PDA

View Full Version : How do you stop an opponent from disengaging?

fa_jing
09-17-2002, 08:50 AM
Picture this: You square off with your opponent. You rush in and nail him with two punches to the head. You're just about to finish him off when all of a sudden, he leaps backward. Assume he has good footwork and balance and knows how to disengage with a burst. In my experience, if you're of similar levels and you're concerned with defending his strikes, you won't catch it in time to stop him from disengaging. What do you all do to stop it? Is it not reasonable to think that even though you've hit him, you may not have broken his structure.

I am thinking that clipping his legs when he's on the way out is one option, also if your sensitivity and watchfulness is high enough, you might be able to keep up with him as he moves back? Definitely sparring will help you develop your options, since it is more in-and-out than real fighting.

fa_jing
09-17-2002, 09:20 AM
It is definitely worth mentioning the tactic of letting him going and trying to cut off his exit points - with the ropes in a ring, a wall in real life, etc. Also running after him. I'm more concerned with stopping him from getting away immediately.

Crimson Phoenix
09-17-2002, 09:23 AM
Let him disengage! Then just cross your arms, stand tall and straight, take a much scornful facial expression and go "hmmm...is that the best you can do?".
It's all in the drama, baby!

Water Dragon
09-17-2002, 09:43 AM
Liked the monkey footwork?

fa_jing
09-17-2002, 09:53 AM
WD - yes, and my teacher just showed us the JKD approach to disengagement last lesson. It's like the opposite of a forward burst, and does not compromise your balance.

Water Dragon
09-17-2002, 10:00 AM
COOL

Water Dragon
09-17-2002, 10:04 AM
Oh yeah, Whu not just follow them in with the same footwork?That'll probably freak 'em out. I know I wouldn't expect it.

apoweyn
09-17-2002, 10:06 AM
how about stepping on the foot?

fa_jing
09-17-2002, 12:38 PM
Originally posted by Water Dragon
Oh yeah, Whu not just follow them in with the same footwork?That'll probably freak 'em out. I know I wouldn't expect it.

Physically there's nothing to stop you from doing this. But I find that in practice, if you're not rushing at him i.e. being conservative, playing some defense, he can disengage pretty much at will, just by using the element of surprise. Look at boxing matches, disengagement occurs all of the time. OTOH, if you are dominating, you should expect the other guy to try to disengage and in that case, it won't take you by surprise and you can probably follow.

Good one Apoweyn.

apoweyn
09-17-2002, 12:47 PM
thanks fa jing.

of course, with the canoes on the ends of my legs, i can step on an opponent's feet just walking into the room.

i rule.

stuart b.

fa_jing
09-17-2002, 01:03 PM
The danger when you follow, if you have NOT disturbed his balance or structure, is that you might walk into something.

No_Know
09-17-2002, 01:04 PM
Stop punching long enough to step (with them). When they stop you strike.~

Punch them less hard so they think, not react. Keep it up. Close with your feet while punching.

I take it that you tend to strike when they are at the edges of the limits of your punches. Tsk tsk.

norther practitioner
09-17-2002, 01:06 PM
I usually go for the quick sweep or a kick that leads into them again, just to keep them busy. Just something keeping my foward momentum.

fa_jing
09-17-2002, 01:28 PM
Originally posted by No_Know

I take it that you tend to strike when they are at the edges of the limits of your punches. Tsk tsk.

Not really but occasionally I need to let up the pressure to look for an opening, duck/weave or whatever. In that brief moment they can disengage.

neptunesfall
09-17-2002, 02:04 PM
follow through with them, then through them.
follow through with trip or sweep as dictated by the momentum and angle.
move through them with hit(s).
yin and yang and all that blah blah

TaoBoy
09-17-2002, 04:25 PM
Kick the leading leg across the knee to unbalance you opponent - then get in and finish.

dnc101
09-17-2002, 05:44 PM
Penetrate and dominate. Occupy his space, check his knee hard enough to unballance him, tie up his feet. Trap something- arm or foot, whatever he gives you.

From the outside, move with him or try yo nail him as he leaves.

Bait him in, then capture his forward momentum. It's hard to go two directions at once.

Let him go, and you can run the other way.

Shadow Dragon
09-17-2002, 05:53 PM
If you are talking ring fight or sparring go with what has been said above.

If you are talking strreet fight, let him disengage you won, further follow up will establish you as the agressor.

Cheers.

{i^(
09-17-2002, 06:19 PM
Wait, wrong movie...

Throw your bowler hat at him!

LEGEND
09-17-2002, 08:49 PM
If it was a REAL FIGHT...I would keep pursuing till he step onto a train track where a train will run him over!!! I'm so smart!