PDA

View Full Version : How do you pronounce Chen Qingzou's name?

gnugear
09-22-2002, 08:34 PM
Chen Qingzhou

How do you phonetically pronounce his last name?

Repulsive Monkey
09-23-2002, 04:57 AM
Judging by that being the correct spelling of his name it would be pronounced as :

Chen Ching Chow although I might be tempted to pronounce it Jing Chow.

RAF
09-23-2002, 05:35 AM
If pinyin serves me right (leaving out the tones)

Chun Ching Joe (Joe with a funny Jrrr Ohh but fast. Zh = Jrrrr)

Good luck!

Repulsive Monkey
09-23-2002, 06:55 AM
Zh is usually pronouced as a ch sound admittedly slightly softer than a pure ""CHUUUH"!! kind of thang!

gnugear
09-23-2002, 09:42 AM
Thanks!

I've been embarassed that I haven't been able to say his name correctly!

RAF
09-23-2002, 10:06 AM
Check your pinyin books.

Beijing mandarin is Zh = jhrrr

Zh, Ch, Sh, r

Zh is an unasperated voiceless blade-palatal affricate. To produce it, first turn up the tip of the tongue against the hard palate, then loosen it and let the air squeeze out the channel thus made. It is unaspirated and the vocal chords do not vibrate.

Ch is an asperiated voiceless blade-palatal affricate. This sound is produced in the same manner as zh but is aspirated.

Ch sounds like the first part of Church, i.e. Chur like in Chi ba---eat

I learned a bit from the text Integrated Chinese: Simplified Character Edition, Textbook by Tao-chung Yao and Yuehua Liu. You can get tapes with it but its really best for classroom use.

Let me note one qualification---each region has a different twist on pronounciation, especially Chinese in Taiwan. Their pronounciation of zh is different and more like zuuuh. This is real distinct when they pronounce Zhong Guo.

Anyway, Chen QingZhou is a really great guy and you won't go wrong with his seminar.

looking_up
09-23-2002, 03:06 PM
Don't you dare address him by his first name. Trust me.

gnugear
09-23-2002, 09:34 PM
Originally posted by looking_up
Don't you dare address him by his first name. Trust me.

I'm dying from suspense ... what happened!?

looking_up
09-27-2002, 09:03 AM
Nothing happened, it's just not a good idea. It's something you
wouldn't even consider in Asian countries, especially in a relationship between teacher and student. Even with respectful
titles pasted on, you shouldn't do it.

RAF
09-27-2002, 09:34 AM
If you really want to get yourself in hotwater, call him Lao QingZhou (don't) its only for intiimate use among friends of the same age.

I suspect Chen Laoshi (teacher Chen) is your best bet.