PDA

View Full Version : Hey English people

IronFist
09-25-2002, 06:49 PM
What does "quid" mean? I keep reading it at seethru.co.uk.

IronFist

OneStrike
09-25-2002, 06:51 PM
slang for pound, as in unit of currency.

TaoBoy
09-25-2002, 07:25 PM
Jolly good question, old chap...and a smashing response. :)

Stranger
09-25-2002, 08:04 PM
What's a "bob" when talking about British money?

OneStrike
09-25-2002, 09:06 PM
same as quid now, but it used to be a shilling (20 pence) before decimal currency.

tnwingtsun
09-25-2002, 09:19 PM
This thread could turn into one of those funny Fosters commercials

IronFist
09-25-2002, 10:43 PM
Thanks, mate :D

Cheers!

IronFist

rubthebuddha
09-25-2002, 11:11 PM
ironfist, you renob. they're called "limeys," not english people.

(as the yankee flees for his life :D )

IronFist
09-26-2002, 12:06 AM
rubthebuddha, that's not nice. Just because they make up different words for elevator, apartment and bus is no reason to make fun of them. :p

Speaking of which, while my apartment does have a bus that goes to it, it does not have an elevator. <---- HAHAHAHA YOU HAVE NO IDEA WHAT I JUST SAID!!!!

That being said, for you guys that have seen Austin Powers 3, that scene where Austin and his dad are in the bedroom with the chicks and Austin's like "if we're going to speak English, let's speak English English."... that part cracked me up. Did you guys understand what they were actually saying?

I forgot, what's the expression for crazy? "all 6's and 7's" or something? WTF did that come from?

IronFist

TigerJaw
09-26-2002, 12:48 AM
Originally posted by OneStrike
same as quid now, but it used to be a shilling (20 pence) before decimal currency.

No it's not.

The old currency was 20 Shillings in a pound, 12 pennies in a shilling. So a shilling or bob works out to be 5 new pence. The old currency was written as L. s. d. for pound shilling and pence. The modern pound sign is still, in fact a stylised L but the d. has dissapeared.

and no, I'm not old enough to remember personally.

Shadow Dragon
09-26-2002, 12:54 AM
And the British rejected the metric system originally because they thought it was too complicated.

Seeya.

Repulsive Monkey
09-26-2002, 02:30 AM
who on earth said a shilling was 20 pence!!?? Obviously not someone from the UK?? A shilling used to be 5 pence.

Repulsive Monkey
09-26-2002, 02:33 AM
I've always thought that the Americans calling us Limeys has always been an insult which is lost on the Americans. For historically all it denoted was our care a nd preservation in matters of hygiene in long distance sea faring journeys and our medical know-who to avoid scurvy. Everyone else around the world used to die of it apart from us Limeys.
So I guess it a kind of sour grapes compliment to us really.

Cor blimey guv,innit!

TigerJaw
09-26-2002, 03:42 AM
Strike a light!

#Chim-chimeny, chim-chimeny, chim-chim, cherrie #

AdrianUK
09-26-2002, 04:07 AM
Ironfist

So what do we call a bus thats different ?

Frank Exchange
09-26-2002, 04:13 AM
Yeah, we have always called them buses, a shortened form of the old word "Omnibus".

(breaks into song)

"oh, the London Transport, Diesel engined,
24 horse power, Om-in-ee-bus!"

Strike a light guvnor!
Apples and pears!
Jellied eels!

neptunesfall
09-26-2002, 05:01 AM
don't go tellin no porkie pies.

TigerJaw
09-26-2002, 05:44 AM
Ah, but we all do know what an elevator is, as well as sidewalks, trashcans, and restrooms but I bet you don't know what a telly is, or a brolly, pavement, motorway, hamlet, semi-detatched house, caravan, savoury duck, spanner, pneumatic drill, estate car.

I bet you think that college and university mean the same thing. Ha, I imagine you think that momentarily means 'in a moment', it doesn't you know. So there!

Oh, and another thing, That stuff you call Jelly? It isn't, it's Jam!

:D

wooha
09-26-2002, 06:41 AM
'ello TJ, how's the trouble n' strife?

What about a car boot, or a bonnet? And how come you Americans put gas in your cars? We use that to cook with.

:confused:

Liokault
09-26-2002, 07:19 AM
Wow out of all the Brit guys on this site 3 are in oxford!!

BTW all us Brit guys find you yanks funny cos we can see you for the fat ridiculouse hawaii shirt wearing bufoons that you are. ( My canadia girlfriend made me write that ...but i do not neseserily disagree with it)

Repulsive Monkey
09-26-2002, 07:58 AM
that last comment is not necessarily shared by all English folk!!!

Stranger
09-26-2002, 08:12 AM
I may be wrong, but I believe that jelly and jam are two different yet similar products (we have both in the US). The third category here is "preserves". I believe the ingredients and cooking process determine what types of fruit spread you have.

I never got the impression that the use of the term "limey" is an insult because of its definition or origin, only in the manner in which it is said. It is very similar to "Yankee", in that the negative connotation manifests only when the term is spit out with a little hateful or condescending venom in the voice.

TigerJaw
09-26-2002, 08:43 AM
Originally posted by wooha
'ello TJ, how's the trouble n' strife?

What about a car boot, or a bonnet? And how come you Americans put gas in your cars? We use that to cook with.

:confused:

As you go, fair ta middlin'

How's yoursel, still skiving 'ere I shouldn't wonder.

Stranger: Can I borrow a can opener for these worms.
My wife's American and believe me the relationship between British and American fruit based confiture is far more complicated than you could possibly imagine. It's the sort of thing that could end in a flame war spilling over into email.

;)

Stranger
09-26-2002, 09:15 AM
TigerJaw,

Like I would dare to debate such things with an Englishman!:eek:

I surrender, as your knowledge of the subject is, no doubt, greater than mine.

There is actually a TV commercial that once ran in America wherein a big old Stetson-wearing Texan horrifies his English hosts by asking them to "pass the jelly". :o

Repulsive Monkey
09-26-2002, 09:20 AM
maybe he was refering Jellies as in Temazapan!!?

Liokault
09-26-2002, 09:28 AM
lol Temazapan, thats a good one.

Talikng of differances in lanugage you have to remember that Britain is only a small island but with in it are about 5 differant distinkt accents that make it impossiable for us to comunicate with each other!!!

I mean who can understand brummys?

Can you translate 'im off to catch the buzz?'

Xebsball
09-26-2002, 09:29 AM
Hey guys...

I was thinking of making some home-made brass knucles yesterday. I'm still thinking of the proper methods for such.

But here is the interesting part... here we call brass knucles of "soco inglês" wich means translating back to english: "english punch".
Any know why this?

apoweyn
09-26-2002, 09:37 AM
AdrianUK,

I used to live in Surrey myself, twenty years ago. Little Sandhurst.

As an English expatriate, I think I can clear up the whole jelly/jam/preserves thing. What Americans call preserves are what the English call jam. What Americans call jelly didn't really have an equivalent when I was still living in England (1971 to 1981). And what the English call marmalade, I call... awful.

But really, when there's a readily available supply of Marmite to be had, who gives a rat's arse about jam?!

Stuart B.

red5angel
09-26-2002, 09:43 AM
I cant stand marmalade!

By the way Ap, hows the engagement coming along?

TigerJaw
09-26-2002, 09:46 AM
So you don't like marmalade but your do like Marmite. I'm afraid we're going to have to take this outside.

Then again I suppose somebody's got to eat the stuff it'd just pile up and start stinking up the place. Can you even get Marmite in America? It's a by-product of making beer, which I know isn't available stateside.

(Oh no, I've done it now!)

apoweyn
09-26-2002, 09:50 AM
Originally posted by red5angel
I cant stand marmalade!

By the way Ap, hows the engagement coming along?

hey red5,

wedding is a week from saturday. so i guess it's going fine. :)

thanks for asking, mate.

apoweyn
09-26-2002, 09:54 AM
Originally posted by TigerJaw
So you don't like marmalade but your do like Marmite. I'm afraid we're going to have to take this outside.

Then again I suppose somebody's got to eat the stuff it'd just pile up and start stinking up the place. Can you even get Marmite in America? It's a by-product of making beer, which I know isn't available stateside.

(Oh no, I've done it now!)

TigerJaw,

honestly, i didn't like marmalade as a kid. i'd probably like it just fine now. but i thought it was too tart back then. (of course, back then i lived on nutella, so... )

you can get marmite here, but only in small jars (unless you go to a special english shop, which i thankfully have right down the street from me). it's available in the local supermarkets though. problem is that they don't really know what it is, so you can never tell where they're going to stock it. sometimes, you'll find it in 'international' and sometimes it'll be in with the baking supplies (for reasons unknown).

the greatest thing about marmite, in my opinion, is that i never have to share it.

stuart b.

rubthebuddha
09-26-2002, 10:26 AM
just as long as you folks lay off the chutney, we'll get along fine.

red5angel
09-26-2002, 11:35 AM
Ap, no problem, I wish you the best of luck!

Budokan
09-26-2002, 12:35 PM
I want to bang the Queen on her birthday right out in the open in Piccadilly Circus. Would you Limeys let me do that...?

IronFist
09-26-2002, 01:02 PM
Originally posted by Frank Exchange
Yeah, we have always called them buses, a shortened form of the old word "Omnibus".

(breaks into song)

Don't you mean...

(breaks into song)

"Ich fahr Omnibus."

Haha.

I thought you guys had a different word for bus. Maybe it was a different word for "trunk" or something. I forgot.

IronFist

Dercetuas
09-26-2002, 01:15 PM
"rubthebuddha, that's not nice. Just because they make up different words for elevator, apartment and bus is no reason to make fun of them"

Make up words? You might be suprised to find this out, but the English Language actually comes from England and so its the Americans that make up different words.

Any Welsh on this forum? I lived in Wales for a few years and they're very underrepresented on MA forums and thier language is very interesting.

apoweyn
09-26-2002, 01:56 PM
I thought you guys had a different word for bus. Maybe it was a different word for "trunk" or something. I forgot.

IronFist

you're probably thinking of trucks. or 'lorries' as they're called in england.

stuart b.

apoweyn
09-26-2002, 02:01 PM
Any Welsh on this forum? I lived in Wales for a few years and they're very underrepresented on MA forums and thier language is very interesting.

one of the administrators at cyberkwoon is welsh. he's the only one that jumps to mind. shaolinmonkey, i think his name is.

stuart b.

Azure
09-26-2002, 03:21 PM
Marmite? Nah.

Vegimite is King.

Andrew
09-26-2002, 04:57 PM
I've been to the U.S and the phrase two countries divided by a
language is so true. Especially all those people who think its funny to do ****ney accents, as the all sound like sh*t and
everyone sounds like **** van dyke.

'Cor luv a duke Mary Poppins' W.T.F is that.

If you want to sound like you're from the east end you need
to say:

'facking caunts', master this and you could fit in.

The best ryhming slang ever:

Claires. As in ' Nice claires'

Claries -> Claire rayner (Agony aunt) -> trainer.

For our american cousins

trainers are sneakers.

So

'Nice Claires' => 'I like your sneakers'

I thank you. Off to uncle ted.

Stone Monkey
09-26-2002, 06:19 PM
http://www.aldertons.com/english-.htm

rubthebuddha
09-26-2002, 08:23 PM
question for all you limeys:

is this the general impression you have of us yanks?

typical american (http://sherm.20megsfree.com/burgerking.swf)

:eek:

joedoe
09-26-2002, 08:36 PM
The whole world has that impression :D

cogg
09-27-2002, 03:36 AM
that BK link is the funniest thing i have ever seen:D will e singing all day long now. i gotta bun, would you like an apple pie da da da

Frank Exchange
09-27-2002, 04:46 AM
I pity you poor fools who love the Marmite.

It is but a tasteless rendering of the one true spread.....

BOVRIL!

A man's spread!

Pure, unadulterated essence of cow!

You can drink it!

You can spread it thinly on buttered toast!

Stronger men can spread it thickly on buttered toast!

And real men can eat the thickly spreaded buttered toast!

It has an amusing, yet manly shaped jar!

It contains BEEF! Thats right, kids, BEEF!

All hail the mighty BOVRIL.

wooha
09-27-2002, 06:18 AM
Is the answer to the bus puzzle the word 'Coach'? The word we use for what the Americans just seem to call 'Greyhounds' in the same way we call vacuum cleaners 'hoovers'. ??

Could be.

apoweyn
09-27-2002, 07:13 AM
bovril, eh? never tried it.

but cow in a jar. how could that be bad?!

TigerJaw
09-27-2002, 07:26 AM
I suppose that depends on exactly which parts of the cow were used. I wouldn't have thought that it's prime cuts of sirloin.

Both Marmite and Bovril are very bad things indeed. If you have any such product I recomend you contact you local bio-hazard disposal expert for that is what they both are. I wonder if Saddam Husein is producing marmite as part of his WOMAD programme.

apoweyn
09-27-2002, 08:00 AM
tigerjaw,

you should have seen it when my friends first tried marmite. (not like i was encouraging them. i wanted it for myself.)

chris tried it and then was 'forced' to down half a harp's to drown out the taste. brian went through a series of breathing exercises to psych himself up. observing the other two, mike declined.

stuart/marmite/water crackers = 1
chris/brian/mike = 0

stuart b.

wooha
09-27-2002, 08:14 AM
I've got to agree with a thumbs down for Marmite, but at least they've got the most honest advertising campaign I've ever seen.

apoweyn
09-27-2002, 08:54 AM
well, it's certainly not universally loved. more for me, i guess.

what's their advertising campaign?

suddenly, i fancy ribena.

stuart b.

guohuen
09-27-2002, 10:44 AM
I heard MI6 developed Bovril in '44 in Canada as a last ditch chemical weapon against the nazis.

dbulmer
09-27-2002, 11:49 AM
Apoweyn,
What if it walks like a duck and talks like a duck, but is actually a shape-shifting monster hellbent on killing you and assuming your form? What then, smart guy?

You mean Michael Jackson doing Wing Chun - well run! :)

apoweyn
09-27-2002, 11:56 AM
michael jackson doing anything at all is cause to run away.

SHA-MON!

oldwolf
09-27-2002, 01:23 PM
Rubthe budweiser,
Homer Simpson is the typical Yank.:D