PDA

View Full Version : I visited a temple kung fu school...

MonkeySlap Too
09-16-2002, 02:00 PM
Here's what I experienced:

Nice layout of the reception area - funny pictures of OE Simon on a horse in Chinese pajamas holding a kwan-dao. Only surpassed by the office photo of this old German guy doing the jet li hand stand kick to some guys in costumes.

I was greeted by a friendly fellow who had me read a letter from the 'grandmaster'. It was nearly incomprehensible babble. I wish I could of had a copy. THese guys could learn from Oom Yung Doe on how to write better meaningless copy.

I was then told that Temple kung fu is the original kung fu. You see, originally there was karate (external) / TKD Kicking / Internal and Hapkido. All as one art. These four branches split off through specialization - but temple kung fu incorporates all of these. (oh, so THAT's what Ti, Da, Shuai, Na means...). It is after all, the original art.

I was also told that the introductory course was $128. Then there was no price list (which is illegal in most states, I'm not sure about Washington) but each program was personally developed for you and your needs, er pocketbook.

I was not allowed to watch a class - but I did see about ten minutes through the bay door - and it looked like karate to me.

So- first hand experience sets of a lot of flags - from the bogus history, to the karate being taught as kung fu. There appears to actually be smoke here.

Sorry guys, but if you are playing temple kung fu, you may want to look around a bit, because on first blush, I do not think this O.E. Simon guy has been completely honest...

Fen
09-16-2002, 02:08 PM
Please post this in Wen New Site too in the General Kung Fu at www.fu-ragz.com

KC Elbows
09-16-2002, 02:09 PM
So, did you sign up?

fa_jing
09-16-2002, 02:47 PM
Temple is teaching Kung Fu? Man, that John Chaney should stick to coaching basketball. I'm calling Bill Cosby and telling him to take off that stupid sweatshirt. And my parents want to return their college degrees. Chinese silk pj's my ass. ;)

KC Elbows
09-16-2002, 03:13 PM
BTW, Monkeyslap, the moo has been spending their off time using your handle.

Mind you, they haven't done anything intelligent with it.:rolleyes:

MonkeySlap Too
09-16-2002, 05:46 PM
eh, I'm busy with work and training right now. I'll get around to them 'off-line'. It was a great past-time when I was a teen-ager and only played Judo. The world is too small to tolerate those mooing crooks.

Skarbromantis
09-17-2002, 03:47 PM
Glad others can see whats going on!

African Tiger
09-17-2002, 03:53 PM
Tric K(ed) out of my Funds

Water Dragon
09-17-2002, 04:43 PM
Originally posted by MonkeySlap Too
eh, I'm busy with work and training right now. I'll get around to them 'off-line'. It was a great past-time when I was a teen-ager and only played Judo. The world is too small to tolerate those mooing crooks.

So is that still happening :D

rubthebuddha
09-17-2002, 11:40 PM
monkey slappage,

if you're talking washington state, i think you're right -- as far as i know, fees must be available upon request. sure you can hem and haw about it, but i don't believe you can legally NOT list fees for services, especially when they're inclusive of your continued business relationship.

seems tkf hasn't wisened up to fine print. most places put stuff in the fine print, but tkf just doesn't say anything at all.

and where the heck are you in this fine state of evergreenness anyway? i'm up in b'ham.