PDA

View Full Version : OT: setting up a salt-water aquarium

fa_jing
09-23-2002, 02:05 PM
Sorry, non-MA related, unless you like to meditate while staring at the little fishees-

We've just bought a 42-gallon hexagonal aquariom, with florescent light and a filter with "Bio-wheel." What do we need to do to create the necessary salinity to keep salt-water tropical fish? I know you're supposed to use marine salt and use a meter to monitor salinity. Any good advice, or links to info on the web?

RENEGADE_MONK
09-23-2002, 02:44 PM
Fa_jing

For better water quality and less maintenance use a protien skimmer instead of the Penquin Bio wheel any skimmer rated for 50gal tank will get you good results. For that size tank a Berlin skimmer is good.

What type of fish do you plan on keeping?

as far as salinity.... 1.023 and 1.024 is your target range , I use Aquarium Systems Hydrometer for my testing I found this to be the best one. and for your salt use Instant Ocean as it has most of the electrolytes and minerals needed that some of the lesser brands don't have.

Drop me a pm or just post here ...I'll be more than happy to help

fa_jing
09-23-2002, 04:35 PM
RM - check your PM's.
Thanks!

MonkeyBoy
09-23-2002, 04:44 PM
If you are serious about a salt-water set up, look into Reverse-Osmosis filtering.

The premier technology for salt water is known as "Wet/Dry."

RENEGADE_MONK
09-23-2002, 07:21 PM
Originally posted by MonkeyBoy
If you are serious about a salt-water set up, look into Reverse-Osmosis filtering.

The premier technology for salt water is known as "Wet/Dry."

Yup...... RO is best or you can use a good Deonizer Unit, However tho Wet Dry filtering is not used as much as it used to be since the mid to late 90's more and more people are using the Refugia Filtration Method along with Protein Skimming, or Live sand with Protein Skimming, the key to a good tank is starting out with good water Quality and and the best Skimmer your budget will allow

RENEGADE_MONK
09-23-2002, 07:24 PM
Fa_jing

your PM box is full:o

fa_jing
09-23-2002, 07:25 PM
If tap water's bad to use, should I run it through my Brita filter before putting it in the tank? and what about my water purifying liquid additive - won't this remove the ammonia?

RENEGADE_MONK
09-23-2002, 07:32 PM
Originally posted by fa_jing
[B]If tap water's bad to use, should I run it through my Brita filter before putting it in the tank?
No, because it doesn't remove all of the chemicals that are harmful to fish, If your tank was already established then you could, but the drawback would be an ugly hair algae bloom.

and what about my water purifying liquid additive - won't this remove the ammonia?

No, what that does is raise the water's PH value and softens the water some and contains aloe or something like that to help protect the fish' slime coat

RENEGADE_MONK
09-23-2002, 07:49 PM
You can do those things you just asked about, but let your tank cycle for a few weeks before intrducing any fish