PDA

View Full Version : this is for the record

yik-wah-tik
10-11-2001, 05:28 PM
ok peoples,

for joseph and any other interested party. i have been given the go ahead by my sifu to relate this incident to you.

before i start, i don't care about your negative comments, if you want to give constructive criticism, then that cool, but if you have nothing nice to say........don't say anything!!!!!1

"very recently sifu ng cho keung made comments about a si-sook gung of mine who is in his late 70's, and elderly man! he said that his choy lee fut was not real clf because of the way this elderly man held his staff.

i will be the first to say that my si-sook gung is not a master but is a student of professor lau bun.

my si-sook gung's son went to ng cho keung's school alone to confront this sifu and his comments about his father. ng cho keung said he only meant that he could take away my si-sook gung's staff because of the way he held it.

so my classmate was going to let that go, but then ng cho keung asked if my classmate wanted his choy lee fut corrected. my classmate was offended by this question!

my sifu was told of this incident. this is an insult to my sifu!!!! as if my sifu cannot teach clf?!

who does this sifu think he is? all i have to say, is in the old days or in asia, it would be time to "tek kwoon" and let this sifu know who he is dealing with.

for one, we are the oldest gung fu school in the united states! no question about that! our school is way older than his!

secondly, no sifu, has the right to ask a student of another sifu if he wanted his clf corrected. he has insulted my sifu with that.

ng cho keung will be spoken to!

if people here think i am b.s.'ing-ask around about what happened when an author of a book called "lion dance explained" by dr. william hu when he came to san francisco. i will say this, we openly challenged him in the sing tao chinese newspaper with a full page ad!

we do not start trouble unless our toes have been stepped on.

so, for those who are asking for incidents and names for me to back up my claims, "ng cho keung" in san francisco very recently in chinatown.

ask about this situation.

fran

"graceful staff flies above like a dragon wiggling it's tail-strong fist releases out like a tiger raising its head"

sifuchuck
10-12-2001, 12:23 AM
You said:

"if people here think i am b.s.'ing-ask around about what happened when an author of a book called "lion dance explained" by dr. william hu when he came to san francisco. i will say this, we openly challenged him in the sing tao chinese newspaper with a full page ad!"

I'm sorry, I don't really understand this paragraph. Could you please explain a little better? It seems to me that you are saying that you challenged Dr Hu. Is that it? And if so, why? I've heard nothing but good things about Dr Hu and his book on Lion Dance--maybe I'm reading you wrong.

Thanks.
chuck

yik-wah-tik
10-12-2001, 01:10 AM
all you have to do is ask about his experience ins sf at his lion dance conference. he made some comments without doing proper research, and ****ed a lot of people off in frisco.

i won't go into in any further.

but thanks for your interest.

frank

"graceful staff flies above like a dragon wiggling it's tail-strong fist releases out like a tiger raising its head"

iron_silk
10-12-2001, 06:41 AM
gee this sounds kind of different than the story you told before...as in you gave more detail and under this situation I can understand the "further" insult given...

but I was wondering then how was the staff held that made it wrong? or is there a different way of holding the staff depending on the different CLF?

What little i did learn was mainly holding the staff by having the left hand firmly fixed at one end of the staff...and the right hand as guide for the staff direction.

Any other insight? =)

Kung Lek
10-12-2001, 07:05 PM
yik wha tik-

Dr.W.C Hu is a highly regarded historian of Chinese Lion Dance in many schools that practice it.

Improper research? I don't understand that. I have read some of his book and it is very comprehensive and a valuable resource for any lion dancer or lion dance instructor. The book is out of print and very difficult to get but still in high demand by many who practice and teach lion dance.

There are other invaluable resources on the subject of lion dance of course, such as Tat Mau Wongs videos and various other videos out of north america and from China.
Not to mention the yearly Genting National competition videos.

I have not seen any conflict in the combination of materials or from what my sifu has imparted and what I have personally learned about Lion Dance and it's practices.

peace

Kung Lek

Martial Arts Links (http://members.home.net/kunglek)

yik-wah-tik
10-14-2001, 12:38 AM
hey man,

ok, according to this ng cho keung, a true choy lee fut stylist should hold their staff from the end of the stick to about 2 ft spread out. that is less than the width of your shoulders. but the way we hold our stick is the width is shoulder width-meaning to the outside of the shoulders. not really any further. and the way we hold the staff the middle of the staff is pressed against our torso.

the elder is in his 70's and held his staff a little wider than his shoulders.

in our hung sing school, whether it is a single ended staff or a double ended staff the width of holding the stick is always shoulder width and almst always held close to the torso.

open for comments

thanks,

frank

yik-wah-tik
10-14-2001, 12:44 AM
for all i can tell you is that the situation happened in san francisco's chinatown at a conferece held in the holiday inn. i don't have the exact date in my hands as we speak, but no one can deny what happened that day.

he wrote a public apology to my sifu which we have on file. if he reprents the book he will have to make a retraction regarding his comments,or we will take it further.

we were not there to cause trouble,it was strictly business, but we were ready for whatever.

i may still have the newspaper article we challenged him.

we do not dispute him as an historian on lion dancing, only the comment he made about us.

frank