PDA

View Full Version : Why was your art created?

rogue
09-22-2002, 08:37 AM
Many arts were created or changed to counter a specific threat. For example, I've read several times that the techniques of Gen. Choi's original recipe TKD and those of Hapkido were developed or borrowed from other arts to counter Judo and Japanese Karate fighters.

So, why was your art created?

old jong
09-22-2002, 09:37 AM
I believe Wing Chun was created in the need of a fast to learn and effective system to be used in some civil troubled times.(I am not an historian on this subjec!);)
Now it serves as the CMA's version of ''Family Feud'';)

Royal Dragon
09-22-2002, 09:42 AM
The founder of my art was basically a warlord. he became Emperor basically by conquering everyone around him.

After that, he consoloidated his most sucsesful skilles into his own personal style. I guess he didn't have time to do that before he was Emperor because he was too buisy conquering other states. It just continued to evolve from there.

Sho
09-22-2002, 10:01 AM
Our style was created in order to fight the evil Manchurians away! :D

Ryu
09-22-2002, 10:18 AM
To protect people from being victimized by b1tches...

Chang Style Novice
09-22-2002, 11:00 AM
to knock people down

HuangKaiVun
09-22-2002, 12:32 PM
I created my "Huang Style" because I wanted a style that fit ME.

The style I made for myself is designed to be used in any situation and can utilize the objects of our environment (e.g. pens, sticks, brooms, books, briefcases, chairs, etc . . . )

For example, I wanted a style that would allow me to fight from a seated position. Hence I put in maneuvers to get in and out of chairs, as well as use it as a shield or weapon.

I also made my own "Lohan" and "Tai Chi" sets.

This wasn't so much an innovation as it was a rearrangement of what I had learned in those original arts.

Because I've trained traditional kung fu, I prefer my sets extremely compacted, linear, and without repetition. I did this in order to strip my art down to the bare essentials needed for adjusting to different situations in combat.

At this point, I practice and fight with strictly my own stuff. I don't really practice my "traditional" kung fu nowadays.

{i^(
09-22-2002, 12:40 PM
http://www.zerotoys.com/action/

DelicateSound
09-22-2002, 12:42 PM
I learned Ralek-style for several reasons, but mainly I wanted to learn how to masturbate ambidextrously to allow easier changing of UFC tapes.

Seriously - Wing Chun has a famous story behind it. Created by a woman etc.. able to control bigger opponants. As I'm 6'2 and 13 stone lean, I hopefully can tackle a bear.

IronFist
09-22-2002, 12:46 PM
Wrong, Wing Chun was created to help people argue about lineages better.

IronFist

joedoe
09-22-2002, 07:26 PM
Our art was created to kick arse :D

Seriously, I was told that our art was created to help preserve the arts of Shaolin as a lot of the masters were leaving the temple. That is the legend anyway :)

SanHeChuan
09-22-2002, 07:38 PM
So I could eat granola and find my center :D

diego
09-22-2002, 11:17 PM
use guyz ' see the Pun in wingchun bieng developed to be Family Fued and ryu having troubles of the human female dog variety plus knowing jeet kune do concepts...:D

Wrong, Wing Chun was created to help people argue about lineages better.

IronFist

Ryu To protect people from being victimized by b1tches...

Fish of Fury
09-23-2002, 05:04 PM
Yes, our art was created to counter a specific threat!

our sifu Billy Blanks (after being buried beneath a mountain and becoming irrepressible!) saw that Americans were in danger of having too much money in their wallets, whilst at the same time potentially being exposed to actual Martial Arts without the protection of leotards...thus he forged TaeBo, piecing it together laborously from the remnants of Jane Fonda videos thought long lost to man.

{i^(
09-23-2002, 05:23 PM
Wing Chun's primary attack mode is not the fist. It's screaming unintelligbly until the opponent gives in. This is all just practice- really, we all get along just fine! :p

Felipe Bido
09-23-2002, 06:00 PM
Our style was created by a fellow who used to kick ass in the battlefield with his spear...when the war was over, he thought: "Ok, Now the war is over and I can't kick ass with my spear anymore...peace sucks...how can I kick more ass in times of peace?"

So, he turned his spear abilities into bare hand techniques, and allegedly found a kickass manual written by the General Yueh "The Buttkicker" Fei, who used to be a kickass hero in the Sung Dinasty. Combining everything, he came up with Hsing Yi Chuan, a style suitable for people that go nuts and punch everything in sight.

Did I say it kicks ass? :D

Xebsball
09-23-2002, 06:10 PM
:D no one could say it in a better way

(Cartman style) kick ass!! :cool:

David Jamieson
09-23-2002, 07:40 PM
no t.v, too many bandits and thugs.

there wasn't any t.v in those days so nobody sat around watching it. Instead they ganged together and stole from others.

Without t.v and all those bandits out there, what could you do but try to find a better way to have less bandits in your life, so you could get on with the real business of inventing t.v's.

So, as a recap:

1. too many bandits
2. no t.v

I thought this was common knowledge. Right up there with Louis Andersons new show "Pai of Internal Battling".

Fish- Once again, I laughed out loud.

peace

Merryprankster
09-24-2002, 01:53 AM
My style was created to defeat TMA punks and so I could go to Brazil.

And gi burns. Apparently we like gi burns.

Felipe Bido
09-24-2002, 07:38 AM
Gi burns are definitely a plus

DelicateSound
09-24-2002, 07:46 AM
Unless they're:

A) Genital burns

B) Permanent ones on your back that have never gone.*

*I have these. Only "B" mind.... :D