PDA

View Full Version : Shaolin DaMo Ging Gan Jin

Eddie
09-26-2002, 11:22 PM
Does anyone know of a Shaolin form (meditation like) called DaMo Ging Gan Jin (or similar spelling). I saw a master perform the set, and it was so amazing how he lived himself in his movements.

The form starts of in sitting position (yoga like posture) and then progress to movement, with taiji-like movements (I say taiji like, for lack of better description).

Another question I have, which is somewhat controvertial I suppose. How much does Traditional Shaolin Kung Fu Resemble Modern Wushu? Is it safe to say, that forms like Shao Hong Chuan really are traditional Shaolin, or is it a blend of traditional and modern techniques? Allot of the shaolin I have seen performed by monks and others alike, are very modern like (or so it seems to me).

I'm just querious for interest sake. Although I do think that the shaolin we see today, are very close to the "original", one cannot wonder how much were "lost"so to speak. Contemporary taiji, for eg, is very much like traditional taiji, but in my opinion lacks the internal intend in many ways. Is this the same for modern day shaolin?

Please, Im not trying to discredit shaolin. I am really trying to learn.

JAZA
09-26-2002, 11:46 PM
Eddie I´m not so skilled like you in the knowledges of kung fu, but I agree with you in that the modern shaolin formas are wushized, I've seen the traditional CLF 18 lohand sets that its said to be pure shaolin and the modern 18, and its gets many similitudes but major differences like the acrobatics and the sense of externality. The same with siu lohan.
May be the monks have to show this ways , to keep the public ashtonized. I think that there is more traditional shaolin in the arts that have a shaolin root like hung gar and CLf.

Shaolin Master
09-27-2002, 01:42 AM
In performance flowery and acrobatic movements are added for the audience, unfortunately there are more ordinary people than martial artists so without a flip or two some may consider it boring.

Xiao Hong Quan is traditional Shaolin but anything can be wushu-nized, the mimicing sets like tiger, dragon and the like are newer creations but the older fist methods are not..... so just be aware that what you see is wushu but the set in its pure and original shape is old,traditional and classic....such as Xiao Hong, Qi Xing, ChangHuXinYiMen, etc.,...

GeneChing
09-27-2002, 09:50 AM
I think you mean this form - http://store.yahoo.com/martialartsmart/pr-gs008.html

Eddie
09-30-2002, 03:56 AM
gene,
I asked master wong's son if it was the same form as jin gan chuan and he said its different. Apparently this form is is one of the highest level shaolin forms, but that is just about all I know about this. It looks pretty amazing and it seems to work heavily on flexibility etc. What I can do, is send you a copy of a home tape with this master performing the form, if you are interested. The only thing is, you will have to convert it from pal to ntsc yourself.
will chat again later
eddie

GeneChing
10-01-2002, 10:19 AM
Can you get me the chinese characters? Or just a translation might help. You don't have to send me a video.