PDA

View Full Version : serious and silly question, all in one

Chang Style Novice
09-15-2002, 06:24 PM
You know how dogs often have a 'magic spot' where if you scratch 'em their hind leg shakes uncontrollably? Basically, what I think happens is you repeatedly poke a nerve that triggers a reflex muscle action, right? Well, that sounds like it might be related to dim mak/acupuncture/etc. to me, and I got to wondering if there are corresponding points on humans. And if so, could you train to attack such a spot and give your opponent spasms in a similar way? A curious complication to this is the fact I've noticed different dogs have (sometimes very) different 'magic spots' to start up that leg action. Would pressure points and meridians and such on humans be similarly variable?

No, I haven't been smoking anything, I swear!

Chang Style Novice
09-16-2002, 01:08 AM
Oh, come on. It's not THAT stupid a question, is it?

GunnedDownAtrocity
09-16-2002, 01:35 AM
dolphins are pretty smart, but dogs still make better pets cause we don't live in the ocean.

NafAnal
09-16-2002, 06:58 AM
cats are smarter. They choose not to show it.

neptunesfall
09-16-2002, 07:02 AM
i think it's their response to being ticklish?
like when somone gently runs their fingers down your back and you shudder?
they make much better pets than sparring partners though.

CSN - i have the pic i promised...just having troubles with the PC. %^*&%*% zip drive.

GreyMystik
09-16-2002, 07:17 AM
i actually knew a guy who said he would only spar with animals because he had 'transcended' sparring with humans. :D

of course this is the same guy who said everything was shaolin. TKD is "korean shaolin". :rolleyes:

oh and bjj, well... of course it's just "brazilian shaolin" too ;)
and aikido is an art for assassins. :p

neptunesfall
09-16-2002, 07:20 AM
what a weirdo.

Chang Style Novice
09-16-2002, 07:51 AM
Dogs shake their legs rather than giggling? I guess that makes sense, kinda.

Any of you grapplers out there successfully tickle your way out of a bad situation?

Yes, I know this is a weird line of questioning, but I'm NOT joking.

The Willow Sword
09-16-2002, 08:37 AM
when ever i play with him he snorts,,they say that this is them laughing. its really funny cute and gross all at the same time.

you ever step on a c0ckle burr? i mean this little pricly thing no bigger than a very small pebble will down even the largest of person. the bottom of the foot seems to be the most sensitive of areas AND having the most sensitive meridian points. i had a treatment once where a point in my foot was tapped and my face twitched and my arm spazed out a bit. was quick but certainly got my attention.
MRTWS

Former castleva
09-16-2002, 08:54 AM
Some have said that cats would be as smart,and they are intelligent in their own way but when it comes to people with knowledge in their hands it comes out that dogs beat all kinds of cats in those resources.
We have tons of evidence on how "dog did this,dog did that,saved a life,just for the tap on the back..."
Poetry...
:)

When it comes to your question,that thing is known among dog owners but I don´t know much scientifical explanation for that (just because I don´t know does not mean that there would not be any for it is a simple thing I think)
TCM (mostly acupuncture I think) is used on dogs along with various other less usual treatments,dogs have their meridians just as we have.
Pressure point attacks do have many different effects.
There are point(s) and nerve(s) at legs which may cause the leg to cramp,go in pain and completely "malfunction".
If that´s what you´re looking for,and we´re just minorly talking about legs.

Chang Style Novice
09-16-2002, 09:08 AM
Castlevania

What I'm really trying to get at is whether relatively gentle contact, like scratching or tickling can be used to provoke involutary reactions in an opponent, so yeah, leg shakes are just an example (brought to mind because I'm petsitting a couple of critters right now.)

I don't expect any "Kiss of the Dragon" type killing blows from pin*****s, just wondering if there are any less-than-completely-obvious ways to exploit things like this in a martial setting. I mentioned on another thread the way that judoka set up a rear choke by jabbing a knuckle into a sensitive part of the neck to force the head to turn; that's pretty straightforward. So, supposing your in someone's guard - could you knock on their knees to get the classic 'twitch' reflex and maybe use that to pass? Stuff like that.

And yes, I know there are probably better, more reliable ways to pass gaurd in just about any circumstance. I'm just thinking out loud here.

Former castleva
09-16-2002, 09:32 AM
"you ever step on a c0ckle burr? i mean this little pricly thing no bigger than a very small pebble will down even the largest of person. the bottom of the foot seems to be the most sensitive of areas AND having the most sensitive meridian points. i had a treatment once where a point in my foot was tapped and my face twitched and my arm spazed out a bit. was quick but certainly got my attention.
MRTWS"

Saying that bottom of foot has the most sensitive points is quite a big generalisation but at least "bubbling well" point (kidney meridian) under ball of foot,at the center of bottom of foot.
It is the most sensitive point of the foot,I wonder if you got touched somewhere in there.

" Castlevania

What I'm really trying to get at is whether relatively gentle contact, like scratching or tickling can be used to provoke involutary reactions in an opponent, so yeah, leg shakes are just an example (brought to mind because I'm petsitting a couple of critters right now.)

I don't expect any "Kiss of the Dragon" type killing blows from pin*****s, just wondering if there are any less-than-completely-obvious ways to exploit things like this in a martial setting. I mentioned on another thread the way that judoka set up a rear choke by jabbing a knuckle into a sensitive part of the neck to force the head to turn; that's pretty straightforward. So, supposing your in someone's guard - could you knock on their knees to get the classic 'twitch' reflex and maybe use that to pass? Stuff like that."

I´m not very familiar with this type of stuff,but I believe it is there.
I do have a reason to believe that such stuff may not be viewed as as interesting compared to countless harming blows etc.
But methods like that are used in cases like as to loosen opponent´s grip of you,making him let go,open his fist,throw his arm down and paralyse it temporarily,or a similar technique which also takes care of the other arm etc.
Then there are techniques in combination strikes where one uses certain pp strike to say a leg for an example,which then naturally opens up the head,then you go for that.
Here´s one example which comes from aikijujutsu and ninjutsu:
Say someone grabs your wrist or handshakes you not letting you go.
You take your free hand and place the edge of your thumbnail firmly on the base (?cuticle? spelling) of your opponents thumbnail right between skin and nail (his controlling hand)
Press sharply with force,this will cause extreme pain at best and will make him pull his hand back.
Is this what you are after?

BTW,I think they cover this kind of strategy up in san soo kung-fu.

CD Lee
09-16-2002, 09:35 AM
I'll have to kill you after telling you this...but here goes. Take your knuckles, like phoenix eye, and put it under your partners arms on the the upper rib cage, between the pecs, and lats, on the ribs. Close to his armpit, even the armpit works. Dig in with your knuckles raking them up and down and apply a little pressure. See who among the men can stand there without a serious reaction. Make sure you rake over the ribs and apply inward pressure. Let me know what happens.

BTW...cats are smarter, they don't let us know how smart they are, so we will leave them the heck alone!

Chang Style Novice
09-16-2002, 09:48 AM
Thanks guys! That's exactly the sort of thing I was looking for.

Sounds to me like BJJ and wrestling and such have 'dim mak' or at least pressure points in their repetoire, and that's really what I was getting at. This stuff is not so weird and exotic, if you think about it instead of getting your info from old Chang Cheh and Five Venoms movies.

Former castleva
09-16-2002, 10:00 AM
"Sounds to me like BJJ and wrestling and such have 'dim mak' or at least pressure points in their repetoire, and that's really what I was getting at. This stuff is not so weird and exotic, if you think about it instead of getting your info from old Chang Cheh and Five Venoms movies."

Yes,it is not that exotic.But it is more of a high level thing.
This is why we still don´t ram it into everyone´s faces.

"BTW...cats are smarter, they don't let us know how smart they are, so we will leave them the heck alone!"

Neither do my hamsters (well actually they do! :) )
No need to assume a defense position,I´m not to start an argument.
I actually like cats.
Respects,

Chang Style Novice
09-18-2002, 05:46 PM
...and just think, if you can get an opponent's limb to twitch like a dawg's hind leg, you could literally make him tap out!