PDA

View Full Version : UK Lau Gar Hakka ??

Ross
10-16-2001, 07:29 PM
Read the the stuff over on the http://www.hungkuen.net/forum.

Now some claim this to be a Hakka style. Anyone have any information that would suggest that this style is Hakka?? Anyone independent know enough about the style say if this is true or not?? What I have read/seen/heard wouldn't seem to support this but hey I'm open to this being a possibility.

Thanks! R

Colin
10-21-2001, 04:06 PM
hi,

Having studied Lau Gar Kuen in the UK for several years now, and having strived to extract the truth as to the history of this art, I have to say that although there are many similarities between Lau Gar Kuen and styles such as "Chow Gar Praying Mantis" & "Bak Mei" i've never heard anyone within the BKFA use the term Hakka to discribe our style.
However I do not know this for a fact, and will ask Master Yau next week when I see him.

regards
Colin..................

Ross
10-22-2001, 12:45 AM
This is a quote form the link I provided....

"The history of his lau gar as we were told by Master yau - summer course 2000 at scarbrough.....

Finally, The forms of lau gar are few numbering less then 12 in total but then again the style is of haka origin and does fit the suppossed mould given for haka styles i.e quick to learn with more emphasis on the useable than flamboyant techniques.

Rebus....Midd*****rough UK"

This is a quote from one Lau gar student.....attibuted to Master Yau

Interesting that this isn't what I have been lead to believe by othe Lau gar stylists that I have met....

Cheers, R

FIRE HAWK
10-22-2001, 04:15 AM
I was told that these styles are Hakka buy a guy named Wilson at Chow Gar Sifu Mark Leungs website .They told me that these styles are Hakka Lau Gar Gao as they call it they said was a hakka style and these other styles Li Gar Gao,Dil Gar Gao,Chu Gar Gao,Pak Mei,Lung Ying, and all the southern mantis styles .And i would imagine there are other Hakka styles to like Hakka Unicorn style and hakka Snake style. http://members.madasafish.com/~tonglong/