PDA

View Full Version : HUNG TAO CHOY MEI

mysteri
10-04-2001, 06:44 AM
in the jow ga style, we often here that the style is described as "HUNG TAO CHOY MEI".. characteristically translated as: head of hung, tail of choy; with the patterns of the tiger and the leopard. what does that mean to you guys as jow ga practioners? this single description characterizes our fighting style.. jus curious..

In a fight you should never stick to principles; they should stick to you!

ShaolinTiger00
10-04-2001, 03:09 PM
Yes they are Jow Ga, Mysteri.

http://www.jowga.org/

ZhouJiaQuan
10-04-2001, 05:24 PM
Well off topic, im hoping to be in class saturday im coming home again this weekend.

But im not really educated in hung gar or choy gar(reall i know nothing of choy ga) but jow ga does defintely get alot from hung gar, i watched some forms and i can see the similarities easliy. as for choy ga never seen it and cant find any history on it or anything, i guess it kinda died off???. But i can easily see the similarties between us and hung gar, so im going with that the head of hung is farley accurate :)

peace,
Wally

"Everyone seems so clever and self-assured.
I alone appear unlearned and original,
insistent upon a different direction than other people pursue." -Lao Tzu

RENEGADE_MONK
10-04-2001, 08:12 PM
Hey,

like ST said they are, or better yet it is Jow Ga!!

Head of Hung- Hung gar' upper body techniques

Tail of Choy- Choy ga' quick moving footwork

mysteri
10-04-2001, 08:52 PM
but "with the patterns of the tiger and teh leopard.." what does the rest of this description mean to you?

p.s. that's great zhoujia! hope to see u saturday! i hope ur werkin on ur fa kune!

thekuntawman
10-12-2001, 06:56 AM
the story i heard about it, is hung tao choy mei is the name jow luung gave to his art when he was alive. he never had a school only his brothers and the soldiers he taught.

the jow ga we have today is from actually his brothers. if you are in america its from jow biu, to one guy, to chan man cheung, to sifu chin, to whatever teacher you are learning from.

i have seen one person who says his art is a combo of this and that kung fu, and hung tao choy mei. and guess what. his sijo was a red army soldier, but it was technique only, no form.

to me hung tao choy mei is only a name. the northern in our system is only four or five forms.

mysteri
10-14-2001, 02:23 AM
as always u bring somethin new and appreciated to the table.

fiercest tiger
10-14-2001, 04:18 AM
head of the tiger a$$ of the leopard! kewl :D

come & visit us!
http://home.iprimus.com.au/ykm
yaukungmun@hotmail.com

Buby
10-14-2001, 02:19 PM
:eek: :D