PDA

View Full Version : Southern in Vancouver

Mu
10-19-2001, 10:48 PM
Does anyone know of a So.Chi. school in Vancouver? I'd be deeply indebted if you could help me.

"The uninformed are religious, the informed are political, the very informed are wealthy, and the enlightened are not." God©™

brucelee2
10-20-2001, 06:48 AM
HI,

I know of teachers of many different styles in Vancouver- wing chun, hung gar, tai shing pek kwar, bagua, tai chi, wu shu... you can also email me through my profile if you like.

Go forward, my son, and
be like unto a torch
upon the darkness. Thou
are stripped now, of all
that was before. Look
not to thy fellow men
for guidance or
countenance- they canst
advise you no longer.
Thou shalt be as dust
now, and dust shall be
upon the tongues of thy
enemy. Verily, thou
shalt herald the coming
of the new age upon
man."

[This message was edited by brucelee2 on 10-20-01 at 10:04 PM.]

diego
10-21-2001, 02:28 AM
hopga.bakhok-lama???
thanks

"I finish the job with a tiger claw into the throat. Remember guys'INSERT CORNY WHITEBOY VOICE' use extreme violence against your opponents always, that will discourage them from hurting other people" kungfu site technique sec.VS?."...

brucelee2
10-21-2001, 05:07 AM
the only tibetan teacher I know of in vancouver is warrenoh, he posts here sometimes, look for a thread of his on this forum about tibetan arts- you might have to go back several weeks or a month or so. good luck

Go forward, my son, and
be like unto a torch
upon the darkness. Thou
are stripped now, of all
that was before. Look
not to thy fellow men
for guidance or
countenance- they canst
advise you no longer.
Thou shalt be as dust
now, and dust shall be
upon the tongues of thy
enemy. Verily, thou
shalt herald the coming
of the new age upon
man."

fiercest tiger
10-21-2001, 06:22 AM
i think there is ykm in vancouver!

check out the ykm usa website?

come & visit us!
http://home.iprimus.com.au/ykm
yaukungmun@hotmail.com

Ross
10-22-2001, 12:28 AM
There is a club that practices both YKM and Bak mei from what I can remember. You might want to check with someone like Jon Funk (7 star/northern praying mantis) who has connections to alot of different organisations. I'm sure he is in the Van phone book.

Cheers R

Paul Skrypichayko
10-22-2001, 12:49 AM
Go to Kuen Way martial arts supply, they should know most of the schools in Vancouver and area.

firepalm
10-22-2001, 10:59 PM
Choy Lee Fut;
1) Wong Ha Athletic Club/Choi Lee Fut Canada - 306 Jackson
2) Mathew Wing @ Strathcona Community Center
3) Peter Wong @ Hon Hsing Athletic Ass'n Chinatown
4) Hilbert Yiu / Shung Ying Kung Fu @ Renfrew Community Center
5) Szeto's Shaolin Choi Lee Fut @ Hastings & Willingdon
6)Tony Lee @ Willingdon Heights Community Center in Burnaby
7) Lum Dat @ Lum's Benevolent Ass'n in Chinatown
Hung Gar;
1) Ken Low's Shaolin Kung Fu Training Center in the Yellow Pages
2) Raymond Cheung's Shaolin Hung Gar @ Kensington Park Community Center
Yau Kung Mun;
1) John Cheng @ World Martial Arts (Victor Fu's) on Victoria Drive @ 57th
Loong Ying (Dragon)
1) Ritchie Chow @ Kerrisdale Community Center
Tibet Lama
1) Yue Shan Society on Pender in Chinatown (next to Hon Hsing)
White Crane
1) Vincent Chow Bak Hok Kung Fu on Main @ Broadway
2) Fan Yeung Chung (Frankie Fan) Fitness Center on Kingsway @ Slocan
various;
QE Park on weekend early mornings has a couple of southern style guys amongst the countless Tai Chi people...

Hope that gives a place to start...

iron_silk
10-23-2001, 04:12 AM
What style and where do you study firepalm?

diego
10-23-2001, 05:09 AM
1) Ritchie Chow @ Kerrisdale Community Center
Tibet Lama
any contact or bio info
or can i check the yellow pages and ask him his lineage
thanks

"I finish the job with a tiger claw into the throat. Remember guys'INSERT CORNY WHITEBOY VOICE' use extreme violence against your opponents always, that will discourage them from hurting other people" kungfu site technique sec.VS?."...

firepalm
10-23-2001, 09:05 AM
Diego,
Ritchie Chow is a Loong Ying teacher that studied under Neil Chan (Chow Fook student), can be found at the Kerrisdale Community Center. If you are refering rather to Tibet Lama, then Yue Shan Society on Pender directly across from the Chinese Cultural Center is the place to go. GM Tony Jay teaches there. He also has two students (brothers) Tony & Henry Kam that teach (but where I'm afraid I don't know).

Iron Silk
I no longer study and have done a little of this & that, just have lots of friends in the community & stay informed...

diego
10-22-2006, 05:41 PM
Diego,
Ritchie Chow is a Loong Ying teacher that studied under Neil Chan (Chow Fook student), can be found at the Kerrisdale Community Center. If you are refering rather to Tibet Lama, then Yue Shan Society on Pender directly across from the Chinese Cultural Center is the place to go. GM Tony Jay teaches there. He also has two students (brothers) Tony & Henry Kam that teach (but where I'm afraid I don't know).

Iron Silk
I no longer study and have done a little of this & that, just have lots of friends in the community & stay informed...

firepalm if you still post here...you know what the status of tibet white crane in vancouver is like now? I moved to 26 and main and noticed Vincent Chow's Pak hok school is 5 minutes from me so I thought I'd check that out...You heard anything about his school? says he has trained champions.

firepalm
10-23-2006, 12:05 AM
Vincent Chow is still teaching, he taught Tom Laroche, a former top kickboxer from the 70s a long time ago.

For Hap Ga you also have Sifu Wilson Wu @ www.kungfu-ocean.com

Tony Jay teaches Lama, his student Tony Kam is current president of the Western Canada Chinese Martial Arts Ass'n @ www.kungfu-canada.org

Hope this helps!

diego
10-23-2006, 09:02 PM
Thanks Firepalm

Satori Science
11-09-2006, 06:02 PM
Does any one know if there is a sifu in richmond (or any ware in Van) teaching Bak Hsing Choy Lay fut? I met some one on my last trip to the tiger balms that said there was a school in Richmond and I would love to track it down.

thanks...

firepalm
11-10-2006, 03:52 AM
www.honlee.com

www.choylaifut.com

www.clfcanada.com

www.shungying.ca

iron_silk
11-10-2006, 10:41 AM
Did you catch the CBA celebration on Sunday? Lion dance and kung fu.

Are you going to Jack Wong's tournament?

Satori Science
11-10-2006, 02:20 PM
What are the Jack Wong tournament details? And a thank you to for the CLF info in Richmond but these were all Hung Sing schools so my search continues. The Bak Hsing Kwoon I am looking for may be under the instruction of a man named Ernie Cow.

iron_silk
11-10-2006, 02:26 PM
Jack Wong's tournament is called Traditional Kung Fu Invitational 2006

Here is the website: http://www.traditionalkungfu.com that should be right

Why you so keen on Buk Sing CLF?

Satori Science
11-10-2006, 04:38 PM
thanks for the tournament info! As for my interest I am an indoor student of a Bak Hsing master in Western Canada. My Sifu and SiGung taught in the Vancouver area for many years and were actually the first school to teach non chinese in the early 1970's. My Sifu was unaware that anyone was still teaching in the area until I met a Hung Sing student at Tiger Balm 05 that said he knew of a Bak Hsing Kwoon in Richmond. Just trying to track down any distant relatives out there.

cheers..

firepalm
11-10-2006, 11:26 PM
Are you sure you are not referring to Ernie / Ernest Yee? If so he hasn't taught since the 70s / 80s.

The teacher of Ernie that you are most likely referrring to would be Raymond Leung (Leung Lap Yau), a former Bak Sing Choy Lee Fut (sometimes referred to as Bak Sing Fut Ga) instructor during the 70s, turned Restaurant owner, turned aspiring politican turned Real Estate agent.

Many persons that teach in BC as well as the Prairies trace themselves to Raymond Leung.

Currently though there is no one else teaching Bak Sing style, although some have said that Hon Lee teaches Bak Sing while others say Hung Sing but I have never actually spoken to him so can't vouch one way or the other.

As to distant relatives there is a Master Lung Chee in Edmonton that is one of the oldest living Bak Sing masters and was a student of either Tam Sam or Tam Fei Pang, sorry can't quite remember exactly which master.

As to other relative students of GM Raymond Leung there are still others out there from his school but they don't teach CLF and have gone into other styles such as Ken Low (www.kenlowkungfu.com) and Fred Whiting (occasionally teaching Wushu in Richmond).

Hope this helps!

firepalm
11-10-2006, 11:43 PM
Hello
No sorry didn't make it to the CBA banquet, knew of it, just not interested. Will most likely be at Jack Wong's for a look.
:cool:

Satori Science
11-11-2006, 07:55 AM
thanks the info does help.

In fact Rayond Lueng is my Si Gung, My Sifu is Henrey Sune the Di Sihing from Lueng SiGung's school. As far as my Sifu is aware no one is teaching in Vancouver these days but as I said I met some one a couple years ago who said there was some one teaching still.

I definatley apprecaite the help

Can you guys give me a quick list of the tournaments out there that you know about.
cheers,,

firepalm
11-11-2006, 12:18 PM
Every year June Can Ams - www.kenlowkungfu.com
Every year March Tiger Balms - www.mantiskungfu.com
Every year two events (usually) - www.wushufestival.com
Every year in the fall - www.traditionalkungfu.com
There is also a open event run by a promoter Bill Hunter usually in October but don't have website Western Canadian Challenge / Fireball

Hope this helps!

wu-ji
11-11-2006, 11:53 PM
http://www.konghankungfu.com

Coach Daniel Kun is very experienced and a very honest straightforward person. He doesn't even ask people to call him sifu.

Ngo Cho Kun is direct and practical. Kun is especially motivated in preparing his students for tournaments for both forms and sanshou.

If you are really serious in the self-defense and competition aspects, I'd strongly suggest you to contact him.