PDA

View Full Version : Bay Area Kung Fu

zen_celt
09-18-2002, 08:28 AM
This may seem like a silly question considering San Francisco's rep when it comes to Kung Fu, but where can I find good kung fu in the bay area? I'll be moving to Petaluma by the end of the month and I was wondering if anyone could give me some tips on where to find a good teacher. I know there's a lot in San Francisco proper, but what about the bay area like Petaluma etc? I'd love to be able to go into San Fran itself but I don't think it's feasible on a daily or semi-daily basis...but I could try.
Thank you in advance
-ZC

Arhat of Fury
09-18-2002, 11:05 AM
I know there is a good Choy lay fut school in Richmond as well as some northern shaolin school(wen wu) out there as well. Go to Yahoo and use the following

Kung Fu+Bay area,
Shaolin+Bay area or
Martial arts+ bay area.

Hope that helps

AOF

zen_celt
09-19-2002, 08:09 AM
Thanks Arhat. I looked at the CLF site and it seems pretty good, I'm not sure how far Richmond is from me but I'll check. I was told that distance wise, my best bets were Santa Rosa, Petaluma, Rohnert Park, and San Francisco itself. I've been checking the web and found some good stuff.
I know there's a LOT of Kung Fu in San Francisco, the trick is finding it. I'll keep checking the net, but if anyone out there happens to currently study in the area, or can direct me to some good teachers/schools, I'd much appreciate it.
Again, thank you
-ZC

ddh
09-19-2002, 02:55 PM
Wen Wu school is in El Cerrito. It's not far.:)

MonkeySlap Too
09-19-2002, 03:00 PM
I lived in Marin county for a while, but found nothing worthy of note in the county.

There is good kung fu to be found in the East Bay and in SF itself. PM me with your phone number and I'll give you a call, I'm relatively local.

zen_celt
09-19-2002, 08:09 PM
Thanks guys. I'll check on the Wen Wu school ddh.
Monkeyslaptoo- Thanks a lot. I'll PM you when I get into town. I should arrive on the 30th. I'll keep looking on the web but I'd like to get in touch with someone in the area who knows the scene so thank you. So far I've found a lot of CLF, Mantis, and TaiJi; all of which is good but there must be other styles and small schools or outdoor practicioners.
-ZC

kungfuyou
09-20-2002, 01:44 PM
Try this school locator:

http://www.dragonslist.com/schools/advancedsearch.php

I am originally from Santa Rosa, I know of a CLF School in Sonoma and a Mantis school there as well.

Sonoma Area Yellow Pages (http://yp110.superpages.com/listings.phtml?CID=7999EF231C2&AL=&C=Martial+Arts&T=Sonoma&STYPE=S&SRC=msn&S=CA&NA=&PM=00084100&LC=5&PI=1&MC=1&CB=&PP=)

Great area!! Have fun and I hope you enjoy it!!

PS...traffic SUCKS!! LOL

jmd161
09-21-2002, 02:06 PM
zen_celt,

Try Sifuabel here on the board.

He is Awesome trust me.He was my old Sifu Here in Miami,Fl i don't know if he's in the Bay Area? I know he's in Cali .

But if he's anywhere close make the trip.

jmd161:)

P.S. Hello Sifu if you read this post i just noticed you're on the boards here.:D

This is Jeff Clark.

SifuAbel
09-21-2002, 08:21 PM
Hi jeff,

I'm in southern cal now.

There is a place in belmont that teaches shaolin and wushu, as well as san shou and grappling.
Chinese wushu entertainment group, I think thats the name.