PDA

View Full Version : Random thoughts of a partially insane guy...

MightyB
09-13-2002, 10:30 AM
I've been doing kung fu for about 9 years, and about a year ago I competed in my first san shou match. I got beaten, not too bad, but it was a humbling experience...

I've learned a couple of things since then, especially about what a real martial artist is.

First: there is no real fighter who isn't a MMA. You have to be MMA if you want to win in the ring, or survive on the street.

Second: the more complex the technique, the least likely that you'll ever be able to use it.

Third: Being a martial artist doesn't make you special. It doesn't even have much of an effect on how good of a fighter you are. How many times have you seen a person who was supposably a Black Belt get their arse handed to them on the street against somebody who has no training? Being a martial artist may actually be a hindrance to street survival. I've heard of and have seen instances where it makes people go against their senses. For example, the martial artist who decides to walk down the dark alley instead of the well lighted street because they felt that wearing pajamas and playing slap tag for two hours a week made them invincible. Or the person who hesitated to duck an incoming blow because there teacher said that ducking and weaving makes your head vulnerable to a knee or kick. Or, the worse case scenario-- the martial artist who appoints themself as a mystic sheepherder who is somehow smarter and better than everybody else-- aka "the enlightened-pajama-wearing-slap-tagger" or his meditating counterpart, "the chi-hippi".

Fourth: If there is such a thing as enlightenment, it won't come to people who are seeking it. If it was as easy as meditating and preaching sage like thoughts, Carradine would be Buddha by now and James P. Lacey would rule the universe. Why doesn't it work that way? Because that would be too easy. If anybody claims to be able to teach you enlightenment, send 'im out the door with a kick in the pants and shout "I got your enlightenment right here" see also "the Canons of Chan Buddhism" or "Zen" by old Bhodhiddarma himself.

Martial Arrogance is bad whether you get it through practicing meditation or fighting.

Fifth: I can't wait to get back in the ring.

The MightyB insanity's voice.

gazza99
09-13-2002, 10:41 AM
Except for one:

"First: there is no real fighter who isn't a MMA. You have to be MMA if you want to win in the ring, or survive on the street"

Im sure there are many people here who are not "MMA" who have survived street encounters. But if you define MMA as any combination of styles for ex. Shaolin Kung-fu, and Wing Tsun, then im sure many more people qualify under the MMA definition!

Id like say AMEN to this quote:

"Second: the more complex the technique, the least likely that you'll ever be able to use it."

With one note: Even a really simple movment can take over a decade to get right, take a Xing-I fist for example, so much going on in one simple quick movement. So dont always mistake simple for easy and quick to learn!

Regards,
Gary

MightyB
09-13-2002, 10:48 AM
Doing different styles of Kung fu to develop different aspects of your own interpretation of martial arts would qualify you as a MMA practitioner.

I'd hate to sound like Bruce Lee, but it's about developing the attributes, not the art.

gazza99
09-13-2002, 10:53 AM
I humbely withdraw my objection to your point as doing even a different style of kung-fu in the same category Taijiquan-Xing-I-Bagua Mix. I have learned much more about each one from the other.

regards,

Gary

KC Elbows
09-13-2002, 10:58 AM
I've always kind of figured that overly complex moves are just more fun ways to kill people who are already beaten.

And while I've heard of black belts getting beaten, most of the instances involved people with unrealistic training methods. I don't think training is pointless, I think good training can make a difference in one's chances in a straight up fight.

However, I liked your post, and so am only mildly offended by your hatred of pajamas, which I happen to feel are great for sleeping in, and very comfortable.

In fact, I'd go so far as to say that if I could wear pajamas all day, I would.

Xebsball
09-13-2002, 11:22 AM
First: there is no real fighter who isn't a MMA. You have to be MMA if you want to win in the ring, or survive on the street.

WRONG

Third: Being a martial artist doesn't make you special. It doesn't even have much of an effect on how good of a fighter you are.

WRONG

Fourth: If there is such a thing as enlightenment, it won't come to people who are seeking it.

WRONG AGAIN

Martial Arrogance is bad whether you get it through practicing meditation or fighting.

RIGHT

ewallace
09-13-2002, 11:24 AM
Well, Xebs is definitely going to win the KFO award for most insightful post of the year.

Subitai
09-13-2002, 12:27 PM
MightyB,

You kinda made a blanket statement. San Shou is a ring sport. Just cause you trained KF for 9 yrs doesn't prepare you for San Shou unless that's how you train.

FIght psycosis or your mental preparedness is also another big factor. You had time to dwell on the fact your going into the ring with someone else.
In another instance, if you were to be dropped in... all of the sudden with no warning, you may have the benefit of fighting from your pure Subconcious. In that state you always fight true to what your Real skill level is.

I don't need to site my own experiences. But a friend of mine was attacked by four muggers in Amsterdam recently. He put two of them down and beat his way clear past the other two guys before they knew what hit em. It happened to him so fast that he was just going on pure instinct. Only after did he get the ardrenaline rush and the shakes. And he has only been serious about his Kung Fu for a couple of years.

When it works for real honest people in normal everyday life. That's what matters to me.

"O"

ewallace
09-13-2002, 12:32 PM
Round and round we go...huh?
Round and round we go...what?

Round and round we go...huh?
Round and round we go...what?

Former castleva
09-13-2002, 12:36 PM
"First: there is no real fighter who isn't a MMA. You have to be MMA if you want to win in the ring, or survive on the street.
"
Donīt know about the ring but I think you rushed this second statement,donīt you think?
Thatīs quite a generalisation.
BTW,not to start a flame war,just my view.

"Second: the more complex the technique, the least likely that you'll ever be able to use it."
Thatīs probably at least part right.
Cheers for that.

MightyB
09-13-2002, 01:23 PM
Losing the San Shou match was no big deal and wasn't the big part of the learning experience. I fought well for a purist mainly because I have a great Sifu. The big learning was just being in the ring. It was a tremendous experience to be able to go against another well trained kung fu guy in a semi controlled let's-lay-it-all-on-the-line kind've way. Doing that is exactly what I needed to remotivate me in my kung fu practice. Now I look forward to a San Shou match like a kid looks forward to Christmas.

Fighting full out against a skilled opponent is the best way to assess yourself. Win or Lose you walk away knowing more about yourself and more about martial arts in general. You learn the true meaning of kung fu which is "hard work". If you want to excel, you work harder at kung fu than ever.

I think that everyone on this forum should participate in at least one San Shou match. Win or Lose, it'll learn you something.

"For he who sheds his blood with me today shall be my brother."
Shakespear

The B

KC Elbows
09-13-2002, 01:52 PM
I'm still waiting for a formal retraction of your mean spirited statements about pajamas. You have no idea how humiliating it is to get your ass kicked by a guy in plaid flannels with a butt flap.

Dreadnaught
09-13-2002, 02:29 PM
Fourth: If there is such a thing as enlightenment, it won't come to people who are seeking it.

Does it just happen to anyone at random?

{i^(
09-13-2002, 05:01 PM
"YOU may already be enlightened!"- Publisher's Clearinghouse

Great post, MightyB. No arguments! This'll be a short-lived thread, you betcha.

Mutant
09-14-2002, 12:17 PM
Great Post MightyB!

I can appreciate what you are saying and agree with you. I think your insight on what you brought away from the experience and how it relates to overall training and growth as a martial artist is great.

And believe me, I really can empathize about losing a san shou match, the experience, and the great motivation and training inspiration it can provide. In fact, I don't know of any good san shou fighters who have not ever lost before (even the ones with the great fight records), it is all part of the experience.

Have fun training!