PDA

View Full Version : 5 aniaml chi kung

fiercest tiger
09-17-2002, 11:33 PM
Does anyone practise it here and what does it do for you internally?

what systems have it and are they all the same?

Cheers
FT

Nexus
09-18-2002, 12:46 AM
I have done what is called 5-animal play, although it may be different? It was a lot of fun, and could be done with two people. Very good for heart and lungs.

Shaolin Master
09-18-2002, 03:32 AM
The Dr. Hua Tuo Wu Qing Xi (5 Animal Play) is one of the classical Qigong methods imitating : Bear, Ape, Tiger, Crane & Monkey. It is practised by many qigong practitioners in China. In addition to the actual imitative motions coordinated with breath sounds and a myriad of things there is also standing postures. There are the Zang-Fu organs in Chinese medicine, the 5 Yin organs are each represented by an imitation.

Rarer still is our Hua Tuo Wu Qing Jian (5 Animal Play Sword) as well. This Qigong system is a stand alone and not necessarily attached to any style, It is highly involved and a fantastic method for Qi development as well as overall health of course. Reports of curing cancer and the like are common. Nowadays, it has become (ina abridged versions) a popular medical Qigong method.

In addition the original Shaolin 5 Fists, again quite old which was developed after the old Lohan Qigong (sometimes referred to as 18 Lohan hands), is another Qigong method which provided the basis for many of the animal methodologies of shaolin.

Regards,
Wu Chan Long

HuangKaiVun
09-18-2002, 05:39 PM
Ashida Kim's "Iron Body Ninja" features a version of Hua To's "5 Animal Play" as well as the "8-Section Brocade".

Both of these were used for health and meditative purposes. The stuff featured in that book was not dissonant with my traditional kung fu training.

I strongly recommend this book to anybody who wants to find more about 5-animal play.

Tainan Mantis
10-04-2003, 12:59 AM
My Taii teacher taught me 5 animal play which seems different from the ones outlined above.
This version has the 5 animals matching 5 moves of Chen Manching;s 37 movement Taiji.

Dragon-like peng, but walking.
Tiger-like an.
Bird(not crane)-like brush knee.
monkey-like repulse monkey.
Bear-like cloud hands.

Does this match anyone's experience?

Vapour
10-05-2003, 09:08 AM
Originally posted by HuangKaiVun
Ashida Kim's "Iron Body Ninja" features a version of Hua To's "5 Animal Play" as well as the "8-Section Brocade".

Both of these were used for health and meditative purposes. The stuff featured in that book was not dissonant with my traditional kung fu training.

I strongly recommend this book to anybody who wants to find more about 5-animal play.

My god, someone recommending to buy Ashida Kim's book.

PHILBERT
10-05-2003, 07:03 PM
I own a copy of Ashida Kim's Iron Body Ninja, and am tempted to burn it. You see, I don't like book burning but I am tempted to, for this book. It isn't even on my shelf of martial arts books, but rather on the floor behind the shelf because that's where it belongs. I'd get rid of it like sell it, but 1.) It is in mint condition and wouldn't get but a few $$ for it at a bookstore sellback and 2.) I don't want the ignorant to buy it, such was I when I did. I'd rather sell it to a Would-Be Ninja of his.

I don't recommend the book. Good fiction stories I suppose.

Tainan Mantis
10-05-2003, 08:02 PM
Thanks for the enlightening review of Mister Kim's book.
Although I have not tread the book I suspect I will not find an accurate representation of Huat Tuo's 5 Animal Play in a book about Ninja, iron body no less!

For those who have learned something about Hua Tuo's method I hope to hear your version of this.
Shaolin Master has given an interesting account which sadly differs from what I have seen.

Chen Manching's 37 movement Taichi is so popular in Taiwan, I thought there must be a few practitioners here.

Is there another forum just for them?

The Willow Sword
10-11-2003, 07:05 AM
Consisting of two aspects of the training. The live and moving aspect and the static stationary aspect.

Each animal focusing on a different aspect of the body AND channeling chi to different meridian points in the body.

Bear Crane Tiger Monkey Deer.

these are wonderful martial qiqong sets and usually taught in conjunction with some form of either qiqong meditation and healing and/or taichi.

i love these training sets expecially the bear and the deer.
bear focuses mainly on tan tien and rooting yourself as well as strenghthening the muscle tissue in the whole body, and has benefits for the lower back.

The Deer helps in your cultivation of wei kung meridian(tail bone) channelled to bai hui(top of the head) Deer also helps in the suppleness of the body.

TWS