PDA

View Full Version : Last nights lesson on the mat

TaoBoy
09-16-2002, 04:11 PM
I took my first BJJ/Shootfighting class last night. It's a whole new world.

First lesson: little toes break easily when they get stuck in between mats.

Anyone else wanna share their first experience in a new school/martial art?

qeySuS
09-16-2002, 04:14 PM
after getting triangled for 30 minutes someone shared this secret with me:

"You either wanna keep both hands in or both hands out".

Made a world of difference :)

Water Dragon
09-16-2002, 05:00 PM
Originally posted by TaoBoy

I got matched up with the school's best fighting bluebelt. Tapped approximately 12 times in 5 minutes, including a few taps with my feet. Then I threw up about 25 minutes in. I LOVED it!!!

Martial Joe
09-16-2002, 05:47 PM
This is how all Kung Fu schools should train...hard as hell.

I love grappling.

LEGEND
09-16-2002, 06:01 PM
Get some wrestling shoes.

Ralek
09-16-2002, 06:01 PM
Kung fu guys get destroyed all the time by BJJ blue belts with only 6 to 12 months experience. But accepting that fact is the fist step in coming over to the BJJ side. BJJ people openly accept kung fu converts who are tired of wasting their time with the forms and coreographed one step sparring that defines kung fu.

Shoalin Tiger has come to to the BJJ side after our challenge match that was so bloody the police were actually called and a bicycle police man rode by. And SevenStar has also gone to the BJJ side after hearing of the epic battle between me and Saholin Tiger.

Ralek
09-16-2002, 06:11 PM
It's not that kung fu is not effective. It's just that it isn't a realistic method for defending yourself in a real fight. Coreography is not the way to train. YOu are better off joining ballet. You need realistic training methods to learn to fight such as sparring. There is no other way. There is no other way.

SevenStar
09-16-2002, 06:53 PM
ROFL!!! That's why I love ralek! As epic as your blood spilling battle with ST was, it had nothing to do with my training in bjj. I've been grappling for years, but only training with friends, not taking formal instruction 4 days a week like I do now. I just kind of played with it before, but recently decided to become more than just a "hobbyist" with it.

SevenStar
09-16-2002, 06:55 PM
Originally posted by TaoBoy
I took my first BJJ/Shootfighting class last night. It's a whole new world.

First lesson: little toes break easily when they get stuck in between mats.

it's definitely a different world. If you're at all like me, then be prepared to get frustrated VERY frequently as you continually get dominated on the mat until you get some techniques and experience under your belt.

TaoBoy
09-16-2002, 07:33 PM
Originally posted by SevenStar

it's definitely a different world. If you're at all like me, then be prepared to get frustrated VERY frequently as you continually get dominated on the mat until you get some techniques and experience under your belt.

I expect to get my @ss handed to me continually. I've been there before learning other MAs. The frustration will be offset by the fact that I'm learning something completely new.

Originally posted by LEGEND

Get some wrestling shoes.

Yeah, I think I will. CMA training tonight will be interesting - busted toe 'n all. :)

FYI - And I'm not ceasing my CMA training - I'm just adding to it.

Cheers ppl.

old jong
09-16-2002, 07:55 PM
Ralek stepped in with his usual rubbish! :mad:

Ralek
09-16-2002, 07:56 PM
Old Jong. The rubbish you speak of is truth. If you can't handle it then go back to praciting your forms.

TaoBoy
09-16-2002, 08:17 PM
Originally posted by Ralek
Old Jong. The rubbish you speak of is truth. If you can't handle it then go back to praciting your forms.

Okay Ralek - check your ego at the door - you're not representative of BJJers - think before replying.

Ralek
09-16-2002, 08:23 PM
I'm not a representative of BJJ? Last time I checked i am responsible for the conversion of Shaolin Tiger and literally hundreds of people on this forum who i converted by making them doubt kung fu by giving them kung fu's fighting record in real fights.

I do train.

Serpent
09-16-2002, 08:44 PM
You're a legend in your own mind, Ralek.

Taoboy, Jong, just let him be. Nobody takes him seriously any more. After all, even the police only sent some gimp on a bicycle! ;)

SevenStar
09-16-2002, 08:49 PM
literally hundreds? you should apply for a job at the National Inquirer

jon
09-17-2002, 02:03 AM
God darn it i love Ralek...
I always want to steal his quotes for my sig.

"I do train."
*Pure gold...

How is the Gracie cd-rom anyway? Those big men in the little shorts still turning you on?

I would fight with you ralek but i dont know how to defend a double leg takedown and i have no idea what a naked rear choke even is let alone how to escape one. I have also never seen 'the gaurd' or have the slightest clue of its use. The whole prospect of being given a 'rear mount' frankly scares me and being 'pinned' just sounds kind of suspect.

Ahh well back to my dancing:rolleyes:
I guess ill just have to do what ralek does and play my games and dream.
Hey Ralek in the Xbox version of UFC how the heck do i get sprawl? I cant seem to get the button combination right:eek:

Small disclaimer...
I actualy rather like BJJ and try and pick up bits off my friend who studys it whenever i can. Was a dig at Ralek not bjj.

TaoBoy
09-17-2002, 03:13 AM
Any chance this thread can be salvaged?

Helicopter
09-17-2002, 03:36 AM
Our school started its grappling programme on sunday, 4 hours worth just to give us the basic drills so that we can start incorporating them into our regular training.
**** good fun, completely knacking, and I came off worse in my match-ups.
I'm still f'ing sore and training again tonight.

P.s. How do get out of a choke where he's underneath and behind you (on the ground).

Former castleva
09-17-2002, 03:53 AM
*sigh*

Try interconnecting the mats.

Chang Style Novice
09-17-2002, 06:15 AM
Okay, Ralek, give us another laugh.

Where do you train?

Liokault
09-17-2002, 07:19 AM
Helicopter what is involved in your grappeling program and why was it not done before? Did you have to get some one in to do it or are you just wrestling and seeing what happens?

qeySuS
09-17-2002, 08:00 AM
You can get wrestling shoes if you want to, i have a pair but i never use it in BJJ. For one people go for leglocks on me a lot more (and get them a lot more), also it feels harder for me to squirm from back to guard (which feels oh so good when i'm barefooted).

fa_jing
09-17-2002, 08:09 AM
Originally posted by Helicopter

P.s. How do get out of a choke where he's underneath and behind you (on the ground). [/B]

Pretty much the worst possible place to find yourself. Try pushing your elbows into his thighs or just squirming for your life.

fa_jing
09-17-2002, 08:12 AM
Ground fighting is fun. Even to know the most basic things about it will make a huge difference. Still, to beat a skilled groundfighter on the ground would require a lot of training in a ground-oriented grappling art.

SanHeChuan
09-17-2002, 01:09 PM
I took BJJ from my college last semester from Clay Pittman, one of Carlos Muchados students. I don’t know if the muchados have a different belt system than the Gracie’s, But Pittman sure did. He had white, yellow, orange, green, blue, purple, red, brown, and black, with several stripes in-between. Supposedly pittman changed from karate to bjj after getting beaten by a small girl bjj yellow belt. I rolled with guys and galls up though green. I could beat people up though orange and hold my own with green as for the rest I don’t know. I only had one class a week for like 10 weeks vs. dudes who train regularly. While Pittman and I’m sure many of his advanced students could give me a royal a$$ whoopin on the mat, I just don’t buy low ranked students in bjj beating high ranked people from other styles.

ewallace
09-17-2002, 01:23 PM
It was proabably the ranking system, the fact that it was held at a college, as well as the caliber of fighters. I have heard many good things about Carlos' school up in Dallas so I am inclined to believe it may have had a lot to do with the class structure and not the actual style.

Ford Prefect
09-17-2002, 01:29 PM
San,

Were you in the kids class? :) j/k All BJJ schools rank the same because that's how the tourney's are divided up. The only time I've heard yellow, orange, and green belts mentioned (never w/stripes) are in the kiddy classes. I know Machado guys and Gracie Barra (where the machado's learned bjj) don't use that system. I don't know why this guy is.

TaoBoy
09-17-2002, 04:12 PM
Originally posted by Former castleva
*sigh*

Try interconnecting the mats.

They were interconnected - I think I managed to find the only gap with my little toe. And toes don't like it much when they are jammed between mats while some guy practices a takedown.

Aaah, the joys of the martial arts.

Originally posted by Chang Style Novice
Where do you train?

If that was directed at me - I've started at Dominance JJ - a school run by some brown & purple belts from John Will's school (JW is a Machado black belt). Nice bunch of guys.

Any other experiences to share ppl?

qeySuS
09-17-2002, 05:17 PM
once you have a strategy for almost all positions it gets a lot more fun IMO.

My favourite is the guard (being small and all) and if i get sidemounted/mounted i'll get haflguard and from tehre i'm pretty good at catching peoples back or getting back to guard, so even though it doesnt work nearly always, i always have a thing to do (i'm not just flapping about doing whatever to get out). IMO once you get there it's a lot more fun, i have a lot more to learn obviously but i at least have a basic thing to do from most positions now :) It's a nice feeling to know what to do even though you may not succeed (nice chaneg from flapping around like i was doing first).

MA fanatic
09-18-2002, 08:24 PM
I had many years of stand up training including Muay Thai. I had a humbling experience with a college wrestler who took me down at will. I can't even remember if I managed to hit him once or twice. If I did, it didn't stop him. He showed me take downs in exchange for stand up training. Finally I met up with a BJJ blue belt from the Gracie Academy in Torance. The guy didn't mind being taken down, he tapped me out at will. Actually, he didn't feel heavy or even all that strong up until seconds before my arm was about to break at the elbow. That's how I started. As for Kung Fu, it's a good art. But, while Kung Fu and some other artists practice their art in a controlled fashion, grapplers practice with 100 resistance. So when time comes to test skills, grapplers generally know where they stand. They train like they fight and fight like they train. That's what makes a world of difference.
MA fanatic

SevenStar
09-18-2002, 09:13 PM
Originally posted by Helicopter

P.s. How do get out of a choke where he's underneath and behind you (on the ground).

First, you gotta learn to relaz when you are getting chokes attempted on you. a mistake people tend to make at the beginning is forgetting about the tech they are trying and focusing on not getting choked, locked etc. when you feel the choke come on, try to tuck your chin and grab the choker's forearm. pull down on it and try to make space. As long as you have space and a tucked chin you are fairly safe. Now, you can try to free yourself and get a more advantageous position.

Helicopter
09-19-2002, 03:21 AM
I lost this thread for a bit.

Thanks SevenS. and Fajing I'll try those next time I get in that position (which hopefully won't be soon :) ).

Liokault.
The programme is pretty much what you see everywhere, controlling the head/neck, breaking the balance, penetration step, guards on the ground, arm-bar, toe-locks etc

We're a CMA school, but the grappling has long been apart of the curriculum, it just wasn't focused upon and generally reserved for the high grade students. Now there's move to integrate the techniques as a part of the main syllabus.

TaoBoy
09-22-2002, 04:38 PM
I showed my CMA instructor the take-down and mount that we practiced in the first BJJ class. He thought it was pretty cool. Then he showed me an equivilent take-down from our system - it was a lot nastier - both were very effective. Anyway when I had him on the ground - me in mount (which I dunno all that well) - he just twists and turns and all of a sudden I look like a pretzel. So, my CMA instructor has some ground skills to show me soon too. Should be good to compare principles form each style.

Class #2 in a few hours.
Can't wait.

TaoBoy
10-07-2002, 11:42 PM
Move it from the main board to "Other Related Arts"...:rolleyes:

ttt

SevenStar
10-08-2002, 10:30 AM
sounds like you are having a good time. kudos to both you and your sifu for being open minded and exchanging ideas the way that you are. have you picked up anything good these past few weeks?