PDA

View Full Version : Choy Lee Fut Terminology

Yuen
09-28-2001, 02:05 PM
Does anyone know any website with Choy Lee Fut terminology? For example stance and kick names. It would be useful to know how to spell everything correct. Thanks in advance.

Fu-Pow
09-28-2001, 10:52 PM
Good luck....everybody calls things differently. And often the translation to English is really bad. If you really wanted to know what the move meant you'd have to look up the characters. I started doing that at chinalanguage.com, but it got really tiring. Anyways, here's a few translations.

Diu Ma=Hanging Horse (aka cat stance)

Sei Ping Ma=Four Level Horse
(aka Horse stance with your fists on the hips)

Gong Ma=Bow Horse (aka Bow Stance)

Jun Ma=Forward Horse (aka forward step)

Toi Ma=Back Horse (aka back step)

Wai Ma=Broken Horse (aka kneeling horse)

Kau Ma=Twist Horse (aka dragon stance)

Kailin Bo= Unicorn Step

Bam Bo= Half Step

Gerk=Kick

Chap Chuei (or Choy)= Stabbing Hammer

Poon Kiu= Coiling Bridge

Cham Kiu= Sink Bridge

Kum Jeung= Cover Palm

Yum Jeung= Down Palm

Pow Jeung=Throw Palm

Chun La (or Na) =Block-Grab

Gwa Cheui = Hanging Hammer

Chin-Ji Choy = 1000 Character Hammer

and so on and so on.......

Fu-Pow
http://www.makskungfu.com/images/Graphics/Choy%20Lay%20Fut%20red.gif

eviljungle
10-02-2001, 05:30 PM
I'm confused about something I keep hearing about CLF. I don't know much about the art or its techniques, so forgive me if my questions seem stupid.

The hand techniques and punches have been described as loose and circular until impact. Are these like hooking punches?

yik-wah-tik
10-02-2001, 06:13 PM
well,

i will try to answer the question as simply as possible. no, they are not like hooking punches.
hooking punches uses the flat part of the fist, while the sow choy can either use the wrist/forearm part for the technique, while the cup choy uses the the middle row of knuckles to come crashing down on your opponents body. notice how i use body, not just the head.

these techniques should not be thrown in any type of stiff manner. therefore, the usage of rock at the end of the rope. the technique should be done as loose as possible, with a little stiffness at the elbow so as not to break your own arm.

very good techniques, i once heard a clf master hit someone with a sow choy and broke his neck with that single blow.

frank

"graceful staff flies above like a dragon wiggling it's tail-strong fist releases out like a tiger raising its head"

eviljungle
10-02-2001, 06:38 PM
Awesome. Thanks. :D