PDA

View Full Version : Eagle claw kung-fu

Shaolin Fighter
09-26-2002, 11:44 AM
Has anybody here haved studied Eagle claw kung-fu? If so do you like it and is it a good means of self-defense? Are there any joint locking techniques and if so are they realistic in today's world? I'm just trying to find out some info before I study this art. Thankyou in advance...

ngokfei
09-29-2002, 09:36 PM
yep

Chin Na (kahm Na) ie: joint locks is the trade mark of the style.

I like it. Northern Shaolin Long Fist Basics, Fan Tzi stepping and whipping power. Ying Jow: Joint Locking and Vital STriking skills.

What more could you want from one style.:)

Snake
10-11-2002, 11:12 AM
Hi! i've been studying Eagle Claw for a few years now, and I can only echo the comments made above. I really enjoy the system, although it can be on the complex side, I enjoy the challenge. :) Lots of joint locks and a lot of techniques that are excellent in self defense.

Tainan Mantis
10-11-2002, 11:13 PM
Do any of you Eagle Claw people practice 8 Step Continuous punches?

Ben Gash
10-17-2002, 03:54 PM
To be honest it doesn't really use any more Chin Na than any other longarm style, they just make a bigger deal out of it. The forms look largely like longfist. It's a good, solid system and I'd certainly recommend it.

SETANSI
10-17-2002, 04:20 PM
from training Choi Lay Fut since 1986 I have a good Idea what long fist looks like. My gwoon did a demo in castro valley with Jeanie lau's Eagle Claw School. From what I saw there Eagle Claw is a Northern Style and very different from long fist wich is a southern style .
dont know many who think they are similar

Brad
10-17-2002, 09:53 PM
Most longfist systems are northern :confused:

Arhat of Fury
10-18-2002, 09:01 AM
from my understanding longfist is southern.
Brad are you sure?

AOF

GeneChing
10-18-2002, 09:33 AM
Hers's some videos to get you started:
http://store.yahoo.com/martialartsmart/vid72joinloc.html
http://store.yahoo.com/martialartsmart/vid72joinloc1.html
http://store.yahoo.com/martialartsmart/pr-ma11.html
http://store.yahoo.com/martialartsmart/videagclawbo.html

sean_stonehart
10-18-2002, 10:53 AM
AOF... it's always been my understanding that long fist is a northern style, but southern system have long arm techniques in them like CLF & Hung Gar. Long fist systems include Hua, Pao, Zha, Hong, etc... That's always been my understanding.

Mind you... I'm easily correctable too.. :D

Arhat of Fury
10-18-2002, 11:08 AM
Interesting,
I dont think I ever read or was told specifically that longfist was southern, it was more of a default belief.

Anyone have more input.

AOF

ngokfei
10-18-2002, 08:10 PM
Yes it is a compiled northern Long Fist Style.
Ying Kuen was the original name of the style. A Fan Tzi teacher took the basic forms he had (alot of shaolin sets) and added the trademark Clawing andLocking technqiues to them. So actually there is not true Eagle Claw style just what it is traditionally called Fan Tzi Ying Jow.

Most of the Long Fist Eagle Claw sets only have rudimentary locking skills. The set Lin Kuen (connecting Fist) which was compiled by Chan Tzi Ching a famous Eagle Claw teacher, has the most Joint Locking and counters in one set. Why because he truly only wanted to practice those skills and so he put them together in one form. His inspiration comes from a much older Lin Wan Kuen set and the Completeness of the Tam Tui form he learned from the Chin Wu group.

Today I've seen 3 different versions of this set. Most popular is the one that Lau Fat Man learned from Chan Tzi Ching but even then there are differences between each of his students. Chan also had a much earlier version which was very simple only about 3 movements for each road. Then there is the much newer version which is said to have been formulated by Chan's students after his passing during the war. My personal opinion is that the students didn'thave much time to practice during the war (no kidding) so certain things were forgotten so they just merged a new set together with the documented names. (just my opinion)

Any how Lin Kuen is the set to learn if you really want to see how the style is really practiced.

For a glimpse of this set Sifu Wing Kit Lam of the Chan Tzi Ching Lineage has put out 3 books on Eagle Claw. His first one which documents the classic form poetry has at the back of the book the 1st 10 roads of lin kuen demonstrated. They closely match the form that I learned from Sifu Shum.

I think the website for ordering is kungfumaster.hk.com He also has good books on the Classic poetry of the Chin Wu and Praying Mantis sets.:)

dsn
10-22-2002, 01:46 PM
I'm currently doing Northern Eagle Claw here in Atlanta. If you like locking and heavy gymnastics, you'll probably like Eagle Claw as well.

Whose school are you looking at?

-
Jeremiah Spradlin - North Eagle Claw Student - Atlanta

sean_stonehart
10-23-2002, 04:18 AM
Jeremiah, I saw you Saturday at Sifu Walker's demo in College Park. Good performance of that form!

dsn
10-23-2002, 06:24 AM
Wow. Thanks a lot. I've only recently gotten Ng Fu Kuen to a point where I could make it all the way through the form without collapsing from exhaustion. :) Now, all I need to do is be able to hit the 'splits' directly after the back handspring.

-
Jeremiah Spradlin

sean_stonehart
10-23-2002, 07:06 AM
That's cool... I've got a spear form that does the same thing to me. :D

Spilts however isn't one of those things I'll be able to hit. My hips just don't let me get that far down. I'm think flexible enough to hit them, but the ball & socket joints lock & I'm over.

Dedication
10-24-2002, 02:15 PM
I have been in eagle claw for almost two years, under Sifu Reed. If i go to the University of Pittsburgh i will end up studying under Master Rothrock (My sifus teacher). I like alot of it, however i feel many of the joint lock techniques are very hard to pull off. I pay 65 a month for 3-5 classes a week at 45 minutes per class. What do you guys pay and how much time a week do you do eagle claw?

dsn
10-25-2002, 08:07 AM
I've definitely heard of Sifu Rothrock; he and my Sifu, Master Joel Rodriguez, both trained under Grandmaster Leung Shum at the NY school.

As for the dues, I play 75 dollars a month to show up to any classes during that month. We have classes 6 days a week, two or three hour-and-a-half classes a day.

Our class schedules are at http://www.yingjowpaiatl.com if you are interested in looking them up.

Also, if you ever get a chance to take a class under Leung Shum, do so! Si Kung Shum visited our school about 6 months ago, and I picked up some really good tips in the 3 hours of classes he taught.

-
Jeremiah Spradlin - Atlanta, Georgia

ngokfei
11-02-2002, 10:24 PM
dedication>

Locking techniques are hard to apply. Just keep practicing. Have you been successful in accomplishign the Jow Da Stage. If not, then I wouldn't try to exceed my ability. Can lead to some very nasty joint lock reversals if you are practicing with a higher level practitioner.

Wind Dragon
11-25-2002, 05:56 PM
I'd like to know anything about the Eagle's Claw technique. I'm poor, I can't afford any professional lessons, so I go online and find out whatever I can. I not allowed to order any videos, so I try to download whatever Martial Art videos for free. I wish to know the Eagle's Claw technique and I would like someone to teach me step by step....If that's not a problem....If it is, let me know....

A person is not dead until that person is decapitated....

tparkerkfo
11-25-2002, 08:09 PM
I know very little about eagle claw other than it is a northern style, it has a lot of joint locks, and is a long fist system. My teacher studied some eagle claw and we do a couple of the Ching Wu forms.

What I wanted to comment on was the long fist comments. Long Fist is a name of an art that is taught at Chin Wu, Chang Chuan I beleive. But it seems it can also identify the type of attacks as well. Long Arm style tend to be from the north and tend to be long range. Of course this is jsut a sterotype and exceptions do occur. Southern systems typically are short arm styles. Though Hung Gar and wing chun have lots of long range attacks were the arms are fully extended. In wing chun we call it long bridge, and it has specific power or energy associated with it. Hung Gar Tiger and Crane has several sections that I have heard were incorporated into it from another style because of the long bridge.

Not sure if any one was interested, but thought I would comment.
Tom
________
Coach handbags (http://icoachhandbags.com/)

Tainan Mantis
11-26-2002, 07:58 PM
I posted some video clips on the Mantis forum on a thread entitled Time for mpegs.
It includes Eagle Claw 2 man drill and forms as well as weapons and Mantis.

yu shan
11-26-2002, 11:08 PM
I suggest Tainan Mantis`s thread, time for mpegs, a must see! He has a great video for the offering...with too much info for the price. Really good two-person stuff here , trust me!

phantom
11-27-2002, 11:55 AM
Okay, now it seems to me that this style is more for very young people. I remeber looking through a book by Sifu Leung Shum that said that while this style can be learned by anybody, for people over 30 years old, this style is more for sport than self-defense. Could somebody please tell me if I am right? If I am right, then why is this true? Thanks in advance.

Day Tong
11-27-2002, 01:12 PM
Phantom -

What Sifu Shum Leung was saying, is that anyone can learn Northern Eagle Claw (young & old), but in order to learn the gymnastics safely (front handspring, back handspring, butterfly kick, hand stand, kip up, leg splits...etc.) which are found in the forms. Then it is better to start at a very young age because your joints, tendons and muscles are very soft, so it makes it easier for you to stretch the body to prevent injuries and also when you are young you have no fear when it come to learning tumbling techniques.

The fists, weapons and partner sets in the Northern Eagle Claw system are very flashy, which makes them great for demonstrations and tournaments.

However, do not be fooled by the flashy forms, the Northern Eagle Claw system is great for learning how to protect yourself and your loved ones on the mean streets.

phantom
11-27-2002, 01:21 PM
Thanks, Day Tong. I really appreciate it. Peace.:D