PDA

View Full Version : Lost Track Myjong Lohan

urban tea
09-19-2002, 09:46 AM
Who else in the US teaches the Lost Track MyJong Lohan style besides Raymond Wong in LA?

Also what's the difference between Myjong and Myjong Lohan?

I remember learning a Myjong set called "Big Battle Fist" and none of the moves were challenging in a physical aspect like cha kuen or wa kuen.

My sifu told me that Myjong Lohan is a style that has a more wa kuen/cha kuen feel.

Any thoughts?

NorthernShaolin
09-20-2002, 09:59 AM
urban tea,

A similar question about Mi Tsung was posted about 2 years ago which I answered but it seems it cannot be access anymore.

Urban tea, first lets start with the set that you learned, Big Battle. This set is one of five sets that are grouped together and are called the Shaolin Battle sets which is part of the NSL system and is not part of Mi Tsung style. These sets are very old and at one time the fighters were regarded very highly. The other sets are called Cross Battle, Loose Battle, Short Battle, Combination Battle and the fifth one escapes me for the moment…. Anyway Combination Battle is the most important because it is a sparring set with 72 arm locks. Now these sets were incorporated into the Jing Mo Schools by Chao Lin Ho, the Chief Instructor, after the founder, Huo Yuen Chia passed away. Chao Lin Ho was a master of Mi Tsung, Tam Tui and the Battle Sets.

Mi Tsung is a very old style that had originally 11 hand sets and about 10 weapon sets. Later in its history some sets of other style were added to their curriculum but maintain its identity such as the Battle sets. Mi Tsung translates as to mean Ancestor Style while Mi Tsung in Mi Tsung Lo Han means Lost Track Buddha Style which is a newer style that has been developed in the early 1930’s by GGM Yip Yee Ting who combined the two styles together. The style he combined was Sun Yu Fun’s NSL Lo Han which he learnt from his father, and Mi Tsung from Huo Tung Ko who is Huo Yuen Chia ‘s son. Yip Yee Ting wrote a book wih Pan Mao Ching in 1950 which is now a classic and a collector’s item called Mi Tsung Lo Han. GGM Yip passed away in 1962.

The flavor is somewhat like Wah and Ch’a styles as you mention but not as smooth and fluid. In my opinion it does not flow as smoothly as Kuo’s NSL, SYF’s NSLLH or Ch’a.style.

Mi Tsung sets are very fluid like NSL and Ch’a styles.

Who else teaches it besides Sifu Wong, Raymond in the USA are his classmates: Johnny Lee in Dallas area, Chi Hung Marr in North Carolina, Hilton Tom in Philadelphia Pa. Area. There are also Wing Kin Chao in Toronto Canada and Alex Kwok in Calgary Canada.

urban tea
09-23-2002, 02:17 AM
northern shaolin,

Thanks for your reply. Your information sounds familiar to what my sifu told me. Only a hand full of forms and nothing flashy at all makes up the style Five Battle Fist.

I watched a tape today of one of my sihings doing the set " Big Battle Fist" and I could appreciate it a little bit more than I did when I first learned it.

I hope to pay a visit to Raymond Wong someday when I find time to see what his style is like. I also have a book somewhere that's labeled " Myjong Lohan"

I'll try to dig it up sometime soon . What's your website again?

ThankS

NorthernShaolin
09-23-2002, 09:19 PM
urban tea,

The web-site is www.jingmo.org

monkey mind
09-30-2002, 05:55 PM
Douglas Williams teaches My-Jong Law-Horn in Seattle. I went and watched one of his classes and was generally impressed with him and his students. Check out the website if you're interested:

http://www.angelfire.com/in2/mzlh/class.html

urban tea
10-01-2002, 01:26 AM
monkey mind,

Thanks for the link! It's good to see that Raymond Wong has taught a few students to carry on the style. I will make it a point to call him whenever I'm in town.

Mizong_Kid
11-05-2002, 04:33 PM
i am learning from Master Lu Jun Hai.....for a 62 yr old he can stretch and moves fast!

so how long has everyone hear been learning mizong? do any of you spar in ur mizong classes?

thoough i am not a fan of sparing and i have been told that sparring is not as important as some say......