PDA

View Full Version : And yet another self-protection situation

Ryu
09-21-2002, 11:00 PM
Someone once commented that the name of this forum should be "weird things that happen to Ryu and his friends"....

Well can't say I disagree. Once again I was involved in a situation tonight. This time it happened to a Japanese co-worker I used to work with just recently. I wasn't really close friends with this woman until tonight I guess..

I'm tired, and I just got back, so I will just give you the jist of what happened. She lives under these new people who just bought an apartment above. They are loud as hell, blare music until the late hours of the night, and the young woman in question made several complaints to no avail. Tonight they again blared music, and she finally lost patience and tapped the ceiling with a broomstick. She was home alone. A few moments later three or four people (women) came down and pounded on her door, and told her to "open the F_cking door" in loud and violent voices. She asked who it was (and was horrified) and they said simply "me." They continued to pound her door, cuss at her, and finally left back up to their upper floor to blare music even louder then before. She called the police, and was told an officer would be on the way, but she waited nearly a half hour and no one showed up. She called the cops again, but still was left without any help. She then called my friend who came and picked her up to get her out of there.
When I arrived at my friends house (not knowing she was even there) he briefly told me what happened, and left her with me while he ran a quick errand.

:mad: Well whoever these people were scared the living hell out of this girl, and after I calmed her down and got information, I called the cops myself to make sure they came down. Turns out they did send a cop to the apartment after she had left, and the cop talked to the people upstairs. So far things are smooth, and the good thing is that she is moving out in a week's time.
She stayed with me and my friend, and talked about more pleasant things after I had spoken with the police. In about an hour's time, her boyfriend came and picked her up (yeah sucks I know :D ) and took her back. Cops told me that if anyone harrassed her again just to call them, and they would come immediately.

So I hope things are okay. But what p!sses me off to no end is the fear these b1tches put this girl through (who is now a much closer friend of mine as the situation would have it). :mad:
Once again I was given the opportunity to use my knowledge of fear management, panic syndrome, victim counseling, and knowing how the law works, etc. to help someone out.

This is like the fourth violent situation I've gotten involved with (though this time not directly) in a 2 months span. Weird. Maybe someone's trying to tell me something. I feel I'm gaining lots of experience actually... as well as knowing how I really react to situations like these when they present themselves. I'm guessing it's good knowledge to have.

Incidently, when I worked with this girl, I was attracted to her. LOL, it sucks that she has a boyfriend, but who knows what situations like these can lead to :D (sorry, had to throw in some selfishness just for the hell of it.)

Anyway, it really angers me that people victimize others! :mad: I'm sick of it, and if I'm around it, you better believe I'll put a stop to it. :mad: No one victimizes someone around me... God help them if the person they victimize is someone I care about.

Anyway, goodnight.

Ryu

SevenStar
09-21-2002, 11:51 PM
Once again the hero doesn't get the girl, eh? :( :)

Yeah, it's definitely good experience. Have you ever thought about going into personal security or law enforcement?

guohuen
09-22-2002, 07:47 AM
This is going to escalate. Somehow the perpetrator needs to be convinced this is not a good idea. Calling the police only works on non sociopaths. They are probably brooding and planning revenge right now. I recommend applied physical psycology. Discreetly of course.

Ryu
09-22-2002, 09:31 AM
If these people have a braincell in their heads they will not so much as look crosseyed at this girl ever again. Otherwise I will get fully involved into the situation without hesitation. Right now, there is little I can do. The police are the police. They have to handle things. They know of the incident, both she and I talked to them, and if anyone threatens her, etc. they will go to jail. I can't just go over there and play "hero" because that definitely WILL escalate things. I'll check on her later. I'll give her a call and see how things are after my training today. If I believe that she's physically (or emotionally) in any danger whatsoever I will go there and get her away from the situation.

Seven, yeah I actually almost became a LEO at one point. I took lots of classes in police law and policy, and joined the academy too ( I had also worked security for a few years)
At the last minute I pulled out and decided to instead finish my philo degree, and teach and write. The police don't "save the day" in reality that much. They mostly deal with heroine addicts, little babies that die in car accidents, etc. :( I don't think I can handle that kind of thing everyday so......

But helping people and making them feel safe is a natural instinct I have. Personal protection might very well be something worth looking into.

Ryu

Crimson Phoenix
09-22-2002, 09:39 AM
That indeed sounded like a violent and frightening situation...

FatherDog
09-23-2002, 07:56 AM
Originally posted by Ryu
This is like the fourth violent situation I've gotten involved with (though this time not directly) in a 2 months span. Weird. Maybe someone's trying to tell me something.

It's not really that weird. You obviously have a lot of knowledge about self-defense and situation management, so you're naturally the person your friends think of to back them up. And as you successfully resolve situations, they become anecdotes that the people involved relate to their friends, so you get a reputation for being the 'go-to guy' in a difficult situation. The last three incidents you've related (that I remember) weren't just violent situations you stumbled into, they were situations that your friends asked you for help in dealing with... naturally, since you're probably the person they know most able to help them.

Anyway, glad to hear that the situation was resolved without too much unpleasantness.

Ryu
09-23-2002, 08:31 AM
I hadn't thought of it that way actually. I guess that's very true.

Ryu

HuangKaiVun
09-23-2002, 08:38 AM
Be a hero to YOURSELF, Ryu.

Find yourself a nice beautiful woman who actually wants you as her man.

Meanwhile, don't take this girl's problems onto yourself.

Save your efforts for somebody who really DESERVES your help.

Ray Pina
09-23-2002, 08:42 AM
Maybe the chicks were upstairs partying -- stoned and drunk -- and just blasting some music. Cohabitating is tough. I've done and still do it. It's a two way street. You kind of have to live with it and accept it and then when you have people over late expect the same level of acceptance.

Seems a bit like both parties were a bit unreasonable. The others should be more curtious and definitely not come down to harass, but your friend could be more patient and accepting of the situation.

Either way my friend, you may have done better to side with the ladies up stairs.;) Four women partying without a man and all worked up ...:) Could have maybe given them something better to do.

Also, you may find yourself in these situations because you are more aware of them, and also self admitting taking up a cause to see to the end of them. When you have a hammer in hand everything looks like a nail.

But you are smart and confident so as long as you are having fun, Ryu to the rescue.;)

CD Lee
09-23-2002, 10:15 AM
RYU said

Otherwise I will get fully involved into the situation without hesitation

Well, as having some experience in these apartment matters myself, I say, don't. Get involved on a consulting level only.

Here is what she should do. Think about this because it works. Have her install a very small shelf beside the door, that you can place a small tape recorder on. NEVER go to the offending persons apprtment door. Bang with the broom or call them. Allow them to come down to her door. Open the door and tape the conversation. Hopefully they will yell very loudly, and make some threatening statements. She should be extreemly appologetic and act scared. Then slam the door and lock it.

Legally they have just commited assault in a very bad way. Assault is verbal, battery is physical. This behavior is illegal. If there is more than one of them, the case should be cut and dry.

My buddy has been through a terrible time with his record due to speaking loudly to a 20 yr. old punk after a ball game one day. No contact, and no cursing. The kid was 'scared' because my friend was big, and speaking too loudly at him. My buddy was found guilty of assault, and it is on his record.

RYU, one thing is for absolute certain. IF YOU SEEK OUT TROUBLE, YOU WILL SURELY FIND IT.