PDA

View Full Version : need tips on deadlifts

rubthebuddha
09-25-2002, 10:58 AM
i'm having problems getting deadlifts to actually do anything. thus, a couple questions:

1. how straight should the back be, or how much should it be arched backward?
2. how bent should the knees be?
3. what other tips can you suggest?

i'm using a really low weight until i get the movement down, but the only muscles that get tired doing this, even after 30 or 40 reps, are the ones in my middle back (guessing traps, but i'm not sure) from holding the weight. but the hammies just don't feel it.

idears? :confused:

Suntzu
09-25-2002, 11:08 AM
IME, the 'hammies' don’t really come into play doing DL's… your back should be 'natural' and look forward… don’t look down to the side whatever… look str8… stand up str8, bend at the knees keeping back str8 eyes and head focused forward weight on the whole foot not on the tips of your toes... grab the bar and drive upwards with your legs and keep the bar close to your body...

ElPietro
09-25-2002, 02:00 PM
Of course the hamstrings come into play in deadlifts. Sometimes you may not feel it, but for me generally hamstrings are the only muscle that is still sore the next day. The primary movers are the posterior chain and glutes though.

Here is an excellent article on deadlifts. Read through this 2 or 3 times, then read it again the next day, and maybe once or twice more a week later. It will really help you out. Deadlifts are a pretty simple lift. You just need to pick up the bar. The rest of the science of deadlifting comes from lifting techniques to help you pick up more weight than you normally could. If you take things slowly and don't get too eager when you see how much you can lift you will stay injury free.

yenhoi
09-25-2002, 02:31 PM
Where is the article?

Also, I would recomend Power To The People by Pavel Tsoutiline (sp?), one for just a reference on the Deadlift and variations, and secondly just for the PTP weight training method. Despite all the marketing, his books are actually pretty detailed when it comes to explaining and illustrating techniques.

Kempo Guy
09-25-2002, 02:56 PM
Yenhoi,

Perhaps the article ElPietro is referring to is here? (http://www.testosterone.net/articles/194dead2.html)

I also agree with Yenhoi about getting Pavel's PtP book or video. It has excellent techniques for developing strength with an empahsis on DL's.

KG

IronFist
09-25-2002, 06:06 PM
The hamstrings ARE worked in a deadlift. Your hamstrings serve two purposes: they bring you foot toward your butt (a la hamstring curls), but they also are responsible for flexion of the lower back. Ok, this is the motion I'm talking about: stand up and bend forward 90 degrees. Keep your back arched so your lower back muscles don't come into play. Now straighten up. That's your hamstrings. That's the motion they do in a deadlift since IDEALLY your lower back is arched the entire time.

Also, when you're deadlifting keep the abs TIGHT! It helps prevents hernias.

IronFist

ElPietro
09-26-2002, 10:13 AM
Oops! My apologies, I went to the article and copied the address line but never pasted it. Thanks Kempo Guy, that was the article I was referring to. :)

Suntzu
09-26-2002, 11:02 AM
i stand corrected...

rubthebuddha
09-26-2002, 11:29 AM
k, what are some other ways of killing your hammies that don't require a roomfull of weights? i have a few dumbbells, but that's about it. i do lunges, deadlifts and some exercise that i can't remember the name of -- you're on your back, feet elevated on a table/bed, knees bed at 90. you straighten your back so there's a line going from your neck to where your feet are planted. this gets both the lower back and hammies.

other exercises?

ewallace
09-26-2002, 11:33 AM
Get a stepstool or similar and set it next to a wall. Stand at the edge with the balls of your feet on the stepstool and go up on your tip toes. Lower as far as possible and repeat. Use the wall for support. A dumbell or two works great. You probably know this and I am typing pointlessly.

Kempo Guy
09-26-2002, 11:46 AM
rtb,

To be quite honest, I don't do exercises that work a specific muscle as I focus on doing exercises that produce more functional strength/power.

Having said that, 'Good mornings' would work hammies, and this could be done with a heavier dumbbell. One-legged deadlifts with dumbbells would work as well.

I do snatches and swings, which strengthens both the quads and hamstrings in addition to developing strength (and endurance) in your back, shoulders, calfs, forearms, grip etc... (functional strength).

Hope this helps,
KG

yenhoi
09-26-2002, 02:31 PM
Pavels book, Bulletproof abs, has one-legged deadlifts in it, and variations.

Kempo Guy
09-26-2002, 04:08 PM
He also has one-legged deadlifts in his new video/book called "From Russia with tough love".

ewallace
09-26-2002, 10:46 PM
For some reason I thought I read how to kill the calves. Bag that stepstool thing if it's for hamstrings.

ElPietro
09-27-2002, 07:26 AM
Yeah, goodmornings are great, and you can do your deadlifts with stiff legs. So slightly bent at the knee but you keep them stiff. This really will hit your hamstrings hard so be careful with them. If you are using heavy weight don't go down to a full stretch, your muscle is in a very weak position when fully stretched and you can tear the muscle. Trust me...I know. :(