PDA

View Full Version : IF YOU HAD TO CHOOSE BETWEEN....

fiercest tiger
10-07-2001, 04:38 AM
If you had the choice to choose a wooden dummy form or a empty had form what would you pick, and why?

i would pick a wooden dummy set myself because of conditioning timing and distance!

KFO at this time is boring...cant you tell?

come & visit us!
http://home.iprimus.com.au/ykm
yaukungmun@hotmail.com

azwingchun
10-07-2001, 06:27 AM
I would choose the dummy, it is the closest thing to having a sparring/training partner. You can do all the empty hand moves on the dummy plus not to mention all the other benefits the dummy offers. ;)

tnwingtsun
10-07-2001, 08:33 AM
Dummy,for sure!

David
10-07-2001, 12:15 PM
Does it have motorised orifices? :D

The powers of Kung Fu never fail!
-- Hong Kong Phooey

iron thread
10-07-2001, 05:42 PM
I can't really answer this, but I can point out the benifits of both.

For the wooden dummy, it can help you practice accuracy, and a more fighting approach to training.

For the empty hand forms, however, it can condition your body, practice breathing patterns and develop chi( for some arts).

Kevin Barkman
10-07-2001, 10:18 PM
Empty hand can be practiced anywhere. Hard to find wooden dummy for specific training. Besides, anyone can figure out intelligent applications from empty hand forms to hit dummy...really just common sense.

meltdawn
10-07-2001, 11:29 PM
And then there's that whole People for the Ethical Treatment of Wooden Dummies organization...

"Waiting is bad." - Musashi
www.lungyingjingjung.com (http://www.lungyingjingjung.com)

Ross
10-07-2001, 11:42 PM
wooden dummy....empty hands....hmmm

Well the dummy might be really effective but isn't the **** thing awfully heavy to lift??

I'll stick with my BF knives any day ;')

(seriously...wooden dummy is an empty hand set unless you guys in YKM are doing something really different ;')

Don't take any wooden shillings =')

R :D

fiercest tiger
10-08-2001, 12:33 AM
R,

Does your dummy come with KY JELLY? HAHAHA

come & visit us!
yaukungmun@hotmail.com

Ross
10-08-2001, 12:44 AM
FT....

Is KY jelly required when you guys use it??

I thought you were supposed to "stick" to the thing......jelly would certainly make for a more difficult set!!!

;)

And you thought that all of us here in God's own country were all stuck up stickey wickets!

Cheers, R

fiercest tiger
10-08-2001, 01:22 AM
we use it as dit dar jow!:)

The wooden dummy has a few extra holes also! oops :p

come & visit us!
yaukungmun@hotmail.com

dunbarj01
10-08-2001, 02:25 AM
I think I'd go for the empty hand form over the dummy for the reasons that iron thread mentioned.

I think in the long run the form would benefit stance more and chi development.

R & FT,

Maybe you're too involved in your training. :)

"That would be me. I've been swimming in raw sewage...I love IT!" - Frank Drebbin, Police Squad.

fiercest tiger
10-08-2001, 03:14 AM
i also have a blow up dummy, her name is biotch!

very true about empty hand sets, but i was more for the fighting part, like conditioning and stuff. i should have explained properly :rolleyes:

i was bord when i was posting, i really like hand sets too, pecause of dim mak applications and power training. ykm has an iron body type form too!!

how's your training going? has abandit opened up yet? like to catch up for yum cha sometime?

give us an email if you would like to, ask fish and abandit too.

later

come & visit us!
yaukungmun@hotmail.com

feldor
10-08-2001, 04:05 PM
Seriously though, I think I would have to say the dummy AND empty hand. The dummy is invaluable to application training, conditioning and feel, but the empty hand forms are the best way to develop the internal and mental creativity. (i.e. moving opponent).

F.T. What's up ausman?! Still planning the trip to the states in April?

TNWingTsun. nice to see you "lurking" around man. Hope things are better!

Charles :D

honorisc
10-09-2001, 01:12 AM
Since there was no stipulation that you could learn the wooden dummy form with a wooden dummy, your question has those that chose the wooden dummy Form without the conditioning, and closest to sparring applications that they would want. The non-wooden dummy form comes with everything required~

"...but the empty hand forms are the best way to develop the internal and mental creativity. (i.e. moving opponent)."

Merely take down the heavybag, rig-up the wooden dummy (which wasn't given...). Then your wooden dummy form rivals the non-wooden dummy form in the aspect of feeling of an opponent...especially after someone gives it a shove, just before you start the wooden dummy form.

Very some such, perhaps might have been, likely say some, some not.

fiercest tiger
10-09-2001, 06:18 AM
feldor,

yes ill be in newyork next year to teach, maybe around may i think! ill keep ya posted, whats been happening with you, hows BFP and the TSD going?

chocolate flavour jelly, but you have to be in full uniform = crutchless undies..oh yeah! :eek:

come & visit us!
yaukungmun@hotmail.com

Shaolin
10-09-2001, 02:16 PM
I'd pick neither. You wanna learn to fight go pick a fight with the biggest guy you can find, if you win you stuff works, if not you suck and need more training. FEAR ME! :mad:

Pain is weakness leaving the body.

Ray
10-09-2001, 03:08 PM
I'll choose the doy dar set, you get the fighting feeling of the combat, you can doing with speed and power or in slow motion. In slow motion you can perfect your technique.

HuangKaiVun
10-09-2001, 05:32 PM
Depends.

In Wing Chun, I'd pick the Siu Lum Tao Set over the Mok Yan Jong set any day.

feldor
10-09-2001, 06:21 PM
Yes, let me know about the trip. Same ole thing here, work and training. BFP is going well, starting to learn the intricacies of the "scared". TSD is well too, should be testing again in Aug. of next year. Keep in Touch!
C :D

HuangKaiVun,

Could you elaborate as to why you would pick Siu Lum Tao. I am very interested in your views.

Charles

:)

sui-fuw
10-10-2001, 01:20 AM
what a load of cr@p.read know no thats the most intellegent post i've seen for awile and f.t i'm dumbfounded that you didn't understand?

just my thoughts though.

i hear you huang :)

dunbarj01
10-10-2001, 05:33 AM
Hey FT,

Yum Cha sounds great! I'll try and track the Fish and Arsebandit down and ask them to come along.

How did the lion dancing go in Chinatown? I wanted to come and see but didn't get the chance (bummer).

Cheers

"That would be me. I've been swimming in raw sewage...I love IT!" - Frank Drebbin, Police Squad.

fiercest tiger
10-10-2001, 07:47 AM
i was bord so i posted, yes know nows post makes sense but too many wooden dummy words in one sentance..lol try saying wooden dummy 10x fast!
good to see you are back and havent lost it!! hehehe just kidding buddy- hmmm maybe ;)

masta killa,
thanks for your post you are right about that, all the forms in the world wont help if you cannot use them.

fanx

come & visit us!
yaukungmun@hotmail.com

HuangKaiVun
10-10-2001, 02:20 PM
Because Siu Lum Tao contains the most essential basics of the style all in one easily practiceable set.

Even though there's no footwork or angle training, I feel that getting one's structure right leads to the natural development of such necessities - at least for ME.

I must also add the caveat that I practice other martial arts and thus my footwork is "accounted for".

WongFeHung
10-10-2001, 07:08 PM
you guys missed some crucial elements. first, the dummy teaches positioning,footwork, transitions, technique, conditioning, faht ging,and...hung jong-'empty dummy'-"perform the dummy without the dummy" becomes an empty hand set which then is discarded to become a free-form set,mixing up the sequencesand playing spontaneously. Some of the most viscious techniques are extracted from this set. I would chose the dummy set hands down. I am currently working on my new book, "Mook Yan Jong for Dummies" HAHAHAHA! oh, I kill me!

sifuchuck
10-12-2001, 12:34 AM
I still want to learn a wooden dummy set--but given a strict choice--which of course never happens, I'd choose a two-person sparring form. That way you not only get the benefit of learning new techniques and applications, but you get a chance to condition more than your body--your reflexes and timing get a workout as well.

Wait a minute--are we just talking about Wing Chun? And does Wing Chun even have two-person sparring forms? That would be too bad if you don't have that option. I love the two-person sparring forms that I've learned in Hung Ga-r.

chuck

fiercest tiger
10-12-2001, 07:38 AM
not just wing chun but any chinese art!

plus you may never have a partner for 2 man set, but i here you.

so just one or the other, empty hand or wooden dummy? :)

come & visit us!
yaukungmun@hotmail.com

Yum Cha
10-21-2001, 03:15 AM
What kind of wooden man FT? You once mentioned a Wing Chun style...was there also a Pak mei Style?

How about the rotating ones, versus the wall mounted ones. Sifu even talks about ones bolted to the ground on automobile springs, they can hit back! ;)

Sydney Guangzhou
Pak Mei

http://www.aaron.net.au/pak_mei

fiercest tiger
10-21-2001, 06:15 AM
The pak mei dummy isnt really the wing chun design, but i think most people use the wing chun dummy in there school, because half the people dont want to build one!

i'll hook up for yum cha this week, yum cha! ;)

come & visit us!
yaukungmun@hotmail.com

Yum Cha
10-21-2001, 08:01 AM
Thanks FT,
Yes, I'm going to take my father down for lunch this week, I'll call and let you know when.

Nice to be here, after a couple of weeks, they finally got my membership approved. I guess they did a backgound check. :D

Thanks for not telling the truth ;) LOL

fiercest tiger
10-21-2001, 02:47 PM
no problemo!

talk to ya soon my brother!

come & visit us!
yaukungmun@hotmail.com

sifuchuck
10-25-2001, 06:31 PM
No, I think I'm going to stay with my original choice. We catorgorize two-person sparring sets under "Weapons" or "Empty-Hands" so technically, an empty-hand two-person sparring set fits the original criteria that you introduced with this subject.

So I'm going with the two-person empty-hand sparring set over the wooden guy.

:D

Jeff Liboiron
10-26-2001, 06:41 AM
Empty hand form, because i have a wooden dummy, and i only know one empty handed form, SLT. :)

The object is not to hurt someone else, but to stop them from hurting you

fiercest tiger
10-26-2001, 01:42 PM
The only thing about an empty hand set is you cannot get timing, distance, conditioning, but as a form of exercise and concertration is beautiful.

come & visit us!
yaukungmun@hotmail.com

fiercest tiger
10-26-2001, 02:15 PM
the original question if you had to choose between and empty hand set or an wooden dummmy set, not a 2 amn empty man set!

just to let you know mate :D

i too would have picked a 2 man set if i wanted timing,distance, conditioning etc through a two man form any day... :)

come & visit us!
yaukungmun@hotmail.com

sui-fuw
10-27-2001, 01:31 AM
empty hand :D

sifuchuck
10-31-2001, 06:02 PM
Mate? You called me "Mate!" Here in the US that term is reserved for spouses--but I'll let it slide. ;)

So the original question was:
"If you had the choice to choose a wooden dummy form or a empty had form what would you pick, and why?"

So "a empty had (sic) form" is what you said. If you want to change it to "single person empty had form," then fine. But you didn't, so, nyah! Besides, (it's hard to type when you're laughing) you didn't say armless wooden dummy or legless wooden dummy or wooden dummy that spins or slides or stays put, or any other particular type of wooden dummy--so why place limitaions on the empty had set? Why not double wooden dummy form? After all, you need to be prepared--you never know when you might be attacked by two wooden dummies at once!

Chuck-mate

Buby
10-31-2001, 07:44 PM
It reminds me of Sui Fuw and Cloudy...Sorry fellas, but I too miss the name calling. :D

Sui Fuw - Plus I owe from the last time you got on me. :p :D And you know what I mean by got on me...so stop thinking nasty. LOL

These guys are sick I tell ya!

Buby

Yo Dogs ya bes chill
Cause I flip like sifu Gary and his Yau Kung Mun click, wit two kicks and three pheonix fists
Trust dukes
your gonna split from the ging running through the wrist.

WongFeHung
10-31-2001, 08:34 PM
wooden man hands down. One, conditioning, two,positioning,three, footwork, four, techniques galore,and five,and this is the clincher-anyone who knows the wooden man set knows the expression,"perform the jong without the jong"-meaning, do the set as an empty hand form and extract the techniques from it. Also mix up the sequences to expand and extrapolate on the techniques to develop endless combinations.

sui-fuw
11-01-2001, 03:14 AM
booby which do you prefer,my fury freind :D just kidding.do you teach if you don't mind if not its ok.
have you found anything to make yourself better than your si-fu yet? :D if so, what? :)
just joking f.t,i know this one is promising,hell he could turn out like you stubborn :D
catch you later buby

love and kisses s.w
xxxxxx

sui-fuw
11-01-2001, 03:21 AM
tt you say footwork,how odd,i didn't know wooden dummys can walk? :D :D :D :D
wow you have bags of inspiration,i think i'll put wheels on the legs on my manikin and mix 4,5,2,3 sets and hey presto i don't need anything else "i'm a master" :D :D :D :D

fiercest tiger
11-01-2001, 06:24 AM
im stubborn? **** it, where is your bridge? give me it, are you ready!!

buby hasnt learnt my hakka ging im still waiting to learn from my sui fuw :D i want to email you something but you havent got an email so i cannot.. why cant you get an email account or ill send it to your cloud one email address if you want?

punches and kicksxxx :p always yours FT

come & visit us!
yaukungmun@hotmail.com

CLOUD ONE
11-01-2001, 11:12 AM
F.T - your like a dog in heat wanting Sui Fuw's e-mail address. Don't you get it, you intimidate him
I think you are too fierce.
Good luck anyway!!!

sui-fuw
11-01-2001, 01:19 PM
yes you scare me f.t,your are 41 full moons away from me[give or take a moon]how can we be at one with each other,

the best way is to be submisive.if we had a fight[or you kicking my a$$]that would be another way.care to acomedate me?
"live for the battle my f.t"thats where the truth lies? :)

catch later bro :)

cloud,how come you know me so well?this scare's me too :confused: you haven't posted much is everything ok?
i miss hearing your philosophy as sometimes it helps me to go forward :)

fiercest tiger
11-01-2001, 01:19 PM
just give me the f@cking thing will ya! :D

come & visit us!
yaukungmun@hotmail.com

fiercest tiger
11-01-2001, 01:22 PM
i could never fight a brother hakka! care for a cup of tea and a bit of crumpet!! :D

hows the queen?

come & visit us!
yaukungmun@hotmail.com

sui-fuw
11-01-2001, 01:36 PM
queen :confused: would that make you the "king"?
try to be submisive :)

Buby
11-01-2001, 03:21 PM
"booby which do you prefer,my fury freind" - I can tell you've been practicing, your jokes are getting better. Now I have to watch out what I say cause your comebacks have been on point. It's just not fair I tell you!!! LOL

**** Sui, remind me to send you a razor or a pair of clippers. It sounds like your friend is in need of a hair cut. Please be sure to not cut off your little stub in the process. I don't want cloudy to come looking for me cause you chopped his lil. baby off. :D

"do you teach if you don't mind if not its ok." - Na buddy I don't. Actually I've just begun life long journey. Hopefully one of these days.

"have you found anything to make yourself better than your si-fu yet?" - I don't concern myself with being better than anyone, especially sifu. All I'm concerned with is becoming better than I was yesterday...And that goes for everything I do in life.

Sui before I leave, I heard your sucking(sinking..LOL)ging is off the hook.
:D Cloudy told me he loves it when you demo :D

Take care buddy!

Buby (Sui's my fury friend :D

Yo Dogs ya bes chill
Cause I flip like sifu Gary and his Yau Kung Mun click, wit two kicks and three pheonix fists
Trust dukes

CLOUD ONE
11-01-2001, 04:41 PM
Suc my d1ck!!!!

sui-fuw
11-01-2001, 05:20 PM
nice answers buby,my sucking ging? :confused: sorry don't get it

nah,say what is at will,i know your k.f is 2nd to none,i wish some-one told me earliar that you were from gwang dao,but then again its my fault i suppose?

catch you later[my fury freind] :)

oh,wich do you prefer empty hand or dummy?

sui-fuw
11-01-2001, 05:21 PM
cloud which do you prefer?

nice to see you in form bro :D :D :D

Buby
11-01-2001, 05:22 PM
I'm glad to see that I got a rise out of you. LOL

Suck your dick. LOL You know there are times I think to myself **** this guy is an @ssh0le, but no...now I'm convinced that your the whole @ss. :D

Go buy a chia-dick and water it, if it grows then maybe I'll have something to suck on, other than your shorty pu-nani. :D

Peace out dickless one!

Buby (I'm dickless ones buddy :D )

Yo Dogs ya bes chill
Trust dukes

Buby
11-01-2001, 05:39 PM
Sui - I gotta agree with ya...It's nice to see cloudy in his old form. You guys were beginning to concern me, I though I was losing my touch. LOL

Actually I haven't learned the dummy yet, so I really couldn't say. Like I said, I'm just a beginner so forgive for being unable to answer your question.

"i wish some-one told me earliar that you were from gwang dao,but then again its my fault i suppose?" - Your fault? Why would you say that? Why do you wish you knew earlier? If you don't mind me asking these questions.

Buby

Yo Dogs ya bes chill
Trust dukes

sui-fuw
11-02-2001, 04:42 AM
buby,becuase i assumed you were cantonese pak-mei pretending to be another lineage.also i was told by an uncle 2 things
1.not to be above the gwang dao styles of pak-mei.
2.never to look down on chu ga
and since he told me i'm gonna try to do it :)

p.s i'm i getting boring or what? :confused:

Buby
11-04-2001, 03:33 PM
I feel were your coming from.

If you don't mind me asking...Where did you do your formal training? In Mainland China? Hong Kong? or else where? By training I'm asking about your past training...early baby sui fuw years.LOL

I know you like to keep your where abouts on the hush (secretive) and I respect that, so if you could tell me about your past training it would be most appreciated. If not then thats cool, I'm sure you have your reasons for not sharing.

Boring? Na, I actually think your ok!!! A lil. crazy, but ain't we all. LOL

Take care,

Bub

Yo Dogs ya bes chill
Trust dukes

Ginger Fist
11-05-2001, 02:09 AM
susie-foo says --- also i was told by an uncle 2 things
1.not to be above the gwang dao styles of pak-mei.
2.never to look down on chu ga
and since he told me i'm gonna try to do it

2 bad ur uncle didn't tell u to not be a p)ussy hakka boy and not 2 lie all the time. ur not able 2 look down on anything or any 1 as u are always looking up. up ur a*ss that is :)

p.s i'm i getting boring or what?

not boring, just more stupid. can't answer the ? of what schools u shut down can u susie-foo? truth of it is u've never done anything save 4
lie ;)