PDA

View Full Version : CLF drills

Ross
10-04-2001, 12:38 AM
I have heard one contrast between hung ga and choy li fut was the way the two styles train. HG has few sets but does drills to expand on what is in the sets.....

Someone suggested that CLF had alot of sets instead of developing seperate drills. Is this perception completely wrong??

Training with the various jongs etc are other methods used in CLF but are there common 2 man drills? Does anyone know of any CLF 2 man drills to post about or could they point out a good website that has something posted already??

Thanks, R

yik-wah-tik
10-04-2001, 04:35 PM
there are many two man drills for a clf practitioner to do.

some examples are the "3" star blocks. 3 star blocks in motion.

windmill or wheel blocks-reverse and forward.

then i developed a 2 man drill that uses the techniques in cheung kuen.

but, these are just a few basic drills, of course later is the more advanced stuff.

frank

"graceful staff flies above like a dragon wiggling it's tail-strong fist releases out like a tiger raising its head"

yik-wah-tik
10-04-2001, 04:41 PM
in regards to the forms part of your question...

yes, choy lee fut has hella forms, but as in my school we de-emphasize forms and focus on the fighting aspects of our gung fu., it is not to say we don't practice our forms, we have to practice our forms before we start working on fighting techniques.

speaking for my school only, the students begin with learning the horses, basic punches, then 2 man drills-advancing/retreating//learning to use their horses.

this is done in our school before we teach them our first basic form.

frank

"graceful staff flies above like a dragon wiggling it's tail-strong fist releases out like a tiger raising its head"

Ross
10-05-2001, 12:20 AM
Thanks for the info Frank. I was wondering if there were drills that were more akin to continuous sticking hands. I have seen something like this in Hung ga but I wasn't sure whether the other long arm systems spent much time sticking using long arm techniques.

I guess this is where two man sets would come in as a method of training ........

Still any further info in this direction?????

R

yik-wah-tik
10-05-2001, 01:05 AM
yeah,

i developed a 2 mand hand drill that is continuous sticking to each other. it was based off a simple techinque our set called cheung kuen. it is a circular punch and block drill where the hands almost never separate.

there are a lot of these type of drills, but it would be hard to explain them here.

frank

iron_silk
10-05-2001, 07:03 AM
I have learned the seven star drill from my master and was wondering if the three star drill is a modified version or just different?

Thanks!

Kung Lek
10-05-2001, 07:20 PM
iron silk

3,5,7, and 9 star blocking drills both static stance and in motion all come from Shaolin training.

Most major families adopted the Shaolin training methods because most major families of martial arts have their origins in shaolin.

peace

Kung Lek

BearBear
02-26-2003, 04:17 AM
hey kung lek, and others

could u describe to me the 3,5,9, other? star exercises.. or the basic patterns of each one,.. how they variate them after the basic patetrn is learnt etc etc all information..

or the star exercises specidif to ur style

yutyeesam
02-26-2003, 07:40 AM
If you look at the NG Family's CLF syllabus, you'll see that starting from the green sash level there are a lot of drills.

http://www.ngfamilymartialarts.com/curriculum/choylayfut_syllabus.htm

You may want to get in contact with them directly to get more information about the drills. Some of the drills center around invading, evading, gate theory, and clearing/continuous. But I'd recommend to talk to them to get the full scoop on it.

Incidentally, some CLF schools in the Lee Koon Hung lineage put some emphasis on San Shou fighting/training, and do all the accompanying drills that go with that. But San Shou is a sport with a specified curriculum that isn't exclusive to CLF...but the CLF structure tends to transfer well in San Shou.

Just some thoughts.

Eddie
02-27-2003, 03:49 AM
im preparing for a pro sanshou fight in about 2 months time. Appart from the avarage running, skipping and bagwork (and 2 hours of other cardio / body building routines), I also spent time working on my forms. A particular form I like for san shou is the Tit Jin Kuen, as it contains some lethat combos for sanshou which I intend to do on the fight night. I now started to perform the form with gloves (mostly I train only with wraps), as well as my weighted vest and ankle weights, and to be honest, IMHO, one form is equal to 3 mins of bag work.

I found that forms training not only help with combos and cardio, but obviously it is also great for leg training etc.

Basics are what work in a ring. For me, CLF is a pretty simple (surface level) style which is not to difficult to learn.

I think what Sifu Frank said, "speaking for my school only, the students begin with learning the horses, basic punches, then 2 man drills-advancing/retreating//learning to use their horses....." makes allot of sence.

e

iron_silk
02-28-2003, 09:15 PM
wow BearBear you really go through all the posts impressive...

this was before I even registered on this forum.

Actually I need to make a correction...I apparently know 9 stars.

I don't know much of other systems but even most people teaching CLF and other styles that I observe does 3 stars

3 stars is basically conditioning the arms hitting inside part twice and the outside part once. (I am refering to the side of the forearms) The order of the hits is inside hitting low, then hitting inside up, and hitting outside low. (While in horse stance) then repeat with other arm.

People with more experience could probably correct me.

The other stars involve changing stances and movement (diu gerk ma ~ cat stance) biu jong ...etc.....bow stance and panter fist.....etc.........I really don't know my terminology actually