skeletal...acupuncture in the form of a slight pecking into the most painful area(s) which are found via careful palpation will get rid of this. It can tend to recur. Also strained structures as mentioned above, on the spine can refer pain to the sternocostal cartileges and their connections with the sternum and ribs.

Hope you get rid of your pain soon!

GHD

I would assume he has seen a clinician since most folks don't normally throw the term "costochondritis" out. As for referred pain: yeah you could have a cardiac problem, Tripla A (Abdominal Aortic Aneurysm), Gall stones, Pancreatitis, Bone Mets. (cancer that has spread to the bone), Asthma or other resp. ailment or a myriad of differential diagnoses. It's 98% costochondritis though. As for the allergy to motrin, it's quite rare and that is why it is a common over-the-counter pain med.

Still if you haven't seen a real health care provider, it don't got to be no MD- D.O.s, PAs, and NPs are just as good at diagnosing simple things like this- you should do that to rule out anything serious. I gather you already have and he or she probably told you exactly what I told you. Good luck and get well soon!

Gold Horse Dragon
09-14-2002, 07:12 AM
Resher,

I suggest you see a qualified MEDICAL DOCTOR to rule out any possible serious problem...this is just a precautionary and wise course of action.
I have successfully treated your problem with acupuncture. It takes about three sessions for a moderate problem but could take more sessions depending on the serverity. After treatment, the pain will go away for months, but can come back. After the initial treatments, return to the acupuncturist in three to four months and then again in the same amount of time...to fully resolve the probem. After this, if you re-injure yourself...see the acupuncturist again.
If you do not have access to a qualified and skillful acupuncturist, you or a friend can do acupressure (not usually as good as acupuncture, however sometimes it can work almost as good). The way you do it is to take the end of your nail and slowly & strongly press it into the most painful spot(s) and hold it steady for for 10 seconds and slowly release the pressure. You have to palpate (feel) for the painful spot(s) (reactive points) and deactivate all of them.
Anti-inflamatorys/analgesics such as Ibuprofen can help to reduce inflamation (which can cause pain) and dull pain (analgesic) and is good to take if you have no contraindications to it such as allergies or other medical conditons. However a drug such as mentioned will not resolve the problem for you even with rest over a period of time (it will return as soon as you start doing again what caused it).
Hope this helps!

GHD