PDA

View Full Version : William Cheung on Aussie TV today

anton
09-16-2002, 05:40 AM
There was a story about William Cheung on "A Current Affair" today. Apparently some Hollywood types are considering making a movie based on his life. In the show he was referred to several times as "Bruce Lee's master" and "the master's master". I don't know much about him, but what exactly is his connection to Bruce Lee?

Ryu
09-16-2002, 06:27 AM
He trained with Bruce's teacher, Yip Man, and was Bruce's "senior." Definitely NOT Bruce's "master.":rolleyes: It's terrible the way they ride on his coattails to get success. Bruce's friend "Unicorn" did the same thing..... really ****ed Bruce off.

Will the movie show the "master's master" getting pummeled by Emin Boztepe?

Ryu

Frank Exchange
09-16-2002, 07:19 AM
There is supposed to be a movie in the works about the life of Yip Man, who was Bruce's real master.

I expect some wires have got crossed along the ways. It would be very foolish for Mr. Cheung to claim to be Bruce's master, when so many know otherwise, so I think this is unlikely.

Fish of Fury
09-16-2002, 08:36 AM
well, to be fair William Cheung did say in the interview that he was Bruces senior, not his Master.
still, the guy does seem to have lost a lot of fights in his day...

Former castleva
09-16-2002, 09:35 AM
It was actually Yip Man who was Bruce´s master.

PHILBERT
09-16-2002, 04:01 PM
Stories have come about that Cheung got Bruce interested into Wing Chun by teaching him *some* stuff, then Yip Man accepting him. How true this is, I dont know. It may have some truth, because Bruce and Cheung are so close together in age (I think Cheung was born in 1940 like Bruce), so might of gone to school together? I purchased a video off Amazon.com by Wong Shun Leung and at the beginning of the video they said he was Bruce's teacher too. Perhaps it was a mishap by the publishers when WSL said "I trained with Bruce." and they removed the "with". Same with Cheung? Who knows.

But yeah, Yip Man is credited as Bruce's main teacher.

TaoBoy
09-16-2002, 04:21 PM
I read two articles in the most recent Blitz magazine (here in Australia).

One was talking about the making of a movie about William Cheung's life:

Hollywood heavyweights Mark and Paul Brown were recently in Melbourne doing extensive research for a new movie on the life of Bruce Lee and his friend Grandmaster William Cheung.

Goes on to say that those two Hollywood guys did work on Abyss, T2 and Spiderman amongst other movies. And that Cheung taught Lee and introduced him to Yip Man.

The other was about Wong Shun Leung's Wing Tsun:

...Wong sifu was the late Bruce Lee's most influential instructor prior to his departure to fame and glory in the United States.

Looks like everyone trained Bruce. :)

joedoe
09-16-2002, 05:04 PM
I got sick of all the BS about halfway through that story. I am sure the media got it wrong (like they always seem to) and hyped it up for the story.

One thing I never understood about the 1-inch puch demos - why do they have to put a chair behind the dude holding the phone book?

Serpent
09-16-2002, 05:12 PM
To make sure he falls over. Otherwise he'd just step back and the demo would be kinda lame.

joedoe
09-16-2002, 05:43 PM
Originally posted by Serpent
To make sure he falls over. Otherwise he'd just step back and the demo would be kinda lame.

I feared that was the answer. Kinda lame really.

LEGEND
09-16-2002, 06:08 PM
Bruce knew William Cheung from his HK skool days. He was intro. to WING CHUN by William and enrolled. Yip Man was the Master...Wong Shun Leung( the best HK fighter wing chun wise )...William Cheung( his org. will say he was the best fighter in the world period! LOL ) were his SENIORs. Hawkin Cheung( William's younger cousin ) and Bruce were the same age and train together behind those 2 to get the TOP DOG status! When Bruce went to America...he encounter WHOAAAA...the bigger and stronger americans...in interview with Hawkin Cheung he said...dood they big in USA...so I have to hit first or I die! From the USA he trained with JUDO GENE LEBELL, CHUCK NORRIS, JOE LEWIS, MIKE STONE, JHOON RHEE, ED PARKER, HAYWARD NAKASHI, WALLY JAY ETC...
It's very wierd in ASIAN CULTURE that by showing u something=teaching u something=me( da master ) and u( da student )...messed up eh???

anton
09-16-2002, 06:19 PM
Originally posted by LEGEND
It's very wierd in ASIAN CULTURE that by showing u something=teaching u something=me( da master ) and u( da student )...messed up eh???

Well... thats not always true... unless you were being sarcastic in which case I laugh in agreement.

Fish of Fury
09-16-2002, 06:32 PM
well, I've got this great demo where I bash some clown over the head with a chair and he trips over a phonebook...possibly into a carton of eggs...
do you think it'll catch on?

joedoe
09-16-2002, 08:15 PM
Originally posted by Fish of Fury
well, I've got this great demo where I bash some clown over the head with a chair and he trips over a phonebook...possibly into a carton of eggs...

You should hit him with the eggs, shove the phonebook up the proverbial, and .. I dunno what you can do with the chair. :D

Serpent
09-16-2002, 08:37 PM

I've missed you, Fish! ;)

I think that would definitely catch on.

joedoe
09-16-2002, 11:48 PM
Are you going to jump him from behind and wrestle badly with him? :D

Seriously, that is pretty cool.

Serpent
09-16-2002, 11:55 PM
Originally posted by Danny Sainty
Speaking of William Cheung he is coming over to my place for dinner on Friday..

Why?

Fish of Fury
09-16-2002, 11:58 PM
cos he's busy on Thursday

anton
09-17-2002, 12:38 AM

Yes I loved how when demonstrating the one inch punch on the journalist, William had an overturned chair strategically positioned behind the guy, so he'd stumble back and trip over it each time... what a classic.

Frank Exchange
09-17-2002, 08:38 AM
Well, strictly speaking most of Bruce's training was under Wong Shun Leung, but I didn't want to complicate things. ;) Particularly as I am of the WSL lineage, and you know how WC people get about lineage....

Wong in fact taught many of Yip Man's classes towards the end of the Sifu Yip's life, and taught most of Bruce's private lessons. Wong was a contemporary and friend of William Cheung, they were both senior to Bruce.

An interesting article on WSL's friendship and impressions of BL is here:

http://www.wongvingtsun.co.uk/wslbl.htm

One of the few articles that shows the good with the bad of Bruce's character and attitude.

fiercest tiger
09-17-2002, 11:45 PM
Why is most 1 inch punch demos done with the guy standing with his feet together?

Well who knows what the real story is these days about bruce learning wing chun, maybe true maybe not. But doesnt deserve a movie to be made about it!

make one on me instead:)

FT

HI FISH AND JOEDOE:)

joedoe
09-17-2002, 11:56 PM
Hi FT, long time no hear. How have things been?

One of my training brothers went to one of Jim Fung's classes a few months ago and he got the 1-inch punch demo as well. He was told to hold a phone book (to protect him) and he was not allowed to use any of his stances to withstand the punch (again supposedly for his protection). Obviously he was pushed backwards and tripped.

Now I am not questioning the validity of the 1-inch punch, just the validity of the demo.

AdrianUK
09-18-2002, 04:11 AM
One inch punch demo

My first instructor demo'd without the phone book and let you brace, but he pulled the hit, the reason ? First time he demo'd it on someone they collapsed, came round ok, but later collapsed again, turned out to be a fractured sternum, massive insurance claim resulted.

Where am i going with this ? No idea really !

anton
09-18-2002, 04:46 AM
Originally posted by joedoe
Hi FT, long time no hear. How have things been?

One of my training brothers went to one of Jim Fung's classes a few months ago and he got the 1-inch punch demo as well. He was told to hold a phone book (to protect him) and he was not allowed to use any of his stances to withstand the punch (again supposedly for his protection). Obviously he was pushed backwards and tripped.

Now I am not questioning the validity of the 1-inch punch, just the validity of the demo.

I suppose it does make sense from a safety point of view. sure you can resist it with your stance, but that would make you absorb all of the force possibly resulting in injury. And Ithink generating enough energy with a one inch movement to push someone back significant distance with some velocity is pretty impressive in itself.

UltimateFighter
09-18-2002, 11:35 AM
Saying cheung was Bruce's master is a joke. Cheung is only famous because he was Bruce's friend. They should include the part where cheung got challenged by Boztepe and pioneered the technique of 'how to be a human wooden dummy' in the film as well.

fiercest tiger
09-18-2002, 03:35 PM
Im good mate, hows things with you and your sifu? YKM is performing the lion dance this weekend at hurstville and chinatown on sunday, the council wont let us do the jong in dixon street outside on the foot path, the f@ckers. lol scared some by standers will get hurt..lol what about us!?:) anyway this are well.

Say his to sifu david yip for me.:)

I had the one inch punch done by jim fung years ago, but i did a swallowing technique and it through him off and he slipped off the phone book and it knocked me back a step.

ADRIAN
Im sure anyone getting punched in the sternum would collapse, why would you do it on someone with out protective wear and hurt them?

FT :rolleyes:

Shaolin Master
09-18-2002, 11:35 PM
William ??? who, what does he do ??? ....he Wing Chun.....oh is that all.....what inch punch.......that again.....Bruce What??? oh the actor.........ic...telephones don't hit back :)

gees......tv is getting poor down in aus......hehe....

nah....just kidding.... its good that martial arts are being promoted even in the neverending inch punch manner :)

Shaolin Master
09-18-2002, 11:41 PM
[[[[I had the one inch punch done by jim fung years ago, but i did a swallowing technique and it through him off and he slipped off the phone book and it knocked me back a step. ]]]]

--> hehehe, imagine if you spat (did a spitting technique) it may have mained him :)

ged
09-19-2002, 04:49 AM
about the one-inch punch thing - Sifu demonstrates the same principle using his elbow on our shoulder, with us in a stance side-on to him. doesn't hurt, just knocks you back a few feet. seems safer than a fist to the chest.

Internal Boxer
09-19-2002, 05:29 AM
It is pretty easy to perfom the one inch punch with a couple of months of root connection training and silk reeling, I do it myself, but my point is because it is relatively easy to develop, why does he demonstrate this? Is this what you consider as high level kung-fu???? I suppose I am quite berwildered by it all given that anyone can do it with a little of the correct training. Any views?:confused: :confused: :confused:

Rolling Elbow
09-19-2002, 09:44 AM
Yeah chung was pretty brutal in that clip..totally dominated and pounded. I didn'st see any wing chun though..mostly greco roman on the clinch and throw, and then basic pinning and pounding fromt he mount. Nothing really impressive.

As for the one inch punch, why don't people ever just relax completely, take the hit and as they are moved backwards, relax into a heavy low stance. Bring your weight down and sink back. get rid of the **** chair behind you and you are going nowhere.

Having said that, I bet Cheung would give FT a run for his money! ;)

Turiyan
09-21-2002, 09:30 AM
Originally posted by anton
There was a story about William Cheung on "A Current Affair" today. Apparently some Hollywood types are considering making a movie based on his life. In the show he was referred to several times as "Bruce Lee's master" and "the master's master". I don't know much about him, but what exactly is his connection to Bruce Lee?

WC father was a police chief in hong kong or something.

You hear the story where he fought Mas Oyama for 8 hours to a draw? I guess he forgot to bring his cameraman. Or, he left the lenscap on.

Brithlor
11-10-2003, 03:00 AM
I don't understand the purpose of the chair during the one inch punch...

When my sifu did it to me (with me holding a focus mit) I went into a pretty deep stance but it felt like I was getting pulled backwards the whole time, so there was no way I could regain my balance before falling over... and I believe he said he was going easy on me...

My teacher learned from Cheung so I can only assume that Cheung's 1 inch punch is just as strong or stronger so the chair doesn't really seem to serve any purpose besides making it look like a trick...

Seems like they'd fall over anyway... except instead of falling instantly with a chair, it forces anyone trying to keep their balance to step backwards very quickly before falling over... looking more dramatic in the process :p.

S.Teebas
11-10-2003, 07:29 AM
I had the one inch punch done by jim fung years ago, but i did a swallowing technique and it through him off and he slipped off the phone book and it knocked me back a step.

Hi,

Im not a Jim Fung student, but I believe that WC uses the concept of controlling the COG (ie get the opponent totally and completly off balance) before applying the 'inch power'. The one inch punch demo assumes that control over the opponent has been attained; which is posibly the reason why the person was asked not to put on a stance.

This doesnt take anything away from FT's technique, as im sure he's very good. But i think the context of 'controlling the opponent' is stressed largely in WC.

Ray Pina
11-10-2003, 10:09 AM
"the guy does seem to have lost a lot of fights in his day..."

So what? If you fight you will lose, too. Sifu's, seniors, going out before you are ready ... all this leads to losing somewhere, somehow ... and learning.

On the other hand, regarding Bruce. When my master was very young and living in Hong Kong he trained with Yip Man while Lee was there. Said he was an a$$, would sit outside and tell folks the master was out, that class was canceled so he'd get him alone. My master was kicked out of the school for questioning too much.
I'm with Internal on the one-inch punch. It impressed me when I saw it in Black Belt magazine when I was 10 and couldn't fathom it. Now that I'm receiving proper training and can see, it's no big deal. Actually an inch is too much already.
Something about Emin doesn't sit right with me. What he did to Mr. Cheung was not right and he deserves the same someday. Does he ever do NYC seminars?