PDA

View Full Version : one against twenty

cogg
09-27-2002, 03:52 AM
a bloke came up to me and some class mates the other day at the train station and said "whats that for" pointing at the uniform. to which i replied "kung Fu". he said " only works in the cinema, what you gonna do one against twenty?" with a smug look on his face. i said "pull out my gattling gun and shoot them all" soon shut him up. maybe not the answer he was looking for tho:rolleyes:

maybe i should lay off the predator film

Former castleva
09-27-2002, 11:33 AM
Are you asking something or...?

That sounded like a light verbal attack,you defended against with reasonable force.

Of course you could have given him a sarcastic answer,but I think that would be against verbal self-defense rules.

Next time say "Take on them in the cinema".
;)

Dark Knight
09-27-2002, 12:19 PM
People say that al the time. Ask them when the last time 20 poeple attacked someone in your city.

You can tell him you do it for self defense but the biggest reason is because you like to do it.

SanSoo Student
09-27-2002, 08:10 PM
I think against twenty people, I would rather use dual ingrams...it wastes less bullets than a gatling gun.

Merryprankster
09-28-2002, 04:59 AM
Agreed.

Riot shotguns, tear gas and firehoses are also very useful.

rogue
09-28-2002, 05:12 PM
Why the ****ens are you wearing a kung fu uniform in a train station?

chingei
09-29-2002, 09:55 PM
Originally posted by rogue
Why the ****ens are you wearing a kung fu uniform in a train station?

excellent question.

MonkeySlap Too
09-30-2002, 12:36 PM
Hmm, I just use my implanted sattelite radio to tap out coordinates in morse code. This triggers sattelites circulasting the Earth at 22,300 feet to drop small ceramic coated steel rods the size of toothpicks. They are targeted with a holographic laser system and hit with ahem pin point acuracy, vaporizing my 20 opponents.

Then I strike a pose.

But useally the delusions end when the morphine wears off and I feel all the broken bones.

apoweyn
10-01-2002, 11:39 AM
"same thing you'd do against 20 people, i expect."

cogg
10-01-2002, 02:00 PM
was waering uniform in train station cuz id just done my first demo, at London china town and was on way back home. like the idea of them satellite thangs il have to buy a couple with the next pay check, not to sure about the morphine tho.!

WingTsun20
10-01-2002, 05:38 PM
Ever seen Keith Kernspecht fight over 20 people. He walks through them like doing a Sunday walk!

Do WT and find out more!

one against 20? erm.... let me think......... the best Self Defence for fitness and defence is Running! lol

old jong
10-01-2002, 07:22 PM
....20 of his students yeah!....:rolleyes:

chingei
10-01-2002, 08:11 PM
Originally posted by cogg
was waering uniform in train station cuz id just done my first demo, at London china town and was on way back home.

The idea of 'changing clothes' didn't occur to you?

Repulsive Monkey
10-02-2002, 07:44 AM
Definitely asking for it if you ask me, how could you not expect someone to say something going around dressed like that? Plus you'd probably catch a cold wearing damp clothes like that during the evening.

Mr Punch
10-02-2002, 10:28 PM
You went from London to Wolverhampton, cos you couldn't be bothered changing? No you didn't, you thought you were the dog's bollocks didn't you!? I'm surprised you didn't get attacked by 20 people! :D

Leonidas
10-03-2002, 05:49 AM
But why should he change his clothes. I dont know, i guess i'm stubborn but its not like he was in a chicken suit. Punk kids always start trouble no matter what you wear.

neptunesfall
10-03-2002, 07:37 AM
wearing a martial arts uniform makes you more of a target for this crap. change your clothes and stop trying to look tough.

Former castleva
10-03-2002, 10:15 AM
I agree with neptunesfall.

You donīt have to lay low with what you are and do,but knowing that insecure people (generally young men I think) tend to pick trouble when they notice something like that,this is why it has been recommended by some SD instructors to keep combat arts as your own information to avoid challenges by egomaniacs.
Itīs completely legal and you can do it,but just like roaming dark alleys at night at bad neighbourhood (which is completely legal too) it has itīs bad sides.

:)

Kope
10-07-2002, 12:30 PM
I have to agree -- going around in public in one's martial arts gear is akin to standing on the corner with a big **** sign saying "pick a fight here!." It's stupid and will result in more conflicts than you probably want.

One of the precepts of good self-defense is prudent behavior. Most problems originate by someone doing something that places them in a situation where danger is more likely. Most problems are avoidable by not doing that.

Yeah, it's perfectly legal. But it is also perfectly stupid. Don't do it.

cogg
10-09-2002, 01:50 PM
you lot are worse than a sewing circle! let me clear this up. i was on a weekend course in south london and had been training before the demo, the train ride to the demo was only a small ride away. all my things stayed in south london where i had been training, so i only took myself and my uniform that i had been wearing and still was. i was on stage only twice for a total of about five minutes so i was hardly dripping with sweat. and as for the comment of me thinking im a tough guy.... in no way do i think like that, growing up where i live ive had my ass wooped many a time and i take that as a lesson. dont be so quick to judge (a good precept of self defence);)

Liokault
10-09-2002, 01:59 PM
Come on you wear your uniform all the time dont you?

What is it?....i bet its pink satin!!!

cogg
10-10-2002, 05:07 AM
lol. with frills on the cuffs and polka dot trousers. think il keep my little stories to myself in future.

Liokault
10-10-2002, 06:16 AM
Look Cogg on this forum Brit guys have only one use:

We are here to rub the Americans faces in there love of guns and lack of gun controle.......Along with their huge chance of death from gun shot wounds.......get used to it.

Merryprankster
10-10-2002, 08:11 AM
Actually, you're just here to provide comic relief with your bad teeth, worse food, and improperly spelled words. :D

Liokault
10-10-2002, 09:27 AM
How did you know i have bad teeth?

ewallace
10-10-2002, 10:24 AM
I find it very Ironic that a Brit is strongly opposed to Americans keeping guns in their homes. Stinkin Redcoats.

Liokault
10-10-2002, 10:34 AM
I find it very Ironic that a Brit is strongly opposed to Americans keeping guns in their homes. Stinkin Redcoats.

Ah but I am not at all opposed to Americans keeping guns in their homes...or anywhere come to that.

In fact i find it really funny that you get to take pot shots at each other, have a massive chance of being killed by a gun yet still feel that every American should have access to a gun......Please dont change any of this!! Even for your own sakes.

White Minority
10-10-2002, 12:32 PM
I have enough problems fighting one person.

SLC
11-01-2002, 08:56 AM
I know what you mean, Minority. Maybe we could team up on him if you can get him anywhere near southeast Georgia. If we can't whip him, at least down here we can shoot him. :D

Hau Tien
11-01-2002, 10:08 AM
I wear my uniform in public quite often... going home after class, I sometimes stop in at the grocery store, or pop in to pick up some food at a restaurant. I've never had a problem. I've had people ask "Oh! What's the uniform for?", to which I simply reply "Martial Arts". A few who know more ask what type, and I tell them. It's never gone further than that.

Of course, people don't generally pick fights with me, as I'm a rather large man, and people around here are easily intimidated by size :)

jointlock
11-10-2002, 09:16 AM
Originally posted by neptunesfall
wearing a martial arts uniform makes you more of a target for this crap. change your clothes and stop trying to look tough. Man you must be from a different planet. Here in Dallas alot of people wear their MA uniform in public. I did it too for a while because the locker room was infested with contageous foot fungus. Other people just like to change at home, what's the problem anyway? It sounds like you guys think a person should be ashamed to be a martial artist. "trying to look like a badass"? What about the military guys you see wearing their uniform in public? etc. etc. You must be arrogant to think people should all change their tune and dress like you, to please you. It's a matter of perception. I doubt the "baddass" thing even crosses the minds of most people who wear their uniform outside the dojo, military, security post, etc. Why should a martial artist change clothes just to go home? Why do most people put their work uniform on in the morning before they even leave their house? Why do people who train in a gym put their shorts and muscle shirts on before they leave the house? I think common sense would tell you it's a matter of convenience. Why would you change clothes before you left the dojo if you were only going home? Ask yourself this question, "Who are you trying to please" by doing so? That's a lame load of self righteous bull. Tell that to the people in China and other far eastern countries, where in some areas, 25% of the people you see in public are wearing what appears to be some kind of kung fu uniform. Why don't you go tell them how to dress.

sweaty_dog
11-10-2002, 09:44 AM
I like to do my grocery shopping in speedos and wrestling boots.

chingei
11-10-2002, 10:17 AM
Originally posted by jointlock
Tell that to the people in China and other far eastern countries, where in some areas, 25% of the people you see in public are wearing what appears to be some kind of kung fu uniform. Why don't you go tell them how to dress.

where did you come up with the figure 25%? oh that's right, you yanked it out of your orafice.

'wearing what appears to be' would mean you are a dope who is imposing your Saturday-afternoon-movie-fest menality on the real world.

chingei
11-10-2002, 10:19 AM
What about the military guys you see wearing their uniform in public? .

why don't you show some respect and not equate MA duds with the uniform of the armed forces?

jointlock
11-10-2002, 01:56 PM
Originally posted by chingei

where did you come up with the figure 25%? oh that's right, you yanked it out of your orafice.
No sir, that's a conservative estimate. My teacher used to live in china and he says that in some places he went, at least 1 in 4 people wear traditional Chinese clothing that is identical to or similar in style to kung fu uniforms. And if he says at least 1 in 4, he means AT LEAST ONE IN FOUR.

jointlock
11-10-2002, 02:04 PM
why don't you show some respect and not equate MA duds with the uniform of the armed forces?
I think it is you who needs to learn some "respect". I don't think you know the meaning of the word. Telling someone they pulled a figure out of their "ORAFICE" because you disagree with them, and calling them a "DOPE" for the same reason is not "respect"ful.

Let me refresh your memory as to your level of "respect":

Where did you come up with the figure 25%? oh that's right, you yanked it out of your orafice.
'wearing what appears to be' would mean you are a dope who is imposing your Saturday-afternoon-movie-fest menality on the real world.

chingei
11-10-2002, 03:45 PM

No sir, that's a conservative estimate. My teacher used to live in china and he says that in some places he went, at least 1 in 4 people wear traditional Chinese clothing that is identical to or similar in style to kung fu uniforms. And if he says at least 1 in 4, he means AT LEAST ONE IN FOUR.

You need to go ask your teacher for clarification. Some part of an ensemble that contains elements of traditional 'clothing' style is not the same as a MA uniform by anyone's standard. 1 in 4 is questionable in any case, unless your teacher lived there prior to 1949.

The very few people I ever saw wearing identifiably MA uniforms in China were the subject of strange looks by adults and taunts by youngsters, just like anywhere else.

chingei
11-10-2002, 03:47 PM

Telling someone they pulled a figure out of their "ORAFICE" because you disagree with them, and calling them a "DOPE" for the same reason is not "respect"ful.

You received a response to your own words. Reference to any others was not a part of the post. and if the orafice fits........

LEGEND
11-10-2002, 07:44 PM
There was an YOUNG ASIAN guy wearing YAMASAKI BJJ jacket going to a club. He seem very very comfortable with it on. He was a target for some heckling...he stepped to the hecklers and quickly got JUMPED. Bouncers saved his LIFE. Don't make yourself a target by wearing MARTIAL ARTs stuff. It's silly...it's like wearing a sweater saying "I'm a badazz!". People will try to test you. And when I mean PEOPLE...more that one.

Shadow Dragon
11-10-2002, 07:56 PM
"one against twenty" ???

What would I do.

NOTHING, changes of it happening are very slim and if it does happen guess what the outcome will be like.
And I don't care who you are or how many people past masters of your style beat it will still be the same more or less.

As for wearing MA clothing in public, why not but be prepared for whatever happens.

Have fun.

Kristoffer
11-13-2002, 10:42 AM
I think people who weres martial art clothes in public are EXTREMLY geeky :D And they deserve too get their ass handed to them. And yeah that includes those 'one in four'
hrmhrmBULL****hrmhrm asian guys. I see youve never been there?

and 20 on one, only a bad martial artist would try to fight his ground. nuff said

friday
11-25-2002, 05:23 AM
i'm not sure whether anyone reads this thread anymore haha lazy me didn't even check the date of the last post.

thought i'd add my part :)

during an intense training period in hk, i'd go training and sometimes i'd stay till about 10pm to 11pm at nite at my sifu's kwoon. i'd wear my uniform and training gear home. my sifu actually told me it would be a good idea and would offer me some protection when i left the kwoon so late. anyway no one ever tried to start trouble with me which was good. apparently it has something to do with respect and 'face' to my sifu. so if anyone tried to start something with me (gangsters etc) they'd get busted for it.

when i came back to Australia i don't wear my training gear home if its got the school name etc.

i'd expect to get heckled in Australia if i did that :).

taijiquan_student
11-28-2002, 01:37 PM
I wear my school shirt all the time, but it's just the name of the school in chinese characters, and some of the newer shirts have the website on the back. I just like the shirts. No one really knows it's a martial arts shirt, except one day a while ago I had it on and a guy came up to me and told me he did xingyi, and I told him I did taiji and we talked for a bit.
People who wear full-on karate gi's in public are d o r k s. It's just really weird to see a guy in a gi. That is really advertising yourself as a badass and would probably invite trouble.