Saturday:Basic Workout

Suday:Rest
Monday:Rest
Tuesday:Powerlifting
Wednesday:Rest
Thursday:Powerlifting
Friday:Basic workout & Conditioning Exercises
Saturday:Basic Workout & Conditioning Exercises

My basic workout is jumping jacks,push ups,sit ups.
My conditioning exercises are exercises I learned in class that strengthen the joints and tendons.
For power lifting I do inclined bench press,military press,and squats(I also do 21s and butterflys).

Here is what I am trying to achieve in order from important to least important:

1)Strength
2)Speed
3)Endurance

I also run and practice kung fu every day except for the days I rest.

Also, if some of you guys have better exercises te help me achieve my goals quicker could you please tell me what they are and if you have a better workout schedule could you tell me what it is too?

Thanks for any help.

IronFist
09-23-2002, 02:07 AM
Originally posted by Viper555

My basic workout is jumping jacks,push ups,sit ups.
My conditioning exercises are exercises I learned in class that strengthen the joints and tendons.
For power lifting I do inclined bench press,military press,and squats(I also do 21s and butterflys).

What are butterflies? The one where you bring your arms in like on a pec dec? Don't do that. And instead of doing 21's, you will get much better results (especially if you like the powerlifting thing) from doing pullups. Why do you do incline bench press AND military press? They both work almost the same thing.

IronFist

Viper555
09-23-2002, 03:22 AM
I'm not sure why I do both. Which one would you recommend that I do and what could I replace the other one with?

ElPietro
09-23-2002, 12:28 PM
You don't have any back exercises on your powerlifting day. You cannot, not train back.

If you want a simple routine you could try this:

Flat Bench or Incline Bench
Deadlifts
Squats
Chins

Incline bench works the chest but also incorporates the shoulders a bit more, so this is probably why iron was saying that doing these with military press are the same. I wouldn't say they are, but if you are only doing limited number of exercises, you could probably choose a better mix.

Viper555
09-23-2002, 12:41 PM
how do you do deadlifts and chins?

Is one day or rest a week enough?

Viper555
09-23-2002, 12:47 PM
What mix would you recommend to someone wanting to gain(in order from most important to least)

1)Strength
2)Speed
3)Endurance

Kempo Guy
09-23-2002, 12:49 PM
Viper555,

Chin ups are pullups done with palms facing in. 'Regular Pullup' is done with palms facing out. I would recommend doing both, but concentrating on pullups as it works you back muscles more so than a chinup.

Here's a link (http://www.testosterone.net/articles/194dead2.html) on how to do proper deadlifts.

I think the way you have spaced your workouts are ok, but I would probably cut back on some of your 'basic workouts' in order to recover from your powerlifting workout, i.e. if you're lifting heavy (to gain strength).

KG

Viper555
09-23-2002, 01:27 PM
Could you tell me or give me a link on how to do deadlifts?Like a begginers guide because i've never done a deadlift,never seen anyone do a deadlift and have no idea what a deadlift is,.

ewallace
09-23-2002, 01:34 PM
http://www.exrx.net/WeightExercises/ErectorSpinae/BBDeadlift.html

popsider
09-23-2002, 01:38 PM
I think you need a deadlift platform/mat or something because you have to drop the bar after you have lifted it - so if you don't have one you can't do them - I may be wrong because I know **** all about weights though:)

What they censor f u ck now!!!

Suntzu
09-23-2002, 01:54 PM
if he's never done/seen/heard/smelled a DL before I don’t think he'll need a mat or whatever else… and if you start doing DL's please start with a managable weight and use correct form… try and find some one to show you correct form… and I would start using DB's and move up from there... 1 arm rows are really good too... they are one of my favorites...

Kempo Guy
09-23-2002, 01:59 PM
A good source of information for Deadlifts are in the book/video called "Power to the People" by Pavel Tsatsouline.

It's definitely worthwhile reading (it's actually a 'must read/see') if you are interested in strength training.

KG

ElPietro
09-24-2002, 06:28 AM
To perform deadlifts all you need is weight, a bar, and a floor.

Here is how you do them:

Put weight on bar, pick up bar, put bar down, repeat.

WinterPalm
09-25-2002, 08:45 AM
Maybe you should spend more time practicing your kung fu? How much time do you dedicate to it every week? It should be more than the powerlifting or you are a power lifter who likes to do kung fu. I'm assuming that you are a martial artist that wants to improve his skill by training in different methods.
I've found the best regimen that I used to do was, Bench press, pullups, squat and deadlift. Do all for about 2 to 3 sets and 6 to 8 reps except for the pullups which instead of adding weight you just do more reps but make sure both sets are equal. Rest very little between sets and exercises. This should only take you twenty minutes at the most and ten at the least. OF course if you have access to a gym it could be even less.
And then you have a whole lot of time to practice your kung fu!:D

Suntzu
09-25-2002, 09:15 AM
ElPietro-quite eloquent…

… but please use correct form… or you'll be back in a few weeks asking how to make my back feel better…

Viper555
09-25-2002, 03:20 PM
My workouts usually take about an hour to do. After that I practice kung fu for an hour or more(except on weekends which I practice it more).I usually do 5 sets with 5 reps with 3 minutes in between each set.Is 70 pounds low enough for starting to do deadlifts?I also don't have very good endurance,strength, or speed(used to be a couch potato)yet.Also,what are some good ways to improve my speed?

Kempo Guy
09-25-2002, 03:54 PM
Viper555,

What kind of speed is it that you are trying to develop?

KG

IronFist
09-25-2002, 06:19 PM
Originally posted by WinterPalm
except for the pullups which instead of adding weight you just do more reps but make sure both sets are equal.

Why not add weight to pullups?

IronFist

Viper555
09-25-2002, 07:03 PM
I want to get pretty good speed in my kicks/punches/blocks without loosing power. I can throw fast punches that have little power and throw powerful punches with low speed. I would like to me able to do both.

Kempo Guy
09-26-2002, 08:51 AM
Viper555,

As you know there are different types of speed and they need to be addressed in different ways. The most important thing is to first understand the body mechanics of a punch or a kick. Without proper/efficient body mechanics you will never attain your max speed or power. There is definitely a 'best' way to punch and kick so this needs to be studied in depth.

Once this is understood I feel quickness will develop almost as a 'side-effect' of proper training/understanding. There are of course specific speed drills (both solo and partner work) that will increase your quickness and your perceptual speed.

For solo speed work you could hit speed bags, top & bottom bag, striking sheets of paper (x-ray film is great for this) that is strung up in order to develop snap and speed (you won't be able to hit it properly unless you are quick), striking a tennisball that strung up from the ceiling etc. etc. I could name a number of partner drills as well but I will refrain at this point.

Second, to increase power (and speed) in punching you have to do impact training against pads, bags etc. To increase (explosive) power you could add ballistic exercises or plyometrics.

I'd also like to mention that being able to remain relaxed during a strike will increase speed and power as well. Being a student of Neijia (internal Chinese arts) I feel this is extremely important.

FWIW, I don't necessarily think speed is the most important thing to develop. Rather understanding the proper mechanics, structural integrity, angels of deflection, force vectors etc. is what's important. This way you will not require lightning quick speed (since speed/quickness is the first thing you will lose as you age) but instead use physics to your advantage. :D

Sorry for the rambling... I'm not sure if this was coherent. :rolleyes:

Later,
KG

IronFist
09-26-2002, 12:06 PM
Originally posted by Kempo Guy
angels of deflection

Is that kind of like an Astral Spy?

:D

IronFist

Kempo Guy
09-26-2002, 04:06 PM
Ooops... :D
Angles dude, angles.

So much for my typing skills... :o

WinterPalm
09-26-2002, 08:00 PM
I've found that weighted pullups are inconvient and uncomfortable. Of course I've never invested in a belt to hang the weights from. That and it seems like a good exercise to add reps to and get as high as you can. In a reality situtation one would think that climbing fast would be beneficial.
You can also do pullups so many different ways that the muscles get exercised throughly. Same with pushups; why add weight when you can do so many variations.
I am also not very keen on weight lifting, for me it makes me tense and inhibits proper comfortable posture.