PDA

View Full Version : Help...find New school in Tampa

got got
09-18-2002, 10:04 AM
Hey anybody know a good 5 Family,or southern style school in Tampa. I'm moving there in a month, I'm currently a Choy Li fut student in San Diego.
And I was a 5 Family student in Los Angeles. Any good kungfu school would help......I'd like to continue to train....Thanx:p

LiLong
09-18-2002, 11:12 AM
Hey got got, I am a practitioner who lives in Tampa and I ,must say that the availbility of school in the Tampa area is very slim. As far as KF goes there are only about 4 or 5 depending in your interest. There are not any 5 animal style. There is a Wah Lum mantis school but this is a northern system of mantis that is mixed with Tan Tui. There is Jason Lau academy. These guys practice Wing Chun, but require you to wear army boots, army pants, a beret and they do wall scaling (kind of strange folks). There is Pong Lai and I believe they are a southern mantis schools; these guys are great fighters but charge 120.00 a month for instruction ( a bit much in opinion).There is sifu Norm Burland who teaches a variety of styles, including crane, Hung Gar and some shaolin but mostly focuses on internal styles as of lately (he teaches at parks and communities centers so the price is right, the name of his school is Cha Chee Yo). And last but not least there is the style I practice. We are a southern system called Southern Phoenix Fist. However it is not purely southern Phoenix. Over the generations there has a been a strong mix with Wing Chun, Hung Gar and Bai Mei (mostly for stances because Southern Phoenix Fist had no formal stances). We practiced pretty traditionally. We work in our sifu's backyard on a deck constructed by the students. There is no roof to protect you from the elements so cold, heat and rain may be part of your training regimen. We have about 10 to 15 students and are a tight group of friends, researchers and martial arts enthusiasts. Write me when you get to Tampa and I will make sure to take you around to all of the options I have described.

Cheers, :D

got got
09-18-2002, 11:33 AM
Hey LiLong

thanx for the info. I really appreciate the help....and I'll probably take you up on that. Your right though slim pickins, but believe it or not its the same over here in San Diego. I'd like though to check as many schools out as I can. Again thanx man

got got :)

Lice
09-18-2002, 11:47 AM
Where do you train in San Diego?

Just curious. :-)

got got
09-18-2002, 11:57 AM
The school is called White Dragon....and they teach Choy Li Fut. I'ts a great school, and I very sad to leave it . :(

Chad
09-18-2002, 02:22 PM
hello, mike saxon teaches futsan hung sing choy lee fut gung fu in central florida, you can reach him at jmsaxon@cfl.rr.com for more info.

hunt1
09-18-2002, 04:17 PM
GO to WWW.renegadeshaolin.com and ask on their message board.The folks there are aware of most of the martial arts teachers in the Tampa Bay area and I am sure you will get some guidence. There are some very fine kung-fu teachers across the bay. I think there may be a Choy Lee Fut school in St.Pete although it might be unadvertised.

got got
09-18-2002, 05:07 PM
Hey thanx Chad & Hunt 1

I will look those up .....I'm sure I 'll find a good school now:p